The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2002, 05:09 PM   #1
ViLLain

.221 Fireball question

Can you make .221 Fireball cases from .223 cases?
Old April 3, 2002, 05:27 PM   #2
Keith J

With great trouble...

You need to trim, size, trim again and finally ream as the neck will be far too tight for most chambers. You will have failures along the way.

Its far easier to make .300 Whisper from .223 and this is an excellent intermediate sizing die for forming.
Old April 3, 2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Paul B.

ViLLain. Yes it can be done. I have an article from a Handloader Magazine that tells how to do it. I made up a copy for someone at a gun show, but he wsn't there the next day. If I can find it, you can have it. If I can't find it, I'll copy it again. How's that for a deal?
Paul B.
Old April 3, 2002, 07:21 PM   #4
swifter...

I've done it.

You'll need a Redding form-and-trim die, an extended shell holder, a hacksaw, a file, Imperial Sizing die Wax, a case trimmer, a neck turner, and an expander mandrel. A level of patience that'd make Job resemble a coke-crazed yuppie overachiever wouldn't hurt...
There's plenty of .221 out htere. That's the good news. The bad news is, its Remington... This can be allieviated, in part, by annealing, which is less a RPIA than the forming.
Trust me on this!

Tom
Old April 4, 2002, 12:38 AM   #5
ViLLain

Keith, the 300 Whisper is on the shopping list. Not quite ready yet. Funds or lack there of is the issue.

PaulB, that is a very generous offer, but I'm still in the exploratory stage and would not want you to go though the hassle of sending me something that I may not use. Thank you very much though.

Just ran into a new obstacle over the weekend. Some farmers are getting fairly picky about the firepower being brought to bear on their property. Lots of stories about cattle and irrigation equipment being damaged and the loud noise. It has never been a real problem in the past, but now for reasons unknown, I was being told specifically to use small caliber only. And trying to pop a rat at 150 yards with a 22 LR, I'll just say that this shooter is not very good at it. Add a 15 to 20 knot cross wind and I'm down to hitting one out of every ten shots if that.

Need a caliber that will fill as an in between for 22 LR and 22-250. Don't know if to use a 22 Magnum, Hornet, FireBall or a reduced charge 223. And which would be the quietest and most accurate with the popular barrel twist available today.

Have tons of .223 brass from shooting AR's, but no precision rifle. That's why the question, although I should have asked more like how difficult is it to make the case (Fireball) from .233 Brass.

Any responses are welcome. Even what works best for you, your special wildcat or anything else that may be interesting.
Old April 4, 2002, 01:07 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

The .22 Hornet would be viable alternative, as would be the .25-20, although finding a rifle chambered for .25-20 can be a chore.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2002, 02:14 AM   #7
sricciardelli

Sounds like you are a customer for the new .17 HRM, except for the crosswind....