The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 14, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
riverwalker76

Copyrighted Pictures Posted

Someone please verify this if I'm right ...

If I post pictures on this site isn't my picture considered copyrighted material?

In other words ... I take a picture of something I own. I then post it here. I have given The Firing Line permission to use the pic since I use their site.

BUT, what if some hack on the net sees my picture and posts it in another forum? Is my picture copyrighted?

Just a question I am curious about.

Thanks
Old September 14, 2010, 06:30 PM   #2
riverwalker76

My pictures are copyrighted. So, others shouldn't be abled to post them ... right?
Old September 14, 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
riverwalker76

I answered my own question with the 'search' feature. Thanks.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/announcement.php?a=94
Old September 14, 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Tombstonejim

Do you have a registered copyright?

http://www.copyright.gov/

If not probably the answer is Yes, NO maybe.
Old September 14, 2010, 06:55 PM   #5
riverwalker76

I do. In my line of work ... anything I submit to anyone is copyrighted. Photos, articles, etc ... Of course, this is with the expressed understanding that the pictures were either taken by me, or the article written by my hand.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:27 PM   #6
vytoland

if your work is copyrighied and it is stolen.........sue the thief

but you must split the litigation proceeds with me for using my idea.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

In general, whatever you create is yours. Whether registered with the Copyright Office or not.

The advantage to registering with the Office of Copyrights is that your protections may include certain statutory damages, should you sue to to recover damages for infringement.

Without the registration, you can still sue to recover damages, but you will have to prove the amount of damage you are claiming.

In the context asked: You are giving exclusive rights to TFL to maintain your post (the copyrighted material) in public view, in exchange for the ability to post on this site. Quid Pro Quo. In short, it's considered an equitable exchange.

You have not given anyone else the right to use your works.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:18 PM   #8
riverwalker76

Thanks for clarifying the confussion Al Norris.
Old September 14, 2010, 11:21 PM   #9
scorpion_tyr

As a photographer I can tell you that Al Norris is correct. As soon as you press the shutter release that image is copywrited to whomever made it.

To prevent others from using it and claiming it as theirs you can always watermark your images in a way that doesn't distract from the image, but is easily visible. Just watermark it with your name and everyone will know who it belongs to.
Old September 15, 2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

"To prevent others from using it and claiming it as theirs you can always watermark your images in a way that doesn't distract from the image, but is easily visible. Just watermark it with your name and everyone will know who it belongs to."

Bingo.

I've added a watermark to a number of my images that I've posted to the web.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.