The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Copeshooter875

Vanguard S2 vs TC Venture.. Help deciding

I've been looking into buying one of these 2 rifles but I still can't decide. I need help and opinions in deciding on either one. Caliber isn't an issue, I just want to know what you guys think and your opinions (pros and cons) between both rifles, which one you would recommend and why. Thanks..
Old November 23, 2011, 01:12 AM   #2
dts686

You should have posted this in the "Art of the Rifle" forum.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
AllenJ

I don't know anything about the TC, I've never even handled one. The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 impressed me enough that I bought one. The action is smoother and tighter than the Remington SPS I was comparing it to, the trigger is awesome for a production rifle, and the stock was pretty solid. The overall workmanship was good for a rifle in it's price range IMHO. I have read in the rifle forum that some people are having accuracy issues with their Vanguards but I won't be able to report on that until I'm able to shoot mine, hopefully this weekend
Old November 23, 2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Copeshooter875

Let me know how it goes. Id like to see a pic of the groups you got.
Old November 23, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
hooligan1

There is a thread going on "The Art Of The Rifle" about a couple of TC owners dismay. It would behoove you to read it.

The Weatherby on the other hand generally has decent reviews as the norm.
I have one in 7mm Rem Mag, it has performed flawlessly thus far.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Cowboy_mo

I have a Vanguard in 270 win and a Venture in 30-06. I consider them pretty equal BUT my Vanguard was bought 2 years ago and the Venture was bought 13 months ago (pre S&W takeover).

I would tell you to handle both rifles and choose the one that fits you the best.

Happy Shopping

P.S. Either Bass Pro or Cabela's is running a Black Friday special on these rifles saving you about $50. Now that I think about it, one of the companies has a special on 1 of the rifles and the other company has a special on the other. Sorry, but all those sale fliers run together after a while.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:48 PM   #7
AllenJ

I finally got out and shot my Series 2 and I am very impressed. After mounting a Zeiss 3X9, bore sighting and zeroing, I shot 3 three shot groups. The largest group was 1", the other groups both measured 3/4". I was using brand new Remington brass that I did not seperate by weight, Barnes TTSX 80 grain bullets, IMR4350 and Federal LR primers. And I was shooting off a not so steady Winchester rest! I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I got a keeper
Old December 4, 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
.243_Shooter

Not a Venture but I do have an icon that is by far my favorite and most accurate gun. I have never shot the vanguard but have no regrets after buying my icon.
Old December 5, 2011, 09:11 AM   #9
Lou75

I was dead set on getting a new Venture. I liked the feel of it and heard they shot really well. But recently I heard they recalled most of them so I dug a little deeper and it seems like there are a lot of people having problems with them so I am kind of worried. I may wait a bit longer to make up my mind then.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:39 PM   #10
warbirdlover

I liked the Vanguard but the ones I tried had real "gritty" long travel triggers. I bought a Remington 700 SPS and have not regretted it. I don't like the TC's only based on looks. Just my opinion. I'd get a Tikka T3 Hunter (wood stock) if I buy another rifle. Super nice rifles. Smoothest action I've ever cycled. And one of the few tested in the magazines where all groups were sub-MOA.
Old December 7, 2011, 12:36 AM   #11
ripnbst

Yeah, those Tikka T3 Hunters are nice.

Of the two you've listed I'd go for the Weatherby. Of all the reviews I've read none have been negative.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:14 PM   #12
Joe Chicago

You may have to wait a while to buy a new Venture. They are under recall for trigger sear issues and there are none available in stores. I called the factory and they could not tell me when there would be Ventures on store racks again.

I was making the same decision as you a month ago and went with the Vanguard S2 because the Ventures were not available and I liked the two stage trigger.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:16 PM   #13
Joe Chicago

Allen, I am glad you are having good experiences with your new Vanguard S2. I just bought one in .308, but have not yet hit the range.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Ridgerunner665

I've looked at both lately....of the 2 I'd pick the T/C.

I bought a Winchester myself, but I'm kinda old fashioned that way.
Old December 17, 2011, 05:28 PM   #15
warbirdlover

Isn't there a recall on TC Ventures?

Or else some big quality problems after S&W took over?

Or both?
Old December 17, 2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Ridgerunner665

It seems you're right...I wasn't aware of that....I'm sure glad I bought the Winchester.
Old December 28, 2011, 11:10 PM   #17
bkoll

Got a TC with weathershield in .308 and have fallen in love. Sent it in for the recall and got it back 3 days later. Been testing different loads with 150gr Hornady Interlock SP and Varget, had 2 or 3 loads under 1moa; very impressive for only doing half grain increments per load and using bullets not meant for tack driving accuracy. Trigger is great, action is smooth, and very comfortable.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:44 AM   #18
warbirdlover

Glad you're happy with it! Put up some pics!