The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Hal

Quote:
When did he say that? I thought he said he was keeping the .38's for concealed carry.
Post #1 - ". My wife and I are going through some very difficult financial times. She has been out of work for over a year and I am on disability"

Post #6 -" I want an LCR. I was thinking about a small auto of some sort, but I have ostioporis (sp) and am concerned about racking a slide".
Old January 5, 2013, 01:32 PM   #27
PawDaddy

Thanks for all the replies! To clear things up I would like to say that the .22 idea is mainly for home defense/crap-hits-the-fan type shooting. I do carry my .38's from time to time. I ALWAYS have my Kel-Tec .380 in my pocket. I can still shoot my revolvers fine and shoot the little .380 fine. But, I do have some trouble with my wrists. I am worried about being able to rack a slide on an auto. I can do it now, but don't know for how long. The .38's are a bit harsh, but I can manage them. The LCR is a lot more pleasant for me to shoot and I can hit with it a whole lot better. That is why I would like one.

I do have two .22 handguns, but I am wanting to stockpile ammo for my three .22 rifles. I have a Marlin 60, an older (Savage, I think) semi auto that belonged to my father in law, and a Henry lever action. I can afford to shoot and buy more .22 ammo than any other.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:55 PM   #28
Hal

Ok - now I'm at a bit of a loss.
You own and can use something more substancial than a .22,,,but,, you want to use a .22 for home defense?
Old January 5, 2013, 02:20 PM   #29
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Like a bunch of us he is getting older and has hand and wrist problems that may soon limit his use of the 38. He wants to stock pile ammo while he still can. 22 is cheaper than 38's. I got that much from his very first post. Not optimum solution but bowing to the realities of the situation. If you think you may have to finally give up the 38 then you want the best 22 round you can get, that would be a high velocity 40 gr solid plated bullet for reliability and maximum effect on a lumpy target with bones in it.

As seen by a dinosaur who cannot shoot the way he used to just 10 years ago. If you live long enough it gets all of us.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 5, 2013, 02:20 PM   #30
PawDaddy

My .38 is beside my bed. I WILL grab it in case someone breaks in during the night. It would be my first choice!

BUT, I cannot afford to buy up a lot of .38 Special ammo. I can get more ammo for the dollar if I go with .22. That is all I am saying.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:58 PM   #31
No1der

Here's what I can tell you. The Israeli's have been using .22s for quite some time in the Mosad (The Institute for Intelligence and Special Operations)

Granted, it's not the only ammo that is used by if it's good enough for an elite force I'd say it's pretty good for the regular Joe.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #32
ClydeFrog

post #20; Mossad, .22LR....

I guess No didn't read #20 yet.

The Israeli Mossad(Not Mosad) is the nation's secret intelligence agency, like the US's CIA or the UK's MI6(SIS). When the Mossad agents use a .22LR it's for close range assassins. The covert ops use a surpressed .22LR target pistol or small revolver then fire several rounds at the head or face.
They may also use other firearms or weapons as required. Intel officers or spec ops often use "sterile" weapons or firearms they can deny. A German agent may use a Uzi with Canadian army 9mmNATO ammunition for example. Or a French operative may use a SIG Sauer P220 .45acp with American 230gr milspec ammunition.

Clyde
Old January 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #33
No1der

@ClydeFrog

OK, Mossad, my mistake.

You're right, I didn't read the whole thread.

Point being that if they use .22 at close range and home defense with intruders in your home is close range that makes it a viable caliber.

Worldwide, throughout recent history more people have been killed with a .22 than almost any other caliber. That says something about it as well I would think. I'm including accidental shootings of family members as well as those who accidentally shot themselves and then you also have the suicides that you can figure into that number.

Edit: Most domestic self defense shootings are done at fairly close range. Very seldom do you have firefights across distance that are much greater than an average sized living room. Not saying they don't happen, just saying that they aren't typical.

Last edited by No1der; January 5, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:51 PM   #34
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
Post #6 -" I want an LCR. I was thinking about a small auto of some sort, but I have ostioporis (sp) and am concerned about racking a slide".
I missed that completely.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:53 AM   #35
natman

Here's a point I don't quite understand:

The OP owns a 38 and has said he's comfortable shooting it, despite his medical condition. He says he wants to stock up on ammo for self defense.

