The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 27, 2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Rant Casey

Ciener kit for m16 or dedicated upper?

I'm not really a big fan of shooting .22lr out of anything, but ammo is expensive and my m16 is actually costing me more in ammo than the gun itsself. I was thinking of getting a ciener kit to help the cost a bit, I love shooting 5.56 but lets be honest, the water jugs and cans i'm shooting can't tell the difference. Now my question is, do they have a m16 kit that's readilly availible, I've only seen the ar 15 ones?

Also, I'm going to be shooting this quite a bit, should I just go with a dedicated upper from spikes tactical? I don't want to burn a few thousand rounds through the kit (that would be in 2 days max) and have to replace everything.
Old September 27, 2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

I have a Ciener kit on the way, myself...not only is it cheaper to shoot, but it lets me into more ranges around here that dont allow rifle calibers...and indoor ranges will be very useful in a month or two when the snow starts falling...
Old September 27, 2008, 06:04 PM   #3
ogree

check out CMMG, they are now offering a 22 conversion unit for the AR and may have the M-16 unit as well.
Old September 27, 2008, 09:40 PM   #4
AMX

I have both, a KPF dedicated upper and a Ciener kit. For an M16 shooting water jugs and cans, a kit will do fine. A dedicated upper with a real 1-16" twist will shoot a tighter group, but it doesn't sound like thats what you're looking for.

I use my conversion kit a lot more than my KPF upper.
Old October 5, 2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Rant Casey

Is the cmmg better quality than the ciener kit? Replacement parts availible? Firing pin etc..
Old October 5, 2008, 05:39 PM   #6
VUPDblue

The CMMG and the Spike's kit are IDENTICAL copies of the Ciener kit. The Spike's kit is hard-nickel plated, and I don't know about the CMMG as they have not started shipping yet. I have a Spike's dedicated 5.5" upper AND a standard Ciener kit. The only difference between the AR and the M16 versions are the sear trip and anti-bounce weight are incluced with the M16. The rest of the kit is the same. I polished the rails and rubbing surfaces of my Spike's when I got it and I don't have any problems whatsoever with it. I actually took mine to a group shoot and 'learning session' for some guys from the Indiana Gun Owners forum (click the link and search for "NFA Day" to see the pics) and they put about 2k rounds of .22lr through the thing in less than an hour. It only started to hiccup towards the end due to massive amounts of fouling and crud in the action and chamber area. A quick cleaning remedied that. I can only say good things about the Spike's setup. Here is a gratuitous pic of mine:
Old October 5, 2008, 06:38 PM   #7
ogree

BlackDog Machine has spare extractors & firing pins for the ciener conversion units.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/
Old October 5, 2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Wiskey_33

I've talked with some people who claim that Ciener has HORRIBLE customer service! Just something to think about.
Old October 5, 2008, 07:50 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I've talked with some people who claim that Ciener has HORRIBLE customer service! Just something to think about.
This is pretty kind. I was very dissatisfied with dealing with Ciener on my conversion that died. The problem was never rectified.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:27 PM   #10
VUPDblue

The dissatisfaction with John Ciener is why companies like Spike's and CMMG, who have great customer service, will probably put him out of the AR conversion business. For once, he does not have the market cornered.
Old October 6, 2008, 02:16 AM   #11
Legion2600

VUPD.. which rail kit is that on the upper?
Old October 6, 2008, 07:39 AM   #12
VUPDblue

It's a YHM lightweight carbine-length with ladder covers.