The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 10, 1999, 01:02 PM   #1
Commander45acp

Can a m1911 front sight be staked in to place using common tools? How can I best accomplish this?
Old July 10, 1999, 04:52 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Commander, I suppose it could somehow but I've never tried it without a staking tool. Basically what you need is a relatively heavy piece that will wrap around the sprimg plug tunnel and allow you to strike directly above the sight without hitting the bottom of the tube. I have seen a few home made staking tools, but it would be much simpler just to spend the 10 bucks and take it to a smith. Kings makes a very inexpensive staking tool if you're doing more than one it would probably be worth it but by the time you pay for it and shipping it will probably run you around $23.00. George
Old July 11, 1999, 06:18 AM   #3
ZFH

I just used a punch and a dremel. I used the punch to "rivit" the tennon on the sight, and used the dremel to trim-up the extra amterial so the barrel and bushings would fit back in and to clean up the job. It's pretty simple, the staking tool isn't a nessecity, just makes it easier.

Chris
Old July 15, 1999, 01:34 PM   #4
jbyrd

I took my commander to the local gunsmith that had the special tool to install nite sites. Cost 20$. Much cheaper than another front sight or slide.

Old July 17, 1999, 04:38 PM   #5
ZFH

You'd really have to beat on it to damage the slide. Sight material is really soft and only requires a few taps to be peaned correctly. It's not that hard, it takes longer to take the gun apart.

Chris