The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2019, 09:59 PM   #1
konstan

just got my GSG 1911-22

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share.

I just got my ATI/GSG 1911-22. I've been without a 22 handgun for a while. Had a pucara revolver, then sold it. I liked it but I shot it a lot and there are NO parts available for it, so I sold it because I didn't see keeping it long term.... ANYWAY...

Somehow I got to reading about this GSG 1911-22 gun and all the nice things people who had one had to say about it. They are cheap and its a full size 1911. I really liked the fact that so many parts are compatible with the regular 1911 (no I don't have one of those yet

Haven't had a chance to shot it. Probably will next week.

I got the "polished white sides" slide version. First impressions:

First of all, it seems that the slide is a little loose around the barrel, it looks centered and the barrel touches the bottom of the bushing (which is what they all do) but I think I will order the bushing+tapered cone kit from one of the vendors that offer it.

Next, my slide and the barrel have the circle (1) marks everywhere. Does this mean 1st generation? I thought we are on 3rd by now...

The barrel bushing is metal, the guide rod is metal too, and there is a white plastic buffer. Those are not 1st gen parts.

Medium term (next 6 months or so) thinking of getting my 1st suppressor for it... For now I will probably just upgrade the bushing and cone.

Will report more once I get a chance to have some fun with it at the farm. For now, I'll just clean it real good inside!
Old April 13, 2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Nodak1858

I picked one up l last year, fun little gun no problems with it. Shot all kinds of ammo no issues with any so far. Decent accuracy, takes out tin cans no problem. Only thing I did was take out the magazine disconnect and get a aftermarket grip safety.I am happy with it, kids like it as well. It's a better choice i think than converting a 45 1911 with a kit.
Old April 13, 2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Quote:
Only thing I did was take out the magazine disconnect and get a aftermarket grip safety.
Same with mine. I didnt pay for a new grip safety, i just cut the arm off the OEM one. I dont de-activate grip safeties on 1911’s, but this one SUCKED big time. With it being a strict range toy, i was ok with that.
Old April 13, 2019, 02:29 PM   #4
osbornk

I've had mine for several months and probably over 800 rounds. It is bone stock and I have had no issues at all with it. I am very happy with it.
Old April 13, 2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak1858
Only thing I did was take out the magazine disconnect and get a aftermarket grip safety.
I wasn't aware the GSG has a magazine disconnect. How does it work, and how did you disable it? I know how to disable the magazine safety on the Browning 1911-22 and 1911-380. The GSG is one that I haven't had an opportunity to peek under the hood of.

[Edit to add] I found this video that explains the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IBHMGwhY58

MUCH easier than on the Browning 1911-22. On the Browning, disabling the magazine safety requires a permanent modification of either the trigger or the magazine catch. Once the change is made the only way to reinstate the magazine safety is to replace the part(s) you modified -- and Browning won't sell them because they are "safety-related" parts.
Old April 14, 2019, 12:39 AM   #6
konstan

There guys are having a $16.99 sale on magazines

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ati-germ...-magazine.html
Old April 21, 2019, 02:49 PM   #7
konstan

Range report. Put about 100 rounds through the gun. All stock no upgrades yet.
Started out with CCI mini mags. No issues.
Then did a few mags' worth of Winchester bulk box, No issues.
Finished off with Remington golden bullet bulk box, only 1 issue, one of the rounds won't feed and I think the problem was with that round because I tried it again and it just won't feed.

Groupings were not too bad and all were on paper and close enough for me; this time I was mainly testing the cycling and feeding.

Will try again with the upgraded cone and bushing and will pay more attention to the accuracy.
Old April 21, 2019, 03:12 PM   #8
Sevens

Accuracy tip: if you take the pistol apart and remove the barrel specifically, allow a good 20-30 shots after reassembly before the gun works back in to a groove.
Old April 21, 2019, 03:48 PM   #9
konstan

<quote> Accuracy tip: if you take the pistol apart and remove the barrel specifically, allow a good 20-30 shots after reassembly before the gun works back in to a groove. </quote>

Even with the centering cone?
Old April 21, 2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Sevens

The barrel screws to the frame from the side, if you don't upset that, probably good to go. If you take it out, you'll probably want to give it a whirl next time out.
Old April 22, 2019, 12:51 PM   #11
'88Scrat

I picked up one of those a few years ago. An absolutely screaming deal for the $$$!

I've got a couple thousand rounds through mine and I honestly can't remember having one failure. Not to say there haven't been some, I just don't recall. If it had been a big issue I'm sure I'd remember.

Well, I did have one, but we found out later that was 100% an ammo problem.

They make a great suppressor host as well, LGS had one with a Gemtech on it and it was AWESOME! Gonna be my next move for sure!
Old April 22, 2019, 07:40 PM   #12
libiglou

I Had one for a number of years. It was reliable and fun but it was a plinker. Accuracy was so so. The slights when shooting in the heat would flex and POI would change(I would update the sights) I sold it to a guy who was going to train his kid with it. I went with a nelson conversion with a dedicated frame and never looked back. Love the 1911 platform with a 22. Enjoy it.
Old May 1, 2019, 04:24 AM   #13
silvermane_1

Heck i wished i didn't pass up a GSG 22lr upper for my SR1911 CMD a few years ago.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old May 1, 2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Sevens

Never heard of that.

The GSG 1911-22 top half has a screw that secures the barrel to the gun's frame, so unless you are speaking of a product that I have not seen, a regular GSG 1911-22 top half won't work on a regular .45cal 1911 frame.