The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 23, 2009, 08:03 PM   #26
jammin1237

love_my_nagant... here is a pic of what i am talking about...

Last edited by jammin1237; July 26, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old April 23, 2009, 09:57 PM   #27
Love_My_Nagant

Hope the image came up...but this is what I want. Number 2 on my dream list of guns....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning_Automatic_Rifle_Cropped.jpg (74.7 KB, 25 views)
Old April 24, 2009, 12:11 AM   #28
robctwo

I have the BAR lightweight stalker in 300WSM with the BOSS and the same gun in .308 without. The 300WSM has significantly less felt recoil, but is loud. The BOSS is more accurate, but LOUD.

I didn't hesitate to get the alloy receiver. I expect to put 50-100 rounds a year through each gun working on loads and fiddling around. I have other guns for volume shooting. Heavier barrels and lighter calibers for the most part.

Old April 24, 2009, 07:12 AM   #29
Ruthless4christ

How many rounds do the box magazines hold?
Old April 24, 2009, 02:50 PM   #30
jgcoastie

Quote:
Don't forget about the BAR in 270Wby Mag. I have seen a couple of them out there and actually shot one, but I am sure the used price on it is really high as it was a rare one when they were making it.
These must be really rare indeed... I've never seen one and cannot find any info on the web for one... Maybe a product of someone's custom work??? If I wanted a .270 with more zing than a standard win, I'd probably go with the WSM as ammo is cheaper and ballistics are similar...

Quote:
How many rounds do the box magazines hold?
Anywhere from 4 to 2 rounds, depending on caliber... The 30/06 and below hold 4, the standard magnums hold 3, the WSM's hold 2.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 24, 2009, 03:06 PM   #31
kraigwy

Guess no one ever heard of a M1
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 24, 2009, 03:11 PM   #32
jgcoastie

Quote:
Guess no one ever heard of a M1
Last time I checked, you couldn't get an M1 in .243 Win, or .270 Win, or 25/06, or .300 Win Mag, or .338 Win Mag, or any of the WSM versions of the above...

The M1 is a great .308 (30/06 if you can find an original) but the caliber choices are somewhat limited...

It's hard to beat a Belgium Browning... The BAR isn't a lightweight, but doesn't an M1 weigh somewhere around 10lbs bone stock??? That's a lot of weight to lug around in the field... Not to mention that BAR's are more friendly to optics mounting...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 24, 2009, 04:03 PM   #33
impalacustom

Coastie they are factory chamberings, my uncle owns one and I am sure there are a few out there yet for sale. Here is one that sold, not sure how old the ad is though http://www.gunsamerica.com/987597588...therby_Mag.htm

Here is another one about 6 months ago http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=250572
Old April 24, 2009, 04:30 PM   #34
jgcoastie

Wow! $800 for a BAR You'd be hard pressed to find one in that condition for less than $1k around here...

That's pretty neat about the factory rechambering... I didn't know Browning offered that... I wonder if a .300 Wby Mag would work???

Learn something new every day... Thanks for the info...