The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2002, 04:34 PM   #1
Sixgun_Symphony

Anyone here load BP for .32 Special

I read that the .32 Winchester Special was designed as a smokeless cartridge that could also be loaded with blackpowder.

This design was popular because smokeless powder was new and many reloaders were only used to blackpowder.

I am curious if any here have used .32 Special for that as I am thinking of making it my next rifle purchase this fall.
Old April 15, 2002, 05:46 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

The best question is why? There are a lot of quality BP cartridges out there.
The 32 special was origionally a smokeless load, the reason it can be reloaded wit BP is the 1 in 16 twist rate, slower than the 30-30. Do a search on BP cartridges, there is a lot of info on loading them, basically fill the case up to the bullet with powder, good idea to put a grease cake on the top, seat the bullet, and fire. Make sure there is no air space in the cartridge, it must be completely full.

Let us know how it works out, and good luck.

JM
Old November 12, 2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Shep Madera

Question has merit

I've wondered lately about this myself, Symphony.

For one, there's some versatility here. One could shoot something familiar in a special black powder match, then shoot it smokeless in a CAS Long Range side match. Two, there are a lot of 94s and 64s (my favorite) chambered for this round out there and while they're a bit dear( especially the pre-64 64s), they do make a nice heirloom/shooter. Nothing says "Deer Rifle" in my Pennsylvania memories as one of these pieces. Third, while there's a lot of black powder calibers and interest in the 38-55 calibers through .45-70 and upwards, I don't see any of my four sons using those if I were to leave one behind. However, they might be more inclined to enjoy Dad's .32 Special. They could do so without the scarcity and daunting prospect of taking on the demands of black powder. I'd prefer they use my guns rather than consign them to dust-catchers/wall hangers.

Wonder if anyone shoots a single shot in this caliber? Since the Special was expected to update and replace the .32-40, it would seem it might work for Single Shot Silhouette or, dressed up, for Schuetzen in a high wall. Shep.