The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #26
BigJimP

OneOunce - I have all 3 of the optional recoil pads / and all 3 of the comb inserts ...

my 13 year old granddaughter is only about 5'7" - and shoots the recoil pad that gives her a 13 1/2" lop / where I shoot the pad that gives me 14 3/8" ( which is about 1/4" shorter than I'd like, but I manage with it ) - her Point of Impact is best using the mid height comb pad / where I shoot the higher one. But that is another thing I like about the Super Sport - you just snap the pads off and on in a couple of seconds.

---------------------------------
I guess I'm a little surprised at the strong opinions of some of the gas guns vs the Benelli's - but to each his own. The gas guns are cheaper...

All of my primary O/U's are Browning, I don't have anything against Browning/Winchester corp ... I think they make a number of good guns / as do Remington - and I have a Rem 1100 and an 11-87 ( I keep them for the grandkids to shoot )...but since I got the Benelli's in 12 and 20ga, I don't shoot them anymore.

About 6 months ago, I saw a used, hardly fired, Benelli Super Sport 12ga in a local shop for $ 1,525 and I snatched it up / and sold it to a friend that was very happy to have it / some of my other buddies, who have 1100's, etc - have since bought Super Sports because they have shoulder problems ... and I'm recovering from shoulder reconstruction as we speak, and while I will probably start shooting a .410 O/U , and a 28ga O/U - I expect to be shooting the Benelli Super Sport in about 6 or 8 weeks ..... using it as a transition gun, as I get back into my heavier 12 and 20ga O/U's for Skeet.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #27
Jeff H

If you like composite black furniture, you can buy the Beretta from Wally World for under $600. Heck of a deal there for a nice Beretta.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:44 AM   #28
oneounceload

BigJim - I have an 1100, have only shot a Benelli LH Montefeltro and a Beretta 391 a few times. so I have no opinion one way or the other. IMO, both are good guns - well made and reliable. The only downside that my friends who own Benellis have mentioned is having a hard time with light target loads - talking about 2-3/4 DE around 1145 fps, which happens tpo be my favorite in 12 gauge......

And I can appreciate the detractors for their views - let's face it, even K guns and P guns have detractors as do Purdeys and Fabbris.........

IF there was one magical gun that was all things to everyone............
Old August 28, 2009, 01:12 PM   #29
BigJimP

I understand OneOunce ..... I think its funny, when someone says the Benelli's beat them up - when I have a very lightly built 13 yr old girl, with very little upper body strengh, shooting a Benelli Super Sport 12ga and she loves it ... with 1 oz loads, at 1225 fps .... / but all of my guns have the comfort tech system in them too ...so I don't know what else to say ...

I was still shooting the Benelli - with a torn bicep tendon, my rotator cuff virtually torn thru and bone spurs in my shooting shoulder - prior to my shoulder surgery last month - when I couldn't even lift a 8 1/2 lb O/U for 4 or 5 rounds of Skeet for an afternoon without getting tears in my eyes .../ now admittedly I was eating a dozen or so advil a day too - and the shoulder hurt / but my shoulder hurt just hanging there too .... and the Benelli let me shoot and wait out the surgery date. I have no doubt, I could have shot the 1100 as well / but I couldn't even handle a 28ga O/U either ....but my word, I hate cleaning those gas guns ...

All 3 of my Benelli's cycle loads - as long as they are 1200 fps. They will not cycle the load you prefer at 1150 fps / so that is a downside... where my buddy's 1100 cylces his 1150 fps loads just fine.
Old August 28, 2009, 03:12 PM   #30
Horseman

Quote:
Quote:
I like the way Benelli's fit but just passed on one this week. I think Benelli's marketing is outstanding

I think that you mean Beretta's marketing.

Benelli failed in the marketplace as a company on its own. Benelli, and all of its subsidiaries, were bought out and taken over by Beretta several years ago.

Benelli is now simply a division of Beretta.
What I meant was....Benelli has made a lot of people buy their guns with marketing. Fastest cycling? I have yet to wait for ANY semi auto shotgun to cycle before I can shoot again. Comfortech stock reduces recoil by 50%? Softest recoiling semi auto? B.S.! Easiest to clean? Maybe. There's not many parts to wipe down on a 11-87 though. And not many more moving parts than a benelli either. (Beretta's are a PITA cause of the 7 piece forend cap). Criobarrel? Not convinced on that either.

