The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2011, 06:06 PM   #1
hehawboy

grease POI

Looking to find out how a grease poi board works ,they say they are pretty good and you don't waste any paper .can anyone show me any pictures of one or a vidio of one on you tube Thanks mike
Old March 13, 2011, 06:30 PM   #2
zippy13

A grease board is a good sized steel plate with layer of grease smeared over it. You aim at the center, typically from 40-yards, and fire one shot. Then, you have a look at the pellet marks in the grease to judge if the pattern is centered on your point of aim (POI). Then you smooth out the grease to make the board ready for the next shot. Some clubs find white paint less messy for the same purpose, but it involves waiting for it to dry.

Yes, grease saves paper, if all you want to know is the rough POI then it works fine. It you want to do a detailed pattern analysis to evaluate choke performance, then it's hard to beat a typical patterning paper target. When tallying hits with paper, you can check each hit as you count them -- try that with a grease board. And, with greased/painted steel, you don't have a permanent record.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
And, with greased/painted steel, you don't have a permanent record.
Unless you happen to have a camera handy...
Old March 13, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4
oneounceload

Personally, I prefer a grease steel plate - pattern boards are only somewhat useful as far as checking patterns go as you are looking at a 2-D picture of a 3-D conical event. It helps for POI/POA comparison, otherwise it gives a distorted truth regarding your pattern - as depending on how long your shot string is, etc.....it's all moot
Old March 13, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
zippy13

1-oz,
My friend, unless Vanya's camera is capable of 3-D high speed imagery, then the paper pattern is the usual documentation for choke performance. You're correct about a 2-D vs. 3-D "distorter truth" -- like trying to predict a rifle's grouping based on a bore site. My preference is to shoot a few target rounds, and then I'll pretty much know where I'm hitting and how the chokes are working.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:36 AM   #6
olddrum1

I might add that one should always wear eye protection and never get to close to the patterning board. As might be expected, a patterning board for some is a must and for others not. I found it to be worth the investment.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:44 AM   #7
TheKlawMan

I didn't take a close look and the woman in the office told me to clip targets to the patterning board at Prado, but from my vantage point it looked like what you are describing as a grease board. Would clipping paper on a steel grease board make sense? Perhpas they have a board for paper targets that I didn't see.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:52 AM   #8
olddrum1

Actually I think that you would want to use the grease board and not the paper due to the mess.
Old March 14, 2011, 08:25 AM   #9
rsnell

Point of impact with a shotgun is usually done at 13 yrd. Google the following:"shotgun pattern 13 yd Neil Winston".

Bob
Old March 14, 2011, 10:37 AM   #10
zippy13

Klaw,
One club had an open-center wooden frame to which you attached a standard paper pattern target and a painted steel plate -- you could set up either. When the wood frame got too shot-up it was replaced. At another club, the last time I looked, there was an old pallet propped up. As my friend, olddrum1, mentioned: a grease board and paper are a messy combo. Many shooters use a low-tech approach, they draw a target on a large cardboard carton.

Bob,
You're correct, I was thinking more of pattern testing than POI. You may check your point of impact at any yardage you select, including 13 -- the pattern being less developed at the shorter yardage, it's much easier to evaluate the POI. And, there are few 40-yard indoor ranges. When comparing choke patterns, the standard reference is still a 30-inch circle at 40-yards (an exception being Cyl and Skeet chokes).