The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 26, 2010, 04:05 PM   #26
markj

Was driving up south 24th st I was like 17 so it was in the 70s. A car pulls up next to mine with a few guys in it, they level a rifle at me I floor it and get the heck out of there.

Age 22 working at Dads bar 5 or 6 blocks from that intersection, was a bouncer for him, 2 brothers name simits was creating a scene so I take each ones elbow and ask them to come with me. I was very polite as always with the clientele or Dad would skin my hide. We get to the outer door, I let em go and tell them to never come back as they were selling drugs in the bar. One steps out and turns brings a .25 POS up and empties the mag. Slugs hit the bar wall around me but I wasnt hit. They run off, cops arrest them and let them go as no prints on the gun and no witnesses other than me to say yep they shot at him. Police reports are there to document this one. After that incident I carried a .38 snub I bought off a cop friend of my cousins, he is ret. LEO now.

Simits is still a trouble maker, was in the news about a bunch of pit bulls he was using to fight. Maybe he will go to jail for this one.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:37 AM   #27
Jeremiah/Az

My brother was driving my truck, me, the passenger because I had a broken leg. He gets stopped & gets a DUI. The cop tells me to follow him to the jail to bail him out. Following the cop, I had a flat tire & pulled over to change it. I'm sitting on the ground working on it when the cop pulls up behind my truck. I look up & the cop has his gun pointed at my head. I ask what his problem was. He said," Your brother said you were a bad MF & you would kill my ass." I told him I would have to thank my brother for that. He laughed & told me to meet him at the station.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:59 AM   #28
HiBC

It was a long time ago,maybe 80,s.A party.Host got a little out of control.At some point I had a loaded Mini-14 pointed at my head.
"I said "It is a good day to die,but,before I do,I will drink one more of your beers,and I turned around and went to his refrigerator,opened it,got a beer.
The situation defused,I left.
Old July 27, 2010, 07:14 AM   #29
geetarman

Yep!!
1967. I had a new Corvette and was driving home from work. I pulled up at a stoplight and there was a police car on my left who had the green light.

I was wondering why he did not move. Finally my light turned green and I started into the intersection and so did the policeman. I stopped and HE stopped. He does not have his lights on so I do not know if he is responding to a call.

I begin to move again and so does the policeman! It is like he wants to cut me off or cut in front of me. I stop again and motion for him to go ahead of me. He just sits there. By now, I am POd. I drop the hammer and leave and sure as the world, he is behind me with the lights on.

I pull over and stop and this guy is out of the car with his gun drawn.

He comes up to the car wanting to see registration and I am having a terrible time finding anything.

I asked him what was going on and he told me a call had come in about a car, similar to mine, that had been stolen and he thought it was me.

I was only 23 at the time and do not remember being scared as much as POd at the policeman for the way he handled the stop.

Come to find out, we both had not been in the workforce very long.

He was new at his job and so was I.

It could have been a whole lot different.

Geetarman
Old July 27, 2010, 08:08 AM   #30
kadima

Ex Yugoslavia, some fifteen years ago. Doing some let's say "liaison" jobs to ensure safe passage for humanitarian supplies. I was "guest" for that night of a militia camp. One of the militiamen, really plastered put the business end of an AK between my eyes shouting something in Croatian that (afterwards I got a summary translation) meant thet he believed I was a spy and he was going to shoot me.
I stood still, because there wasn't actually much I could do, and the boss of the camp came to rescue me.
He said "You are really brave. Didn't escaped, simply kept still...". I could have confessed that my steadfastness was simply due to me petrified by terror, but I preferred to omit that detail. The morning after that militiaman (with no traces of hangover, how I envyied him....) had breakfast with me and saying in a broken Italian that the night before he was just joking... and as a sign of friendship he gave me his bajonet. I gave the bajonet to a scout a few years later, but this is another history.

