The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 28, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
l98ster

Classified Searching

Is there a good way of searching for specific items in the classified section. For example, I would like to do a search for j frame holsters. How would I go about doing that?

-George
Old June 28, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I would go to "Search" then "Advanced Search." Once in the advanced search screen, you can search just the "Gear and Accessories" forum in The Gun Show.

Last edited by Spats McGee; June 28, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The vBulletin search function, frankly, sucks.

Your best bet is to use your favorite search engine and insert the phrase "site:thefiringline.com/forums" and then your search criteria. Regular search engines use Boolean Operators (AND, OR, NOT or AND NOT) which allow you to narrow or expand your search and their "IQ" just seems a lot higher.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The vBulletin search function, frankly, sucks.
Agreed. It is very frustrating. The google option is the best. Now, I have to ask, why not have a google site search on the top of the webpage?
Old July 22, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

You can use any or all search engines you wish to use. We don't want to limit an external search to any one of them. Some folks, rightly or wrongly, don't trust Google so using that one exclusively would not be a very friendly thing to do.

Google has a function that will allow anyone to create a permanent search function for any specific site. I'm not sure if you also have to have a Google account or a gmail email account for it to work. Here's the link to the function: https://www.google.com/cse/manage/create
Old July 22, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
We don't want to limit an external search to any one of them.
Anyone could still use any other search engine they wanted by going to that web page just as people use google now, it just wouldn't be available on the forum page.
Quote:
Some folks, rightly or wrongly, don't trust Google
Yes, but it is the standard and most use it. I have not been convinced data is any more secure with the other big name search engines. I am sure there is an anonymier search for google somewhere it could be run through. I personally wouldn't care if it was yahoo, whatever MSFT is trying to brand at the moment, or any of the others. My preference is simply something that works. When I have searched using google I get much better results. The results I get with the vbulletin search are more or less useless.