The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 29, 2002, 12:03 AM   #1
wolfy

Best Rifle Scope Under $300?

Hi Folks, just wondering what your opinions are for the best quality - (optics, durability, adjustability) rifle scope under $300.00. My Dad and I are getting new Encore rifles for deer season this year and are looking to get good scopes for them without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old September 29, 2002, 09:21 AM   #2
Gewehr98

If you want new...

Leupolds aren't gonna be that cheap.

However, some great scopes can still be had for below $300.

Sightron hovers right around there in some of their models.

Another scope, which is coming down in price, is the older Weaver V-16. It was replaced by the Weaver Grand Slam series, but there's plenty of new ones still available. Try www.riflescopes.com there should be some deals on Leupolds, Weavers, Burris, and others there.

Neural Misfires

Last edited by Gewehr98; September 29, 2002 at 07:04 PM.
Old September 29, 2002, 02:13 PM   #3
weagle

I would get on ebay and buy a good used leupold. $300 will buy a pretty nice one and a used leupold is as good as a new one.

Good shooting, Weagle
Old September 29, 2002, 03:45 PM   #4
Gary H

You can pickup a new Leupold 3-9x40 for under $260. For another $80 over your price limit..you can purchase a 3-9x40 from Zeiss. Perhaps one of the better values in scopes today.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:59 PM   #5
dongun

Gewehr98, how does the Weaver V-16 compare to a Vari-X II? A friend told me about a flier he got advertising the V-16 4-16X42 for $213 on closeout.
Old October 2, 2002, 10:56 PM   #6
Chugach

wolfy, this may seem like a stupid question, but do you mean rifle as in "mount against the shoulder", or do you mean "long barreled pistol"?

There are specials offered here:

Leupold scope specials at CDNN

I bought a 3X9X50 from them and love it. The other Leupold shown is an extended eye relief model for pistols.

Good luck, and let us know what you settle on!

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." - Bertrand de Jouvenet
Old October 4, 2002, 02:32 PM   #7
wolfy

Hi guys. Thanks for the information. It sounds like it is pretty well decided that we should look into the leupolds. We were pretty much leaning that way before I posted the question anyway. I just wanted to see what my other options are. I'll be sure and let you all know what we decide on. Thanks again guys.

Gewehr98, thanks for the link

Chugach, that was a good question. They will definately be mount against the shoulder rifles, not pistols. Also thank you for the link.
Old October 6, 2002, 07:43 PM   #8
Gewehr98

Dongun, the Weaver is a poorly-kept secret.

I've got two of them, one on my 1000-yard 6.5-06 Interdiction Rifle, and one on my M14NM. Both are very clear with bright images, have repeatable zero through the entire magnification range, use a 42mm objective lens, and have thumb-adjustable target turrets. I own several Leupolds, so I'm not totally biased. I'd compare the V-16 to a Leupold Vari-X III, instead of a Vari-X II. The closeouts on the V-16's should still be happening, I didn't know about those $213.95 deals, I may have to get another one for a future .308 sharpshooter.

Neural Misfires