The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
justin22885

options for bending an AK flat

im building my bulgarian AK-74 flat as a 5.45 rifle as it was intended, ill be ordering a barrel, new trigger group and 922r parts as needed and i wanted to go from a flat, i was wondering though what some of my options are for properly bending this flat

two ideas im looking at right now is an 18" sheet metal brake from harbor freight, and drill the bottom piece of the sheet metal brake so i can run bolts through it to align the receiver flat, and drill the top bar thats supposed to get clamped down to match those bolts, so i could tighten some nuts down in 5-6 different spots over the AK receiver to align it and hold it firmly to the brake for folding

the other option is making a flat bending jig where id take two pieces of angle iron, drill a hole in each end of each piece that i can drive a long bolt through with nuts on the inside and outside of both angle pieces so i can fine tune the spacing between the two pieces of angle and lock it in.. then fabricate a couple flat plates with holes drilled in it to match various holes on the bottom of the flat so i can drive long bolts through one plate, the receiver, then another plate.. lock it down with a bolt, place it on top of the two pieces of angle in between with another plate on the other side of the angle with the bolts going through it.. tighten these down to force the receiver in between the two pieces of angle, bending it

so first one is a sheet metal brake, second idea is more of a bending jig

im wondering if anyones used either method and what they think of it?
Old December 2, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Roughedge

AK builder sells a jig just for that job but its not worth it for one gun but if you look at it you may get ideas. You can do it on a break but if your not on the money you wasted a part.