The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2012, 11:25 PM   #1
TriumphGuy

Favorite source of once fired brass?

I'm looking for some .40 and .45acp brass. I'm not terribly picky about headstamps.

Normally, I can find it cheap at gun shows in the area or scrounge some extra at the range but I'm starting to run dry. Seems like I lose a few every trip to the range.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2
oldreloader

The last I bought was from oncefiredbrass.com and I was very satisfied with them.
Old January 22, 2012, 12:06 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

The only brass that I have ever purchased has been new.

All the other stuff I picked up at the range, or someone gave it to me. Usualy at the range I go to there is more brass than you could carry out in .40 S&W, and .45 auto. Though they emptied the buckets this week due to the fact that they were over flowing. I did however manage to scrounge up a couple hundred .38 spcl today.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:36 AM   #4
lockinload

Quote:
The last I bought was from oncefiredbrass.com and I was very satisfied with them

+1 clean and tumbled, arrived promptly.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Shootest

This guy is good too.
http://tjconevera.com/oncefiredbrass.html
Old January 22, 2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Huskerguy

right here

Have your tried this forum?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I have ordered brass from several different people on this forum and never had a problem. Some was tumbled, some not, some included extra to fill out flat rate boxes, all easy to work with. There is some advertised on there right now although I have never purchased from this person. You might try putting your own add on there for WTB brass. Just recently a person was on there and had a great price on a lot of 3,000 I believe. If I didn't already have a boat load it would be on my bench right now. good luck
Old January 22, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
TriumphGuy

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I used to scrounge most of it from a nearby indoor range, but the place has gotten downright scary lately.
Old January 22, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
amathis

I just ordered from Brassman.com on Tuesday. I just got my packages yesterday. Prices are great. He's got a great supply and great service. I'll buy from him again.
Old January 22, 2012, 09:54 AM   #9
aarhunt

Try starlinebrass.com its all new brass i belive but they sell it at a good price
Old January 22, 2012, 10:27 AM   #10
jepp2

For pistol brass I found some dealers on GunBroker that routinely have brass available. They have access to police firing ranges and you know you are always getting once fired factory brass. It is very clean and tumbled. In very nice condition and inexpensive. You might watch the auctions and ask the seller the source of their brass.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
3kgt2nv

Kbar has the cheapest brass but they are a zero contact vendor. I have ordered about 10k brass from them in the last 2 years and all has arrived in good condition. A 1k bag of brass is normally about 1100
Old January 22, 2012, 02:27 PM   #12
chris in va

If I had to buy brass, it would negate any savings I see from reloading.
Old January 22, 2012, 03:07 PM   #13
3kgt2nv

Quote:
If I had to buy brass, it would negate any savings I see from reloading.
then your over paying for your components.

or what do you do when you wear out your stock of brass?

or get a new gun you dont have brass for?
Old January 23, 2012, 01:53 AM   #14
1SOW

I agree with chris in va:

Brass is THE most expensive component for pistol reloading.

For pistol, I've never bought brass. I have over 20K cleaned and tumbled 9mm on hand sorted by headstamp. I'm lucky to have several outdoor ranges where shooters don't pick up their pistol brass--mostly 9mm Luger and 40 cal with a smattering of 45acp, 380 and others. I shoot an avg of 250rds/week and my stock is growing.

Last edited by 1SOW; January 23, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old January 23, 2012, 08:59 AM   #15
TriumphGuy

So do you guys not police your brass when you're done shooting? Just curious. You're absolutely right about it being the most expensive component, but it's also the only component that you can use more than once. I used to pick up almost all of my brass from a local indoor range. I'd go on a busy Saturday when people were there just making noise, but it's getting to the point that I'm very honestly afraid that I'll get hit by a ND.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:51 AM   #16
jal5

I have a lot of 40s range brass cleaned and i don't use them. Maybe we can set up some kind of trade, what do you have? Joe
Old January 23, 2012, 11:00 AM   #17
3kgt2nv

i police everything but i shoot about 1000 rounds per week at practice and more before a competition. I annually shoot about 80-100,000 rounds. i wear out brass a little quicker than most.

most of the ranges around me are always picked clean of everything even steel cases and berdan primed. 22's are about the only things you find.

for about every 50 shots i loose 1 piece of brass. that adds up to about 1600+ pieces of brass that go awol.

plus range pick up brass is not always up to passing my quality control. i still take it but it goes in a separate bucket.

even with buying brass i still come in cheaper than buying retail and it supplements my brass stockpile.

with shooting competitions i like to run larger lots of ammo for consistency. usually around 5000 round lots.

just to test a load i will run 1000 rounds and shoot it in a day or two.
Old January 23, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
CowTowner

If I can't find enough on the ground at the range, then my next choice is
http://www.reloadersauction.com/index.php?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 23, 2012, 12:10 PM   #19
rbf420

There is a range (in a secret place) that picks up all the brass and put it on sorting tables and sells em for 3cents per rifle and 2cents per pistol. Just gotta get the hands dirty to find the ones I need.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:28 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Brass is THE most expensive component for pistol reloading.
.... maybe if you actually pay for it.

Like you and Chris, I don't pay for brass to feed my auto loaders. I pick it up out of the mud, sand, rocks, and illegally-dumped trash in the desert and mountains. (I don't do public ranges. I always feel like I'm going to be shot in the back of the head, after the benches give me multiple STDs.)

Revolver brass is a different story, but so is the life of that brass. I don't have an issue with paying for good revolver brass. Thirty plus loads out of the cases? No problem...
Old January 23, 2012, 04:55 PM   #21
johnmcgowan

Today I just ordered 200 rounds of Winchester 270 brass from Kevin at oncefiredbrass.com. Nice guy to deal with and good prices. 100 rounds of once fired was $17.50 plus shipping.
It does not matter if you buy 100 or 1000, still the same shipping charge of 13 bucks, so I got me 200 rounds coming.
John
Old January 23, 2012, 09:11 PM   #22
Crankylove

Quote:
I don't pay for brass to feed my auto loaders. I pick it up out of the mud, sand, rocks, and illegally-dumped trash in the desert and mountains.
Quote:
Revolver brass is a different story, but so is the life of that brass. I don't have an issue with paying for good revolver brass.
Ditto for me.

When I pickup brass, it ALL gets picked up. Doesn't matter if we have a gun to use it in or not, or if it has been run over a few times, or is filled with mud or spider webs............if it is a brass case, it gets picked up and goes home with me (except rimfires).

If I don't have a use for brass I pick up, i send it to one of my brothers, my dad, or my uncle and they send some back my way. Between the 5 of us, just about everything we pick up can be loaded and shot again.........and anything to damaged to load goes into the scrap bucket.......and gets cashed in to buy more brass.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:50 PM   #23
warbirdlover

Other then the factory ammo I fired (Remington) I always bought new Remington cases. It seemed to last much longer then the other brass without having to trim as often. I also kept track of how many "trims" and would discard after four trims.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:28 AM   #24
kalevatom

The floor at the indoor range.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #25
10 acre woods

have you tried a scrap yard I found buckets of brass for a bit over scrap price around me.