Like I said before, they're great guns but not worth the $1200-$1800 most of them run. They're still primarily blow molded plastic stocked, camoed shotguns that should cost $900-$1300 IMO.

Their marketing has them selling plastic camo for hand fitted over-under prices and I think that's B.S.
Old August 28, 2009, 03:31 PM   #31
chaser_2332

both IMO are top notch guns.......to me guns are tools and good tools are worth the money you pay for them. The 2 guns are built on differn't platforms as many has pointed out so chooseing gas or inertia should be a desiding factor only second to fit. the guns handle very differn't. i have 2 benelli's that was mainly choose becuase of the smaller frame from shooting in a ground blind my SBE II was slightly smaller than the extrema, but from an upright shooting position to me it's a coin toss
Old August 28, 2009, 04:16 PM   #32
BigJimP

We'll have to agree to disagree Horseman .....

a. but the Super Sport is a carbon fibre stock ( not exactly cheap blow molded plastic ..)

b. I think there might be something to the crio barrels - but its hard to really tell. I do know all 3 of my Super Sport models - shoot very uniform patterns with my reloads.

c. 50% less recoil / I don't think Benelli makes that claim in the marketing stuff ... but like all marketing depts they're going to put their spin on their perspective.... / Remember the Benelli is very light ( the 12ga with 30" barrels is only 7.2 lbs ) and a lighter gun means more recoil - so in my view, they've done something right. With it being a lighter gun / it certainly makes it easier to carry in the field all day too / which is not a bad thing.

Cost is relative - but I consider a $ 1,800 shotgun relatively inexpensive / and price aside, if I thought the Beretta or any gas gun was a better gun, I'd buy 2 or 3 of them ...even if they were more expensive than the Benelli.

I bought the Benelli Super Sports because I think they're a better gun - so I spend what I need to spend to buy what I consider the better gun ( I think I paid $ 1,450 for my first one about 4 years ago, $ 1,525 for a used 12ga and about $ 1,750 for the 20ga a year or so ago. I see new ones on the shelf for around $ 1,850 which I still think is a good price. Like I said, I have a couple of older Remingtons - an 1100 and an 11-87 / and they aren't bad guns / but I'm not going to buy any more of them.

But we should all share our opinions - and ultimately buy whatever we want.
Old August 28, 2009, 04:17 PM   #33
redrick

MKTexas, this is a good thread, I am debating between the same guns. I have held both of them and the Benelli fits me better and you can change the LOP more on it than the Beretta. I don't think the reciol will bother me because I shoot an old Browning A5 now and it has a hard butt pad.

I am considering getting the Beretta too because it will shoot the 7/8 loads and I want do shoot some sporting clays as well as hunt deer with the same shotgun. The 391 just drags on my shoulder when I raise it naturally, but I could have it fitted or just train myself to extend my arms further when shouldering it I guess. Does anyone know what the length of pull is on the Urika 391?
Old August 28, 2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Horseman

Big Jim P.

THe Super Sport is the exception to the rule. They look expensive. I like the carbon fiber and brushed silver receiver. My opinion is based on the 20 gauge M2 I almost bought. When you pull it out of the box it just doesn't look like a $1300 shotgun IMO. Look at all the craftsmanship that goes into producing a $1300-$1400 Browning or Beretta Over Under. Hand fitted parts, high polish, hand cut checkering, well figured walnut, etc. etc. A blow molded camo M2 should not cost the same as a well made O/U IMO.

I think mose Benelli models are excellent guns but overpriced.
Old August 28, 2009, 05:42 PM   #35
BigJimP

I understand Horseman ..... its been a good debate - and we've both shared our perspective.

Have a good weekend .
Old August 28, 2009, 05:59 PM   #36
Horseman

You too.
Old August 28, 2009, 09:32 PM   #37
oneounceload

Quote:
Cost is relative - but I consider a $ 1,800 shotgun relatively inexpensive / and price aside, if I thought the Beretta or any gas gun was a better gun, I'd buy 2 or 3 of them ...even if they were more expensive than the Benelli.
BigJim - for the price of 3 of those, you could get yourself a really nice Spanish SxS..........and have an AWESOME bird gun!.....
Old August 28, 2009, 10:29 PM   #38
MKTexas

M2 vs 391

Ok, I hear a lot about the gas guns being less money, but both of these are around $1,200.00 new.

