The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 17, 2009, 03:56 PM   #1
sserdlihc

It just warms my heart.

I was sitting at home last night perusing TFL when my daughter came up to me and asked ''Daddy, can we go to the range on Sunday to shoot?"
I almost started to cry for joy. If it hadn't been so late last night we would've went right then! My daughter is 9 years old and I have been taking her quite a few times since she turned 9. She is actually getting pretty profecient at shooting my p22. She asked if she could shoot one of my deer rifles too. I think I am going to take my bolt action 22 mag with us on Sunday and let her squeeze off a few. It isn't one of my deer rifles but she will have fun shooting it.

I just had to share it with ya'll. It warmed my heart!!
Old December 17, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Sefner

A round of applause, this girl was raised correctly.

Old December 17, 2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Kyo

grats
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 17, 2009, 05:46 PM   #4
markj

Good for you. Being a Dad is wonderful isnt it?
Old December 17, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Chipperman

Good Job!
Old December 17, 2009, 07:57 PM   #6
drail

That warms MY heart. The best part of this is that when she gets older you won't have to worry about her bringing any creepy guys home to meet you. She'll scare those guys to death.
Old December 17, 2009, 08:01 PM   #7
sserdlihc

Quote:
That warms MY heart. The best part of this is that when she gets older you won't have to worry about her bringing any creepy guys home to meet you. She'll scare those guys to death.
One can only hope and pray!
Old December 17, 2009, 11:52 PM   #8
sakeneko

Nicely done. :-)

A friend of mine, former army medic and gun nut with a gun safe and trophies to match, taught his daughter to shoot starting very young. She's now 19, 5"0', blonde, blue-eyed, gorgeous, sweet, a brown belt in karate and takes no nonsense from no boys. Daddy and Mommy are both quite happy with the results. ;-)
Old December 18, 2009, 09:20 AM   #9
sserdlihc

It all started out us just doing something together. She really enjoys shooting with her daddy. She is in 4th grade and her teacher requires the students to write in their compositions everyday. My daughter writes alot about going shooting with me. The teacher didn't believe her until I confirmed for her that she does in fact shoot my 22lr pistol. I could tell the teacher wasn't to happy about it. "To bad, So sad, I am her Dad!"
Old December 18, 2009, 11:34 AM   #10
deanpf

Awesome!!

Common bonds between kids and parents are hard to find now a days. Enjoy as long as possible.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:46 PM   #11
rcurry

It’s unfortunate that this teacher apparently didn’t have the guidance from a loving Father who was interested in teaching him/her to shoot. If they had, then they would recognize the time you spend together shooting, is bonding time. Your Daughter will look back on these times enjoying a hobby together when she is grown with kids of her own. Don’t we all think back to those special memories?
Old December 18, 2009, 12:52 PM   #12
svaz

That's awesome. I'm sure my daughter (also 9yo) would go with me, but mom thinks, either it's too dangerous, or, paradoxically, it's too dangerous for a girl. I suspect she won't have the same reservations when the boy turns 9.

Until then, it's archery in the back yard (we've got a big backyard).
Old December 18, 2009, 12:57 PM   #13
nitetrane98

As Hank Hill would say, "Bobby, It's all I can do to not give you a hug right now."
Old December 18, 2009, 01:05 PM   #14
bangbangshootshoot

Enjoy while you can!
They eventually turn into teenagers.
Old December 18, 2009, 01:49 PM   #15
Gbro

Good for you and her!
I spent many afternoons with my 3 daughters at the range. Today we have a range at the hunting shack and also go to the local marksmanship center.
I have 7 grandchildren today and 5 of them are shooters. The 4 year old looks like it might be 6 before he is ready, and the 2 year old is beyond guessing at this point.
Old December 18, 2009, 02:12 PM   #16
sserdlihc

Quote:
Enjoy while you can!
They eventually turn into teenagers.
I won't deny that becoming a teenager will bring on a host of good and bad times. But I spend alot of time with my daughter teaching her to be self reliant and self sufficient. To believe in herself and not let someone else dictate her value system. I am a proud Papa as are other fathers on TFL. Getting out and shooting with her is OUR time together and we enjoy it.

I can't wait til she gets a little older and she wants to go deer hunting! Actually, she wants to go now. But, I believe it is too soon. Maybe by the time she is 11 or 12. That will give me plenty of time to get a nice little .243 set up for her.

I will see how she takes to my A-bolt 22mag on Sunday and go from there
Old December 18, 2009, 04:29 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
A friend of mine, former army medic and gun nut with a gun safe and trophies to match, taught his daughter to shoot starting very young. She's now 19, 5"0', blonde, blue-eyed, gorgeous, sweet, a brown belt in karate and takes no nonsense from no boys. Daddy and Mommy are both quite happy with the results. ;-)
Wouldn't happen to have a phone number...

One o the guys I hunt with, who can be pretty rough around the edges, had his daughter ask to go hunting with him this year. He had her out for youth season and he was close to tears talking about how happy he was she was hunting on several occasions that weekend.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:26 PM   #18
sakeneko

She's in college now, and too busy to deal with the hordes of males that would show up if I gave out her number to people on request. ;-) Her father isn't all that rough around the edges -- he's an MD with a surprising set of skills and interests that have nothing to do with guns. (He's a decent and completely self-taught flute player, a better-than-average and mostly self-taught amateur artist, and a serious star gazer with a pile of equipment, among other things.) But he is just a bit protective of his daughters, although I doubt that she'd leave anything for him to be protective towards if somebody messed with her. ;-)
Old December 19, 2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Uncle Buck

I wish you had invited that teacher to come shooting with you.
Maybe then she would appreciate the 'life experiences' of some of her students and have a different outlook on life.

I got a call from a school counselor that was 'seriously concerned' that my nephew, age 13, was shooting guns. I informed the counselor that my nephew had been shooting and handling firearms since he was about eight years old and was a better shot than I was. I invited him to come down to the farm some week end and participate. He said he would think about it and let me know... That was four years ago and I still have not heard anything from him. Guess he is still thinking about it.

By the way, my nephew is maintain an A+ average in school, so I guess he is not too distracted about guns.... Now the girls, they are beginning to be a distraction with him.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:46 PM   #20
sserdlihc

The teacher thinks that girls at age 9, should be in dance class or whatever is the trendy dump off place for children these days. We have been guilty of that in the past. But we go shooting as often as we can. My wife even tags along every now and then. My wife shoots a Colt Nat Match and my daughter loves it when her moms shoots the BIG gun!! My daughter has about overtaken my P22. I guess I will start looking for another 22 pistol soon for myself. Once the discretionary funds become available.

I am glad that we have found a hobby that we can do together as a family.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Elvishead

You should have said "No way!"

And then look at her with your best acting abilities and said "Well,.....ok!"

Tags
22mag , p22 , range