K.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:21 AM   #31
GreySmoke

I was 16 yrs old (around 1973), we had just purchased burgers and drinks at a McDonald's and were parked in the McDonald's lot when three squad cars surrounded us, the officers flew out of their cars with guns drawn and pointed at us in the car. I had that open mouth look on my face about to bite into my burger when the officers looked at each other shook their heads (in a negative persuasion) holstered their weapons, got back in their squads and left as swiftly as they arrived with out saying a word to us. I gotta say looking down the barrel of a gun is NEVER a fun experience and I remember it as it if it were yesterday.
Old July 27, 2010, 11:53 PM   #32
rickdavis81

several times by cops, slightly wild and energetic teen. Had a couple of gorilla sized men try to cut me up with an ice scraper in the back of a suburban on the way to the hog lot when I was an energetic teen also. Maybe partially or mostly my fault. Learned alot in those days.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:25 AM   #33
Nnobby45

I have had on a number of occasions---when I practice in the mirror.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:32 AM   #34
doofus47

Senior year college. First week with a new roommate.
I went out one night with my buddies and stayed out till, well, late.
I got in after he had gone to bed. I came in without turning on the lights, but from the street light coming through the window, I saw him reach under his bed and pull out his 12 gauge that he had said he kept there.
I was young, drunk and somewhat amused. "Hey man, go back to bed." I said.
He did.
The next morning, he didn't remember pulling that blunderbuss at all.
I was much less amused then...
Old July 28, 2010, 01:44 AM   #35
Mike38

I had a female state trooper draw on me while I was sitting in my car. I don’t blame her one bit for what she did, and I’m surprised to this day that she didn’t shoot me. She pulled me over for speeding. Got my drivers license from my wallet. She asked for the vehicle registration. When I opened the glove box door a starters pistol that I used to train a coon dog fell out. Instinctively I quickly grabbed it. I heard her unsnap her holster and I knew she was aiming right at the side of my head. In a very loud voice I explained to her it was a blank pistol, and not a working pistol. I grabbed it with two fingers on the grip, barrel pointing down and asked her if she wanted to see it. She said yes, but do not make any sudden moves. I swung it around VERY slowly and handed it to her. She took it then put her pistol back in it’s holster. Why she didn’t shoot me, I’ll never know. But she did the right thing, and I’m glad of that.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:35 AM   #36
grymster2007

I've had a few drawn on me. Neighbor was growing a bunch of pot plants and didn't like us having a party in our back yard. Things got heated and before we knew what had happened there was a SWAT team swarming around our houses. They were up on the roofs and hopping fences and sneaking around side yards and pointing a lot of guns at us. They sort of apologized to us after they figured out that we weren't growing plants, nor stealing them from the neighbor.

I was once pulled over by a very young and nervous CHP officer and as he walked up to the car, I went for my wallet..... just as he went for his gun. These days I place my open hands on the wheel and wait for instructions.

Back in the late 70s, while we were recovering a stolen motorcycle from East Palo Alto, someone called the police and I've never seen so many cop cars in my life. CHP came from the east over the Dumbarton bridge, more CHP, San Mateo County Sheriff, Palo Alto and Redwood City police came from the west. Must have been 30 patrol cars converge on us and I've never seen the business end of so many guns in my life. Once they had the eight or ten of us spread-eagle against the cars, they asked what was going on. My buddy calmly said "I'd like to report the recovery of a stolen vehicle". In the end, all charges were dropped, but the police didn't care for our recovery methodology, so we did get to go to jail that night.

There were other times and a couple where I was shot at, but the stories are long.
Old July 28, 2010, 01:46 PM   #37
DanThaMan1776

Quote:
There were other times and a couple where I was shot at, but the stories are long.
Excuse my lack of sensitivity on the matter but.. those are the ones we want to hear about!!

glad you're okay
Old July 28, 2010, 06:01 PM   #38
Only

Had it happen to me one time when I was 17. I was living with a friend at the time our neighbor was also a good friend at the time. She calls use up says her brother and his friend is messing with her so away we went. Walked next door stood around talking crap then a black car speeds in the drive way. Guy gets out points his pistol at me, had it in his pocket. Says im going to hit the first person to say something takes his pistol out of his pocket and hits my friend I was staying with as he was half my size. Punched him in the throat but I can tell ya for a small guy he fought like it was no bodys business!