Question for the OP: How much self defense shooting do you plan on ever doing? I should think a box of 20 would last for the rest of your life.

If you plan on stocking up on 22 ammo for general use, hunting, whatever, fine, but I definitely would not take the step down from a 38 to a 22 because of ammo costs.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:35 PM   #36
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The OP owns a 38 and has said he's comfortable shooting it, despite his medical condition. He says he wants to stock up on ammo for self defense.

Question for the OP: How much self defense shooting do you plan on ever doing? I should think a box of 20 would last for the rest of your life.
I suppose if you never trained it would.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:06 PM   #37
PT-92

PawDaddy,

.22lr is a significantly underestimated round (far more deadly than many people would lead you to believe). That said, it's by no means a first choice SD caliber but it is what it is today and I would not feel the least bit uncomfortable storing some .22lr ammo and making it a key part of my 'repertoire' .38S&W SP. being my main CCW or HD 'bump in the night' gun.

--Happy New Year
Old January 9, 2013, 04:05 PM   #38
jib

In a home defense situation the 22 may take a few more round to stop an intent intruder, but given the fact that they will feel the bullet and see the bright flash that comes with shooting 22LR out of a pistol indoors, it will function in that capacity. Obviously larger caliber are better, but most folks don't want to tangle with ANY gun.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:27 AM   #39
Double J

If you plan to keep a loaded .22LR for defense, make sure the gun is dry and not oiled-up. Any oil at all in the bore or on the ammo will soak into the rimfire round after a time causing a dud in the chamber.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:06 AM   #40
L_Killkenny

Stocking up on SD ammo is kinda a mute point. When SD/HD comes into play you don't need bricks of ammo.

While it definetly makes sense to stock .22lr ammo for range time I wouldn't replace a .38sp on the nightstand with a rimfire. I'd be scrongin 50 or so rounds of centerfire ammo and save them for "in case of emergency".
Old January 11, 2013, 12:12 PM   #41
dlb435

A .22 makes a poor defensive round. Sure, it kills but do you realy want to wait around for 4 hours for the guy to bleed out?
Unless you can get very close and place the round into the brain or vital organ, the .22 kills by slicing through the body much like a knife. Most deaths from .22 are from the internal bleeding that is caused by the round.
The object in self defence is to stop the intruder FAST. All of the larger caliber pistol round are fine for this.
Better is a shot gun. Even bird shot at close range will stop most people. A pump action is farly cheap and easy to handle.
Keep the .22 for target practice.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:30 PM   #42
natman

Quote:

Quote:
I suppose if you never trained it would.
I knew somebody would say this. Buy a box of fancy hollowpoints. Keep them loaded in the gun for actual SD use. Train with cheap lead reloads. Pretty darn cheap for 38 special.

Yes, I know it's not theoretically the ideal scenario, but it beats the heck out of using a 22 for defense.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:37 PM   #43
tet4

Well, if I had to use a 22 for defense, I would use a rifle. Some ammo will come out of a rifle with the same energy as a 38 out of a revolver. I would want a few 25 round magazines though.

Here's what I would do as the op. I would buy bulk 22 ammo to practice with, and a box of good 22 ammo. Practice with the 22 rifles and pistols routinely and then buy a box of 38 once a quarter and shoot that up. Buy a box of good defense ammo for your 38s and don't shoot it up.

Keep the 38s loaded at home and a couple magazines loaded for the 22 rifles.

As for buying an lcr. I would skip it and just practice with light target loads until such a time that you have more money.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:34 PM   #44
22-rimfire

I think your ideas are sound about the 22LR. It is not optimum, but we all know that. I sometimes carry a LCR-22 just because I like 22's. I have others. Sometimes it seems it doesn't really matter one way or the other as things requiring self defense in my life are seldom. Not to say it can't happen tomorrow.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:15 PM   #45
seeker_two

Not a bad idea for us to train to use .22lr for SD.....way things look, it might be all we can get....