The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 12, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
tbone40x

Tactical Response Fighting Pistol and AFP AAR

To understand my perspective, a little is needed history first. My recent pistol shooting experience is mostly from IPSC competition and square range target shooting. Before that, I was taught pistol shooting by a Marine Gunny (I was a Corpsman) in an IPSC style. I’ve been carrying in Texas since 1997, but didn’t put much thought into my mindset. Recently I met some posters from get off the X and started reading that forum. I took their advice and signed up for Fighting Pistol and Advanced Fighting Pistol.

Overall thoughts: Fighting Pistol stands on its own as the best firearms training I have personally been involved in or heard of. The method of teaching must set it apart from the majority of training available. If you are looking to learn how to fight with a firearm, then TR should be at the top of your very short list for training. That said my biggest advice is to take both FP and Advanced FP at the same time. Make no mistake; it was drinking from a fire hose to my little pea brain but at the end it was a good hurt…

Fighting Pistol: Front Site Focus and Trigger Press, FAST, Reloading, MOVE Motherf**ker, Malfunction clearance, grip, positions, marksmanship fundamentals and more. The lecture was worth the price of admission alone, plus you got a lot more out of it. I shot this and AFP with a cover garment. I suggest wearing what you are going to carry and dress the way you will be on the street.

Advanced FP: Holy S**t Batman. That about sums it up. We took the foundation from FP and built on it. More position shooting with malfunction clearing with the weak hand, moving, fighting and other hands on drills. The drills were well thought out and drove home very important lessons that are best learned on a controlled range and that can be drawn upon when you are in the fight for your life. This class expanded my abilities and helped hone my skills. It is apparent that James cares about each student’s learning and that it is not just another class to him. Big thanks to Jay, keep up the great jokes!

Gear: Glock 19 with XS Big Dots and a TLR1 light. 6 magazines. Comptac CTAC IWB holster along with a Comptac double magazine holder held with a Wilderness belt. 1500 of Remington 9mm 115gr and 1500 of Walmart White Box 9mm 115gr. Oakley M-Frame, Peltor T6S behind the head. Cover Garment.

Summary: Take these classes! You will see positive changes in yourself and your abilities. Practice what you learn so you are not just renting the skills…
Old November 13, 2007, 01:30 AM   #2
MisterPX

Goor to hear. Now you need to take "The Fight". You won't regret it!