I've sen a few used Urika 2s for $800, no used M2s
Old August 28, 2009, 10:32 PM   #39
MKTexas

M2 vs 391

Items Sold by Elm Fork

AL391 URIKA 2

Model Gauge Barrel Length
(in) Price
AL391 Urika 2 Sporting 12 28 $795
AL391 Urika 2 (Youth) 20 24 $1,250
Old August 29, 2009, 06:27 AM   #40
RJM

My local shop has a benelli M2, black composite but not comfortec stock for $850.00 new. Is that a good price for one? I don't keep up on these.

You should be able to find a Urika 2 for less than $1200.00, that sound like a price that would be on an Extrema 2, which is a great gun.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:22 PM   #41
BigJimP

Thanks OneOunce - I'll pass on that Spanish SXS ... and 3 gas guns for that matter too / now if I win the lottery, the SXS Krieghoff Essencia might be a nice birthday present ( $ 30 K would probably take care of it )...
Old August 29, 2009, 06:40 PM   #42
MKTexas

Beretta ve Benelli

I hear:

Reliability will be equal. Fit should be your deciding factor.

What do you mean by fit?
Old August 29, 2009, 06:42 PM   #43
AmmoSphere

Beretta
Old August 29, 2009, 07:13 PM   #44
oneounceload

Quote:
Thanks OneOunce - I'll pass on that Spanish SXS ... and 3 gas guns for that matter too / now if I win the lottery, the SXS Krieghoff Essencia might be a nice birthday present ( $ 30 K would probably take care of it )...
Shooting acquaintance has one - uses it for plantation quail...VERY nice CC on the receiver......but personally, for that money, I'm thinking AyA, Arrietta, Grulla or similar.....in a matched pair....
Old August 29, 2009, 11:05 PM   #45
Singlesix1954

Around here there is 2 kinds of shotgunners. Those of us who shoot Benelli... and those who want too!
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old August 30, 2009, 01:31 AM   #46
LanceOregon

Quote:
Around here there is 2 kinds of shotgunners. Those of us who shoot Benelli... and those who want too!
Oh yea, we Beretta owners have such an absolute inferiority complex, it is pathetic.

After all, who would not be totally embarrassed and humiliated to be forced to shoot shotguns like these ones from my collection???

--
Old August 30, 2009, 10:35 AM   #47
BrthrB

My pref is Benelli (M-1). I use them for work and for hunting (consistency in training). My Brother has the Beretta. From our experiences in the field, both will serve well. Find the one that handles and fits you best!
Old August 30, 2009, 01:09 PM   #48
BigJimP

Looks like a nice pair of guns Lance
Old August 30, 2009, 10:11 PM   #49
Coptalker

Love my Benelli's

I own 4 and love every one of them. I have the SBE, Nova, Legacy and Super Sport. They are so easy to clean, extremely reliable, and the recoil has never been a problem, even with the 3 1/2 goose loads. I've shot literally tens of thousands of rounds through the SBE, from trap, upland, waterfowl and sporting clays. I can count on 2 fingers the number of times the gun failed to properly cycle a shell.

I really like the look of the Beretta shotguns, and have shot several. I'm sure they are as great to own as many have reported above. For me, though, the absolute reliability of the Benelli has kept me as a livetime customer.

Glen
Old September 5, 2009, 12:05 AM   #50
ARDogman

I used to have a 20 ga M2. I liked the way the gun felt...just hated that the synthetic stock was flaking away. Anyway, I also couldn't shoot the gun for crap...maybe a fit issue. Anyway, I sold the M2, have been shooting an 1100, 870, A5 since. I have plenty of experience with shotguns, and I have had what I would consider a bad experience with Benelli. That said, I'm in the market for a new Benelli! Seems weird, but I think I might have just had a bad Benelli. I will get an M2 12 ga w/ 26" bbl soon. I know so many people who have them, and everyone who doesn't have one just simply doesn't have the disposable income to get one...otherwise they would (let me take the opportunity to reiterate that this is specifically among people I know.) Anyway...I dig the Benelli...I think it's a very good gun, and I'd go as far as to say that it's the best semiauto upland gun available.