The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 09:21 PM   #1
davidsoc

How is the s&w 637 ?

Im meeting someone later this week and plan on trading a couple of my cheaper guns for his 637. He says its only been to the range a couple times and has had less than 100 rounds through it.

Im pretty exited as this will be my first revolver, and ive always wanted a s&w.

Is this a pretty good model? Does it live up to the reliability older s&w's are known for? Is there anything with this model i should look out for?

Last edited by davidsoc; February 5, 2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Removed the part about used checkout...did not see the sticky before posting.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Whirlwind06

637 are nice J frames I would take a look at the revolver checkout link at the top of this page. I have have a number of air weights. Alway end up trading them for some else that I want more.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

I carry one everyday. From my pocket to my belt, it's a great gun for carry.

Old February 6, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Rodger_p

Forgive my hijack, but Shadi, when you pocket carry, do you have any issues with the exposed hammer?
Old February 6, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

I have not had any problem with the hammer and pocket carrying.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I carry my 637 occasionally now, but for a time it was my primary carry gun. In my opinion, the Airweight is just about the perfect carry snub.

As far as the exposed hammer, I never had an issue with it snagging on any thing. I suppose it could happen, but I believe the actual occurrences of it happening are fairly rare.

If it checks out, I think you would be very happy with the gun. Everyone should have at least one revolver.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
rodfac

I've not had any issues with pocket carry with my wife's 637...but it takes a fairly large pocket...front jeans pocket doesn't work for either of us...but (no pun intended) a right rear jeans pocket is just fine. A jacket side pocket is even better.

Her gun is now outfitted with a pair of Crimson Trace laser grips which are a little bit bigger than the standard "boot" grip as supplied OEM, by S&W. The gun is barrel stamped OK for +P ammunition as well...tho we only use it for carry; a good thing.

One off putting note: after less than a full box of ammunition, the gun locked up on the cylinder. However a call to S&W's customer service resulted in a FEDEX shipping label in one day,,,and a fixed and somewhat smoothed gun back in my hands in 7 days...terrific customer service...they had replaced the cylinder, trigger and transfer bar as well as some smoothing of the action.

Practice is with LSWC's loaded to the same felt recoil level ensuring compatible levels of performance. All practice is double action from three, five and seven yards, BTW. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:54 AM   #8
davidsoc

thanks to everyone for all the replies, im pretty confident im going to love the 637

the trade has been put off a few days due to busy scheduels

i forgot to post the specifics of the trade in my OP, to see if you guy think its a fair trade on both sides

i will be getting the almost new 637 for my h&r single 12 guage w/ slip on shell holder and a savage 64 w/ 3 10 rnd mags
Old February 10, 2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Thespis

I've enjoyed my S&W 637 since I got it several years ago. A bit awkward for my pocket but carries just fine in an IWB holster. As for the exposed hammer, it has never posed a problem.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:31 PM   #10
raveneap

i've been a SW owner/shooter for many years. only one I ever had a problem with was a 637 i bought Nib several years sgo. The action was extremely rough; felt like it had sand internally. Also cylinder would stick closed at times. back to SW twice at which time they gave me full credit for the 637 and I bought a different model. Haven't had any problems with my Smiths before or since and haven't hesitated to buy others. i'm sure that this was just a fluke and customer service took care of it.
NRA/C&R/CCW
Old February 23, 2013, 05:12 PM   #11
shootniron

637 is a fine little revolver. I carry a 642 nearly all of the time, and I only prefer it because of the concealed hammer.