The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Carbon_15

.224BOZ components

Anyone have a source for barrels, dies, brass, load data, etc for this round?
Does anyone here shoot it?

http://carolinashootersforum.com/index.php
Old March 28, 2002, 12:21 PM   #2
Bogie

Is that that little shorty .22 that has a .308 case head that was featured in a 1911-style auto a while back?

If so, you should be able to make brass using Lapua 6BR brass...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old March 28, 2002, 02:42 PM   #3
Carbon_15

Actualy its a 10mm necked down to 5.56mm. I guess I would hav eto have a set of dies and a barrel custom made. Who does that?

Old March 29, 2002, 01:41 AM   #4
Intel6

This has been hashed out more than once on different fourms in the past few years. I remember when this came out in a magazine (G&A?) and they specifically talked about how the design/concept is legally protected. It also applies to copy cats and cartridge designs that are very close to the .224 BOZ. I think because of that you might have some problems with finding people who are willing to make reamers and dies etc.
Old March 29, 2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Carbon_15

I was just thinking about that. From what I understand the .224 BOZ was developed as a PDW cartridge similar to the FN 5.7X??. A such it would be considered an armor peircing handgun round, this makeing it illegal, right? I have never read the law concerning AP handguns, but I always assumed that it banned bullets where the actual projectile was specialy designed to penetrate armor, not just cartridges with enough velocity to do so with regular FMJ bullets. If not AR-15 handguns, T/C, Remington and Savage rifle caliber handguns and would be illegal.
Would it be possible to develope a wildcat based on the .224 BOZ where the neck was necked down at a slightly shallower angle makeing the OAL to long for anything but light varmit style bullets?

Old March 30, 2002, 11:22 AM   #6
EchoFiveMike

I drew up a cartridge with a similar concept based on a 45 Win mag case necked down and loaded to an OAL of 1.280 for use in a 1911 style platform. It's got greater case capacity than the BOZ and operates at lower pressure, with a potentially greater velocity. Plus you use a 45 breech face which is a lot easier to get. And I'm not going to defend the patent so everybody can make one, and I hope they do. It was set up for using 35 V-max bullets, which are hardly armor piercing. But it'll zip through soft armor because of velocity, not any special bullet design. But I designed it for ground squirrels Give me a couple days, I'll get a line drawing posted. As for the pissy little limey BOZ designers and their holier than thou "you can't have it" attitude, screw 'em. S/F...Ken M
Old March 30, 2002, 02:19 PM   #7
Carbon_15

Here is an e-mail is sent the Civil Defense folks:
<<I have recently heard about your astounding .224 BOZ cartridge. Having been a long time 10mm fan I was immediatly interested. It would seem to many civilian applications such as handgun varmit hunting, pest control with limited ricochette/overpenetration danger, and not to mention being a very interesting long range target shooter/plinker with its flat trajetory.
I run a terminal ballistics testing lab and would also be personaly very interested to see how it performs in soft tissue (as opposed to body armor penetration)..especialy with 50gr varmit style or soft point bullets. Is there any information you can give me on the cartridge so that I could obtain a barrel and set of custom dies for my own personal testing (and plinking).
Thank you,
Jason Weaver
www.dvc-labs.com>>

Reply form some company called (ironicly) 2nd Ammendment research and Development:
<<Your email inquiry regarding the Boz has been forwarded to us for reply, it is not based on 10mm
Please clarify your interest in the BOZ, DVC Labs mission statement does not indicate a justification for
a restricted Elite Military and Elite Law Enforcement Product. Nor does it support your possession of appropriate licensing for this product.
There is no application for this product for possession by civilian or local police Agencies
Does your company have a Destructive Device License? if so please furnish a copy of it so we can respond to your inquiry.
Which Military or LE Agency do you represent? Please furnish authorization on Official Letterhead and Notarized signature of the Agency Chief.

Thank you for your interest in this product.

Sincerely,

Jeff Flemington
Security Manager>>

Old March 30, 2002, 02:45 PM   #8
Jim Watson

You might want to check out Wild Bill's .224 Zipperer.
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic...048&forum=4&13
I don't have one, I don't know him, but it sounds like he has done work along those lines.

If I recall the original puff article in Guns & Ammo Monthly Sensational Press Releases, it is a British concern - and we know how the British authorities feel about their subjects and guns - and has tied up their US collaborators in proprietary agreements so ordinary Americans can't readily get their imitation .218 Bee.

Say, Jason, a Contender with a Bee or K-Hornet barrel would give you the ballistics, while others worked on making an auto that would do the same job.
Old March 30, 2002, 08:42 PM   #9
Carbon_15

probly the rudest e-mail I have ever receaved. He didnt seem to get the idea that my interest in such a round is as a TARGET SHOOTER/PLINKER. I'm not the least bit interested in how well it penetrates steel or kevlar.
I really cant follow what he ment, but I think he is saying that since I dont know everything about restricted "elite" (whatever that means) military-only material, that my validity as a researcher of terminal ballistics or commercial handgun loads is invalid...HUH??

As you read this e-mail rember that this joker is developing future equipment for the govenment..on our dime evidently. He actualy said that the 5.56 Nato has "no potential to be a dangerous caliber" but the .224 BOZ (a handgun case necked down to 5.56 caliber) beats anything hands down. I think they need better ventelation at their shop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reply.jpg (141.6 KB, 73 views)

Old March 30, 2002, 11:20 PM   #10
RomaRana

http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimat...c;f=1;t=000398
Old April 1, 2002, 09:04 PM   #11
Carbon_15

Just did some research on what classifies a pistol round as AP. Found out that it IS the bullet construction and not the actual capabilities. The law says that a pistol bullets must be constructed of a majority of lead. IOW, the .224BOZ and FN P90 ammo isnt really illegal unless loaded with steel core ammo or solids. Intersting...guess that pompus a$$ Jeff at 2nd Ammendment R&D dosnt know everything after all.

Old April 2, 2002, 03:40 PM   #12
Bogie

So, how big is the case head on a 10mm?

Something is telling me that the thing is VERY similar to a shortened .22PPC. (and I've got one)

3,600 fps with a 52 grainer.

That might be all that it is, and they loaded it to reduced pressure with a bit of pistol powder...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!