The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 9, 2017, 08:54 AM   #1
cobrar980

Identify Model 700

Hey all, first off, yes i know, just get the serial and stampings to identify, but looking for info someone may have off-hand first.

Long story short, seller is using as a partial trade for something I'm selling. He identified the gun as a Model 700 Sendero in .308. Just doing my due diligence to ensure the gun is worth what they want me to apply as "trade value". Also says it has a Leupold Vari-xIII 4x12. I'll get the serial and stampings later today.

So 2 things:

1. From my midnight researching, the sendero model may not have been offered in.308 (current model is not). The comparable model to the Sendero in short action was the Model 700 VS SF. I tried looking at Remingtons "model archives", but couldn't find anything to put that to rest. The stock is definitely different than the current VS SF model 700. So anyone able to confirm model just by pictures?

2. If anyone's a Leupold expert, I don't think the Vari-xIII ever came in 4x12, but the Vari-xII was. Again, either a discontinued model or it's not a Vari-xIII. According to the internet (which means it's right), there should be model stampings near the gold ring, I'll have the seller look and send to me.

Any info is helpful, thanks in advance!

Old April 9, 2017, 09:43 AM   #2
taylorce1

I'm no Remington expert but I don't remember the Sendero ever being in short action cartridges. It does look like a VSSF to me and they had several different types of stocks on them. I seem to remember they came with a laminate or synthetic stocks at various times. I think the VSSF was even offered at times with HS Precision stocks.

As far as the Leupold since it has the Butler Creek flip up covers you can't get a good look at it. The Vari-X II was offered in 4-12X50 and the Vari-X III would be a 4.5-14X50. They were both offered as well in 40mm objectives but the one pictured appears to be a 50mm. IMO the Vari-X II 4-12X50 is worth about $200-225 since it is now at least two generations old as far as the glass quality and coating are concerned, it might eve be three now that Leupold has came out with the VX3i scopes.

However, the best bet is to get the serial numbers and call Remington and Leupold tomorrow when they open.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Don Fischer

A rifle and scope is worth no more and no less than your willing to pay. If it's being bought as an investment, I don't think it's something good to invest in. If I spent to much on a rifle but was happy as could be with it, then to much was the right price.
Old April 10, 2017, 06:42 AM   #4
jmr40

That looks like a 5-R, which would be more valuable than a Sendero. But I can't say for sure from the photo's. They came with a SS, 24" fluted barrel and that Bell and Carlson stock. As far as I know only in 308.

Leupold has gone through several name changes over the last 20-30 years. the Vari-X scopes came in 3 levels of quality I, II, and III with roman numerals and the III being the best quality. Those have long been discontinued and even the Vari-X III's are not all that great by today's standards. Back in the 1970's it was one of the best you could buy though.

Next came the VX line of scopes, also with I, II, and III. Those were replaced with the more current VX-1, VX-2, and VX-3 scopes. If they have arabic numbers it is the more current scope.

If it is a 5-R check gunbroker and see what they are currently selling for used. If the scope is the older Vari-x scope it adds little to the vaue, no more than $100 and I wouldn't allow that much. If a current VX-3 it might be worth $200-$250.

If you can confirm that it is a 5-R that would be a big plus to me. They never made many and they are desirable.

Winston Churchill
Old April 10, 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
jmr40

Did some looking, I was mistaken, the 5-R did not come with a fluted barrel. My next best guess is that the stock was added aftermarket to one of the varmint rifles.

Winston Churchill
Old April 10, 2017, 08:03 AM   #6
old roper

Looks like model 700 VS SF older model. As Taylor said they had different stocks.
NRA Life Member
Old April 10, 2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Picher

I have a Sendero stock that looks just like the one on the varmint model picture. They were made by HS Precision. It's a very stiff stock with an aluminum bedding block.

A thin coat of epoxy bedding compound makes the fit of receiver to block perfect.

Last edited by Picher; April 10, 2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old April 10, 2017, 06:46 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

The rifle is a 700 VSSF from the mid 1990-2000 range. They were generally very well made.
I have the same rifle in 22-250 and it shoots very well!
The stock is a factory original HS precision.
Old April 12, 2017, 08:11 PM   #9
joed

Bingo! mikejonestkd nailed it. That rifle was very high on my list about 7 years ago in .22-250. It was one of Remington's premium rifles. I can't remember but I think it was only offered in short action.
Old April 12, 2017, 10:54 PM   #10
Lucas McCain

A warning regarding the Leupold Scope that your considering.

About 5 years ago there were counterfeit leupold scopes that surfaced here in the USA. A pal of mine bought a new Leupold Scope and there was a warning notice in the box from Leupold, that is how I found out about it.
They came from the Pacific Rim and they were very good copies and hard to see the difference. Logos, markings are the same. The one item that they did not have was the "Golden Ring" on the objective bell. The Butler Creek scope caps may be covering it up. If it don't have the "Golden Ring" it is a fake. Good Luck.
Old April 20, 2017, 04:22 AM   #11
J.G. Terry

A new model a day!

One new model a day: We have had to call Remington. With one exception information was quickly provided for 700 model and caliber plus date of manufacturer. The only exception was that one rifle could only be identified by date and caliber.

I've never had do this but would not hesitate to call Leupold. Also, there is some information on their website on the knockoffs. The only counterfeit that showed up here just didn't look right. It was, it turned, the same bogus scope as shown on the website at the time. Give um a call.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; April 20, 2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:23 AM   #12
Berserker

I put alot of research into things.

But does any of this effect the price really? Used market is what you want to pay, and often +- from sale to sale.

Leupold site will tell you what year it was made. Does it really effect the sale? Remington does the same.
Old May 1, 2017, 03:33 AM   #13
Blindstitch

Only 1 comment in 20 days so I think it's safe to say he's not coming back.
Old May 1, 2017, 04:51 PM   #14
Berserker

Probably not. But maybe someone will find that info help some day.

I am sure identify 700 has been entered in Google a few times. But ya, would be nice if the guy would have replied to his own thread.