The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 27, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Brandon.Glidden

870 upgrade

Alright, I have an 870 express with a pistol grip stock, and the surefire light attachment with an 18 inch barrel. I want to upgrade it to just a pistol grip, and a threaded barrel for the remington breacher barrel. Has anyone on here ever used the breacher barrel? In comparison to the Mossberg 500, is it better or less than equal in quality? The reason I do not have a mossberg 500 are for two reasons, breaking down the 500 requires a tool for the choke, and my surefire light attachment doesnt fit a 500. With that said, I just want to upgrade my 870 to the fullest potential, does anyone have a good sling suggestion, along with a sling mount? And if anyone has any other suggestions, add them please.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So we have decided that you need this for offensive rather than defensive uses... Check...
Quote:
I want to upgrade it to just a pistol grip,
Most with actual extensive shotgun training and/or use will tell you that this is far from an upgrade... Far less useful control of the weapon is just one reason.

Quote:
and a threaded barrel for the remington breacher barrel. Has anyone on here ever used the breacher barrel?
I am guessing you really mean a breacher "choke" that threads into the muzzle?
If so, you will find very few American civilians that have ever "used" a breacher to breach... That would be silly in almost every possible sense. Breachers are for dynamic ENTRANCE into a building and require different ammo than used to stop 2/4/6 legged threats.
You will find many who have fired through a breacher equipped barrel while just bustin' off a few rounds for the heck of it.

Quote:
In comparison to the Mossberg 500, is it better or less than equal in quality?
Both are no less a novelty than toy hand cuffs so which ever novelty you prefer would be up to you.
Quote:
The reason I do not have a mossberg 500 are for two reasons, breaking down the 500 requires a tool for the choke,
Any screw in choke could, at anytime, require more than a firm grip of the bare paw to crank loose.

The screw in chokes I am familiar with are real chokes for choking the shot load upon exit and for these a nickle or quarter are all the tool I usually need. But if I can't pinch the coin hard enough, I still have my leatherman pliers to deal with it.

Quote:
and my surefire light attachment doesnt fit a 500.
Maybe... There is an app for that...

Quote:
With that said, I just want to upgrade my 870 to the fullest potential,
You will find few serious shotgunners that would go to a PGO (pistol grip only) and many of us would immediately remove even a pistol grip stock since it reduces the overall possible grip positions, holds, and firing positions...

Quote:
does anyone have a good sling suggestion, along with a sling mount? And if anyone has any other suggestions, add them please.
There are some guys on here well versed in the various "tactical" slings... Me? I go for the $9.99 sling at walmart etc. and the cheapest swivels that work...

Brent
Old May 27, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
oneounceload

Well said Brent!

To shorten his response

do nothing except take lessons and practice - none of those mall-ninja toys will enhance the performance- most likely they will decrease the performance potential
Old May 27, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There was a thread one time a few years back and one of the long time members (might have been me but I honestly cannot remember) mentioned that they owned a PGO grip but it was in the parts bin of unused dust collecting parts... Most folks that mentioned owning one in that thread stated theirs was in a similar state of storage...

My gun was a short barrel 20 mossberg and it was how the gun came back in 89... I then tried the AR shaped Choate version and ended up trading it for a regular/conventional stock.

Brent
Old May 28, 2011, 12:30 AM   #5
MZ84

+1 hogdogs

In my short life, I've had the pleasure of knowing several SWAT officers and a few Green Berets (actual special forces guys.)

Yeah, they have shotguns with pistol grips, but they use them for ONE purpose and ONE purpose only -- blowing the locks off doors prior to entry. That's it.

One SWAT friend, a big guy, said he hates shooting his pistol grip shotgun -- and rarely does -- because it batters his hand so badly.

Any other use, they all maintain, is nothing more than Hollywood.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:20 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

I am confused as to why you want a breacher choke. If you want it ready for breaching doors, fine. If you just like the looks, fine. If you want it because you don't need a tool to screw it on or off, as do flush mounted chokes (and a quarter is being used as a tool), are you aware that you can buy extended chokes that screw in and out without a tool?