The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Glock_fan

Stupid noob question

Hi guys, I'm new to shotguns so I have a stupid question for you. When I'm cleaning the barrel is it OK to use a brass (or whatever they're made of) bore brush to clean the inside of the barrel with the choke still inside? I currently have a modified choke in it right now. If it is OK to do is there any chokes I shouldn't use? The reason I ask this is because in my limited knowedge of shotguns I was led to think that the chokes are cylindrical in shape inside, so I didn't know if a brass bore brush would damage the choke when you jam it through. Thanks in advance for your answers!

-Kurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg
Old September 8, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
JWT

No problem at all using the bronze brush on a shotgun barrel with the choke tube in it. It's what should be done.

What you don't want to do is use the bronze brush on the barrel with the choke tube out of it. There's a chance that could damage the treads and you could have problems getting the choke tube back in.
Old September 8, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3
oneounceload

Bronze isn't as strong as steel and the choke tube threads AND the threads in the barrel both need to be well-cleaned. Use a good brush and good cleaner. Once cleaned put some grease (preferable) or a light oil on the choke tube threads before returning into the barrel. Don't forget to clean old oil and lube from every other part and re-oil or re-lube as directed by the maker.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Skans

I remove the chokes when cleaning the barrels. I want to make sure that I put a tiny bit of lube on the threads to keep it easy for me to screw them in and out.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
BigJimP

I would not remove the chokes when you clean the barrel - although it isn't likely - you might screw up the threads inside the barrel ...

I clean the gun with the choke tubes in it / then remove the chokes - clean the threads in the barrel and on the choke - lube and reassemble the gun with a choke in it before I put the gun in the safe.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
JWT

I use the same procedure as BigJim for exactly the same reason he does. It is unlikely the brush would goof up the threads, but why take the chance.

When I take the choke tube out I soak it in Hoppes for half an hour or so to make the black residue from the wads easier to remove, then clean the tube, clean the threads inside the barrel, lube tube and threads with anti sieze and put back in the gun.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
oregon-john

Good advice all. If you do not remove the choke tube and clean the barrel threads, you will have problems.Carbon passes into the barrel/choke junction and starts to fill in the threads. I have seen neglected barrels that you could not remove the choke. Carbon, muck, rust, locking the choke in forever. Clean and light grease. John
Old September 8, 2009, 04:27 PM   #8
oneounceload

JWT - Brake cleaner or WD-40 used on the choke itself in a small glass container will dislodge the plastic even faster. I run my cleaning rod in my battery drill and while holding the choke in my hand - a few quick passes and it is as clean as a whistle
Old September 8, 2009, 06:47 PM   #9
BigJimP

The cleaning rod companies - sell a "chamber brush" that is caliber specific - about 10" long with a 5" brass bristle brush on it / with a " T " handle. It makes spending a little more attention on the chamber of the gun - or in the barrel threads or inside the choke tubes a little easier to handle - if you don't like the power drill idea.

I've seen choke tubes so gummed up / and stuck in the gun - that the gun had to be sent to a gunsmith to get the choke tube out - it was rusted in-place and so tight none of us could get it out even after soaking in liquid wrench for overnite..... some shooters really neglect their chokes and its sad.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

well since no one jumped on the opportunity... I will...

"The only stupid question is the one that goes un-asked!"
Never hesitate to ask a gun related question on TFL!!! The experienced are always willing to answer and many are chomping at the bit to do so... If the less experienced go giving poor advise, the experienced are quick to correct them so expect the end result to be wise, sage advise.
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Glock_fan

Thanks alot for the advise guys, it sounds like I will go ahead and clean it with the choke in it. I really appreciate it, thank alot.

Best wishes,
-Kurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg