The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Xaak

Broken Hex Wrench

I had an inferior hex (allen key) wrench snap off inside the top bolt on my Browning Buckmark. I have tried to remove it using magnets, tweezers and other items, but it's not coming out. It does have some movement when nudged, so it is not frozen in the bolt. Any suggestions on getting this out without going to the screw removing and getting a new bolt to replace it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old January 13, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
g.willikers

Try using a bushing or socket, that's the diameter of the bolt, and would allow passage of the piece of allen wrench down the center.
Turn the gun upside down, so gravity can assist, and tap the bushing or socket.
Some lube might help, too.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Using a sharp pick type tip, try to get it in the middle of it's movement... then try magnet but spin magnet counter clockwise as the wrench likely got some twist before it snapped... I have used a drop of super glue on a punch tip if some of the broken tool protruded above screw top...

Use a solvent to clean surfaces and vaseline or other light grease carefully applied to non offending surrounding surfaces in case you went heavy on the glue...

It is tedious but has worked a couple times as a last resort when welding to the offending broken tool is not possible...

Brent
Old January 13, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Xaak

thanks

I tried both, the success was when I put a bit of super glue on a head of a small panel nail, let it fix to the hex, making sure the glue was on sparingly enough so that it didn't just hold everything together. Pulled a little bit and out it came.

Thanks for your ideas.