When I was 10 had a neighbor put a knife to my throat and ask me if I wanted to die. After a couple of tense minutes he put it down and walked away.

Last one was when I was walking through the woods behind my grandparents house screwing around I heard a shot. It was close very close! I hauld but outa there. Never found out who it was.
Old July 28, 2010, 07:36 PM   #39
Spur0701

A few months ago I was in Kabul and had an Afghan level his M16 at me through the windshield.....was going through a checkpoint and there was a rash of ANP guys taking armored SUVs (something to do with taxes).....but since the windshield was armored guess it doesn't really count........
Old July 30, 2010, 07:07 AM   #40
N.H. Yankee

Had a Browning Hi-power emptied at me, thankfully I had cover and the guy ended up with a broken face. That's when I started carrying full time. The guy was a cop hater, we were camping and he actually was a buddy cop of mine's landlord!

Had to disarm a mentally disturbed man who thought I was the CIA there to kill him, why is it the paranoid ones always think its the CIA!
Old July 30, 2010, 09:25 AM   #41
grymster2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H. Yankee
why is it the paranoid ones always think its the CIA!
You don't expect me to believe those really are Census workers coming to my door?
Old July 30, 2010, 10:26 AM   #42
Edward429451

Only trigger happy cops for me.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:38 AM   #43
LordTio3

Quote:
Only trigger happy cops for me.
Hopefully they were only "Holster Happy" cops.

~LT
Old July 31, 2010, 08:09 PM   #44
Avenger

I had a would-be robber try to shoot me with a cross-bow once. I was working in the cash office at a big-box grocery, and he had held up one of the departmental registers, then got greedy and made her take him to the cash office. He hid out of sight so we buzzed her into the countdown room, he dodged around her...she slammed the door behind him and ran. My manager saw him as he came in and hit the panic button, thinking the crossbow was a rifle, which locked the doors. He stood in the countdown area, screaming at us to let him out...we hid around the corner out of sight, heard a couple of big crashes, and I figured he'd kicked the outer door open. I snuck a peak around the corner, and he fired the crossbow bolt into the security glass between us. It went about 1/3rd of the way through, and I went back around the corner again until the cops had him in hand.

Twice with a gun now...Once when I was 19, mugger got the drop on me...I flipped him my wallet (with a single dollar bill and NOTHING else in it) so that it went towards the side he was holding the gun in. He had to twist to catch it with the other hand, which pulled his gun hand around. The instant it was off-line from me, I became a mere rapidly fading speck in the distance...

Second time was a police stop, I was driving home from work and suddenly the entire Columbus, Ohio police department flipped their lights on behind me...literally a dozen cars! They brought me out in a felony stop, proned me, cleared the car and patted me down. Turned out that a guy who looked like me had robbed a bank, then fled in a vehicle identical to mine, with a license plate that matched on 6 of 7 numbers, with the last number on his an 8 where mine was a 3...both round on top (which also meant the guy had been 5 people behind me in line when I registered the car, I just realized that...).
Old August 1, 2010, 01:37 AM   #45
animal

A couple of good ones …

Back in ’84 or ’85 a guy mistook me for a dude that was fooling around with his wife … while I was pulling out of the parking lot of a watering hole. The bullet came through the open driver window, passed in front of my head (felt like a light slap in the side of the face), and busted the passenger window into teeny pieces. It was a complete surprise and I couldn’t tell where it was coming from, so I ducked low and showered on the gas. Didn’t look up till I felt the gravel parking lot change to asphalt road. By the time I got back to the place, the guy had hauled butt so I asked around for info. Couple of weeks later, I found him at the same bar. A broken pool cue and a bunch of bruises on the guy later, he paid for the broken window, I paid for the beer, and we were friends. He had apologized profusely while I was beating on him and didn’t fight back(just tried to cover up while saying he was sorry), and I got ashamed of myself for hitting him so much (I was still a bit angry at the time). A gal I was "sorta dating" drove us two drunks home. About two years later the two of them were married. The world’s a strange place sometimes. We’re still friends and they’re still married. He’s a good guy, really. Never heard from others about him doing bad stuff before, nor do I know of any really bad thing done by the guy since. Temporary insanity, I guess.

