The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2016, 05:28 PM   #1
axis223

sorting/loading LC?

just sorted 500pc of once fired LC and I have about 60% LC07 20%LC04 10%lc09 and 15mixed.

doing load workups to find the sweet spot should I use the LC 07 and see what I get and work up for each year or just have at it cause year doesn't matter?
Old May 18, 2016, 05:39 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Weigh and select a few average weight cases to represent each lot. Then find a couple, one from each lot, that are the same length. Check the water overflow capacity. This means plugging the primer pockets (decapped spent primers seated backwards is one method), weigh them dry, then fill with water level with the mouth (no meniscus) and weighing them again. Figure about 0.1 grains of powder difference for each .19 grains of difference in the water weight they hold. You can adjust loads for them that way. It would, however, be reasonable to try shooting both adjusted and un-adjusted test rounds to see if you can tell any difference on paper or not.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 18, 2016, 05:58 PM   #3
axis223

I'm really worried about pressure more than messing with accuracy.

I didn't want to load say lc07 at 23gr and have lc04 be too high.
Old May 18, 2016, 06:19 PM   #4
jwrowland77

sorting/loading LC?

I've taken case capacity checks, and like cases were spread out over the years. One year didn't particularly equate to a certain capacity.

Out of the 300 cases I just did, they went from 30.4-30.8 case capacity over multiple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk