The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
justinbaker

How old is this powder, hodgon 4831 in bags...

i already posted this on another board, but perhaps you guys might have some more info
i just came across a huge reloading score

and this suprised me quite a bit

its hodgon 4831 and the powder still looks great

i have 6 or 7 pounds of it, and it looks to all be still sealed

Old July 2, 2009, 06:45 AM   #2
macmuffy

Has to be later than 1963.
'cause that's when zip codes started.

(I know that that was a lame reply.)

Old July 2, 2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Sevens

I think that was a pretty good reply-- that's the first thing I noticed, only I wasn't sure when zip codes started!
Old July 2, 2009, 07:39 AM   #4
SL1

Why not call Hodgdon's and ask them? Their number is 913-362-9455. They answer the phones 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday. Or, you can email [email protected].

It looks like there is a lot number printed on the bag, so they could probably tell you when they packaged it. It might be surplus powder from a military contract that they aquired to distribute, so they might not be able to tell you when it was actually manufactured.

Anyway, the real question is whether the powder has deteriorated. If it has been stored well, it should be good to go.

If you use it, check old manuals for data to see if there is a difference, because there have been several manufacturers of powder sold as H-4831. If there is a difference, start with the lowest start load, becasue the difference MAY be due to the powder characteristics, or it MIGHT be due to the old manuals having some loads that later turned out to be well over SAAMI max pressures.

SL1
Old July 2, 2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Zip codes actually started in the 1940s in major metro areas. It wasn't until 1963 that they were adopted nationwide.

In fact, YESTERDAY, 1 July, is the anniversary of the zip code.

As for the powder, I seem to recall seeing that for sale at gunshows back in the 1980s. It's sticking in my mind that it was surplus military bulk powder that was released for civilian sale, made during the Vietnam era and never used.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 2, 2009, 11:12 AM   #6
wncchester

The bag is surely from '63 or later but that tells you nothing about the age of the powder. Hogedon got his start selling WWII surplus 4831 and 4895 and it took a long time for him to run out of it.

But, if the powder is good, it's good. I bought a 50# keg of surplus H-4831 in '65 for $25 plus about $5 for shipping; local retail at the time was about $2.50 - $2.75 for most IMR powders It has a slower burn rate than current production stuff but what's left still works fine using my Lyman #43/1964 data.
Old August 10, 2009, 06:03 PM   #7
freonr22

was there ever an answer to the age of the powder?
Old August 10, 2009, 06:14 PM   #8
justinbaker

this is the reply i got back from hodgon
Quote:

I would guess late 60’s or early 70’s.

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
The Hodgdon Family of fine propellants:
Hodgdon Powder Company
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Powders
GOEX Powder Company
Pyrodex
Triple Seven
White Hots
Old August 10, 2009, 07:00 PM   #9
langenc

""was there ever an answer to the age of the powder? ""

NO. It was suggested to call Hodgdon and ask them esp since lot number set are on the bags.

Anyone putting a dtae ont (no one did) would be stricly speculation. If you want speculation call Obama or either of my US Senators.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Joe Rush

My guess would be 68 since it is stamped on the bottom of the bag. Which would make since if it is military surplus from the Veitnaum era.

Joe