Back in ’79 or so, was banging on the door of a guy’s place about 3:00 AM(that’s when he said to go by). He hadn’t gotten home yet and I didn’t know he had a roommate. Next thing I know there was this ugly toad pointing a .45 at me through the open door. The toad was cool as cucumber and said "What do you want?". "A Govt model as beautiful as that one" was the wrong answer at the time, judging by the sound of the safety clicking off. (it was a REALLY nice custom job) So I added, "Sorry, I’m looking for Paul. He told me to meet him here.", or something like that. Anyway, I guess we each impressed each other in the following conversation and with our attitudes towards the situation. He’s my closest friend in many ways and for many years now, maybe what some would call my "best friend", but I try not to rank friends and just accept them for what they are ... and he’s a toad, but he can’t help it … the Marines did that to him.

Several other times, some were good times, some not so good, but none as good as those two …as far as outcomes go.
Old August 1, 2010, 02:25 AM   #46
2cooltoolz

Quote:
Have you ever had a gun pulled on you?
yes
yes
yes

and
yes
Old August 1, 2010, 12:09 PM   #47
P5 Guy

Twice

I was walking into the Acme in my home town while it was being robbed. Two guys, I guess with stockings over their faces and a short side by side. The shotty holder was waving it around as they ran out. Flashed on my face a couple of times. The shotgun was about all I could really see.

Riding my bike thru town and was pulled over. Guns drawn the patrolmen got out of their cars. I fit the description of a guy that had been running around with a knife a half hour earlier. Looked the same from a distance, they knew who they were looking for. After taking my ID they got off me and let me go. Without so much as a "sorry about that".
Old August 1, 2010, 07:36 PM   #48
Glenn Dee

Several times... so YES!!!
Old August 3, 2010, 12:19 AM   #49
BlackFeather

A Glock 9mm feels a bit heavy pointed against your head... Police officer... I won't mention why...

I know it was a .45, and I know it was pointed at me, but I don't know why he was doing so. May have had to do with his daughter... I couldn't see him at the time.

Ex girlfriends new boyfriend wanted to display his 9mm when he thought I was snooping around... Apparently I wasn't allowed to walk under the awning by his bar... I didn't know she and him were dating...

I was shot at while hiking one night, we had no clue there was a house up there...

Neighbor pointed his shotgun at me thinking I was breaking in his truck... He is always drunk... I was going out to my car.

Shot at while I was in L.A. with my cousin, poor choice of friends on his part. I was only 12 at the time. His friends father died.

I think that's it... I hope it's all I ever deal with...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 3, 2010, 05:34 PM   #50
Sgt.Saputo

Never a gun, but had knife pulled on me not to long ago. I'm not a big guy and most people think I can't take care of myself. Think Doc Holliday, I'm not the tough guy but I'm always there to back up my friends. So I was with my friend it was about 11 and had been an "eventful" night. So we went to his neighbor's garage to hang out. His neighbor is great but his neighbor's older brother is always stealing things and getting high. So we are all having a good time BSing and his older brother comes in, I reach to make sure I have my knife on me and find I don't. So I'm a bit worried, he looks high which makes me even more worried. He just cuts in and starts talking crap to me for no reason, I just ignore him which makes him more angry. He pulls a knife with about a 6 inch blade on me, telling me how fast he is and how he could kill me before I could do anything. I don't show that I am actually worried because I have nothing to defend myself with. He pulls out a pack of smokes and drops them, he makes a mistake and sets the kife down to pick up them up. Quicker than I've ever done anything in my life I had the knife off the table, in my hand, and pointed at him. He then proceded to wimper and not move. I handed the knife to his brother and left. A few hours earlier my friend's brother and his girlfriend were fighting and he ended up getting a gun out, no one got hurt but I was ready to go for the gun at the first sign of trouble, thankfully they both calmed down and I didn't need to see if I was faster than my friend's brother.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337