The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2002, 10:40 AM   #1
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

Slug Barrel OK for shot?

I've been looking at possibly picking up a shotgun for a while. One of the local sporting goods stores regularly runs a special on the Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel and 2nd 18" rifled barrel. Cost is around $220.00 for the package.

Now the primary use for this SG would be breaking clays, but the fact that the 18" barrel is also included would seem to make this a decent HD gun if I ever wanted to go that route. But my real question is can I fire shot out of the 18" rifled barrel without ruining the barrel? I really have no plan to do any slug hunting with this gun, but wouldn't want to rule out the possibility in the future.

Anyone have this configuration, and what are your thoughts on it.

Speed Racer
Old October 30, 2002, 11:21 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Shot won't hurt the rifled barrel...

At ranges beyond where the shot and shot cup seperate the pattern is likely to spread rapidly, making a doughnut shape pattern with a huge hole in the center, no shot in the hole.

Best to try some assorted shot loads on a pattern board at what you deem to be the maximum home defence range. Some loads might work fine while others don't.

Closer than the cup/shot seperation range you will have a neat .73 caliber rifle....whether using slug or shot.

Sam
Old October 30, 2002, 02:37 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

It's actually worse than a doughnut from many barrels. At least a doughnut is predictable. Mine spreads it all over the place with many large holes. Patterns are absolutely awful from my Mossberg rifled barrel, regardless of shot size. Don't use it.
Old October 30, 2002, 03:24 PM   #4
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

Well for home defese purposes, the longest possible shot I would ever need to make indoors couldn't be much more than 50ft if that. I'm not sure at what distance I would start to see shot dispersion. Not too worried about it. Main concern was not to ruin the barrel.

I'm primarily interested in this as a gun for Trap and other clay busting activities.
Old October 31, 2002, 03:22 PM   #5
sfoo

If you're talking about the Big 5 Mossberg 500, the 18.5" barrel I got wasn't rifled. You may want to double check if it is or not. And I shoot slugs, buck and bird from that barrel quite a bit.

The 28" barrel is fine for shooting trap. When you realize that your equipment is holding you back, well, then get a "better" shotgun for trap. A couple of folks I know can do 20/25 or better with one, once a quarter.
Old October 31, 2002, 06:18 PM   #6
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

This is indeed the combo from Big 5. I thought I had seen the 18.5" barrel listed as rifled, but thinking back over it, I can't be sure that was the case, or whether I had just assumed it was. If it is a smooth barrel, that would be even better.

Seems like it would be a perfect size for HD, although convincing the wife about keeping a loaded shotgun in the house will likely take far more skill and patience than I can muster.

I've probably been spoiled after shooting clays with my father-in-laws Whetherby O/U (a shoulder friendly 20gauge too!). But finances are definitely a consideration here.

I know that a pump is at a disadvantage for skeet, which I would really like to try. But I'm a firm believer that you should learn on the basics, and a pump is about as bread and butter as you can get. I learned to drive on a manual transmission, as a result I learned how to feel the car and respond to it. I think the same is probably true of pumps. If you can shot skeet with a pump, then your at an advantage if you ever decide to move to a autoloader or O/U.

Speed Racer
Old October 31, 2002, 07:03 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shooting Skeet with your HD shotgun is a darn good way to learn the weapon. Matter of fact, so is any other kind of shooting. Shoot Sporting Clays,Trap, Doves, rats at the dump, but shoot it.

For Ms Speed Racer, let her know that a shotgun kept "Cruiser Ready"(empty chamber, full magazine, safety on, action locked shut) is very difficult for a child or untrained/irresponsible adult to manipulate into firing, but can be made ready in a twinkling by the cogniscienti.

Kept inside a clset door say, 6 feet off the floor, even better.

And I just can't see how using a superbly designed repeating shotgun that will serve several generations of a family is a disadvantage.

FYI, I could get off a second shot faster with an 870 than a friend did with his A-5. He was a very good shot. Maybe I just had more practice(G).
Old October 31, 2002, 09:31 PM   #8
Cowdogpete

I bought an 870 combo. I liked the idea of being able to put the nird barrel back on the gun after I get through shooting slugs and 00. (truth of the matter is I never have had the 28" barrel on the gun) But I could if I wanted.

Shot will not hurt the 18" barrel. Bird to 00. I have many rounds of slugs and 00 and a few 7. I thought I'd try to bust clays with the 20" barrel. I couldn't do it very well.

If you have other guns for clays/birds. Just get a slug gun. If not get the combo and have the best of foth worlds.