The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
number9

Winchester Model 37 .410

I have a Winchester Model 37 .410 that my grandpaw handed down to me. It's not a red-letter, I know that. I have been looking to pick up another one for my sons (I have 2 sons, so need 2 of these I guess). I went and looked at one this evening and it was identical to mine, except the barrel roll marks were different. The trigger, hammer, stocks, everything was the same except the roll marks.

Hoping you guys here would shine your vast knowledge on me and let me know about this. When / why did Winchester change the roll marks? Is one an earlier version of these fine little guns? (I'd guess maybe so). If so, which version would be an older example? Also, what should one expect to pay for one of these guns in good condition - that is not a red-letter? I don't want to get hosed when buying one - mine was free

Both guns look like this (borrowed pic from the net)

Mine has these roll marks on the barrel.

The one I looked at had these roll marks on the barrel. Both guns state "CHOKE" as well.

Old September 9, 2009, 12:24 AM   #2
olddrum1

Just a stupid guess and thats all it is. Winchester came out with these from 1937 until sometime in the 60's. They quit making them for a while and then came out with the 37-A sometime in the 70's for around 8 or 9 years, if my memory serves correctly. All of the 37's I have seen have been choked full. I am not sure of the choke on the A's. You may check to see if one of these is an A. I cannot tell from the picture. They are one of the better 410's made during that time frame for the money. Sorry I was not to much help.
Old September 9, 2009, 01:24 AM   #3
number9

Thanks for your input. I should have noted in the OP that neither one of these is a 37A - they are both 37's.

Old September 9, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
TxGun

I believe the earlier 37s had the "New Haven, Conn." address on the rollmark, while the latter versions had "MADE IN U.S.A." only. Unfortunately I can't find any clear documentation on the matter.
Old September 9, 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
johnbt

Heck, I don't know and I have a Model 37 .410. I don't even know what the roll marks on mine look like.

I do know that Winchester changed roll marks whenever they felt like it or whenever they broke or wore one out. I always vote for "Patent Pending" as the oldest, but who knows.

Price? I don't know, mine was free too. $300? $400 on a good day for a really nice one? The 12 ga. guns seem to be at least $250 or $300 around here and are more common.

John