The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 5, 2017, 08:06 AM   #1
Onward Allusion

Short barrel specific 22 LONG RIFLE

Anything like that out there in the market? I know Hornady, Speer and I think even Winchester have short barrel loads for the 22 WMR. Never heard of any for the 22 LR, however.
Old May 5, 2017, 08:18 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

SK makes a pistol match and so does Eley. I can tell you that from experience they don't shoot any better than the same brands produced for rifles. I'm guessing you're looking for best accuracy? If you're looking for best velocity, I'm not aware of any company making high velocity handgun rimfire ammo. I'm pretty much an accuracy nut myself and don't get too hung up on the velocity. If I think the ammo in the rimfire isn't up to the job, I use a centerfire.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Onward Allusion

Clarification - Looking for fastest, "hardest hitting" 22 LR round form a short barrel like the NAA Mini. There's info on the NAA site but those numbers are many years old. Is there newer stuff on the market geared for the SD market?

Not trying to start a debate on the merits of carrying 22 LR for SD. For the record, my EDC is a 40 or 357 Mag. My BUG is a NAA 22 mini or P32.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:02 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

I've got a Freedom Arms mini revolver in 22lr and I've killed a bunch of critters with it out to 35yds just using Win 40g HP, Stingers, etc. Any high velocity HP is going to be better than any std. velocity. Nothing is going to make it a high performer in a 1" bbl. I think you're over-thinking this. If you need more, and probably do, get a different gun. Just not enough there to work with to begin with.
Old May 5, 2017, 02:36 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

The ammunition that produces the highest velocity will nearly always produce the highest velocity regardless of barrel length.
The specialty loads for short barrels produce less flash and muzzle blast than the hot loads and they use light bullets to keep the velocities reasonable. If you want the fastest bullets then you are going to have to put up with the flash and blast of the slower powders.
The 22 LR cartridge can only hold a couple of grains of powder. The powders that will work in it are all very fast powders because you can't get enough powder into that small case to get the necessary pressures for higher velocity.
There are a few brands of 22 LR that use light bullets and produce velocities over 1300 fps. They are often referred to as "hyper-velocity" ammo. The "Stinger" and "Hornet" 22LR ammo are a couple of those. You are not likely to get reasonable accuracy from them and they may or may not cycle a semi-auto action but they will give you higher velocity.
Old May 5, 2017, 03:29 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I never heard of a .22 LR Short Barrel load.

The selection of .22 LR for Ballistics By the Inch seems odd, but I would take the Velocitor if I wanted maximum power in a pistol.
The relatively new Browning BPR is pretty hot from a rifle but I have not seen pistol velocity for it.

My little Plastic M&P .22 Compact shoots CCI MiniMag so well that I don't give it much else. Reliability has to come first.
Old May 5, 2017, 03:50 PM   #7
Model12Win

You want you some CCI Mini-Mag 36 grain hollow points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyR1K92pyq4

Quality ammo and it penetrates amazingly deep for such a tiny gun. No, it does not expand but you do not want expansion from a .22 LR from an NAA. If it expands, it will not go deep. If it does expand, it won't expand much and with these tiny guns and small caliber round you just want to make sure that little pill get to the vitals.

I'm not aware of a more conclusive test than in the above video. I carry these CCI Mini-Mag 36 grainers in my 1 1/8" bbl NAA... speaking of which, I need to ship it off to NAA to have them put it back together!! I just HAD to try and take it apart to clean it but they are virtually impossible to put back together!!

I love NAA guns. They are extremely well made and mine has gone off every single time through hundreds of rounds of all brands, including several boxes of the above mentioned load. You can't go wrong with it!!
Old May 6, 2017, 06:29 PM   #8
jmr40

I'd not worry about velocity, from a short barreled gun like that none are going to be fast. And faster HP ammo lacks penetration. I'd use reliable 40 gr solid ammo to get max penetration and not worry about anything else. CCI has always worked well for me and they make a version of the Mini-Mags with 40 gr solids. That would be my pick

Winston Churchill
Old May 6, 2017, 07:52 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Model12Win
You want you some CCI Mini-Mag 36 grain hollow points:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyR1K92pyq4
Nice. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
Old May 6, 2017, 10:45 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

...Or, some high velocity .22 shorts.
Old May 7, 2017, 01:30 PM   #11
TruthTellers

If this is for a NAA revolver, then the "fastest hardest hitting" that is available is going to be CCI Stinger, Aguila Supermaximum, CCI Velocitor, Remington Yellow Jacket.

If talking about a pistol with a 2 to 3 inch barrel, I think that the CCI Velocitor is hands down the best with CCI Stinger next and Aguila SSS third. Aguila SSS just penetrates deep enough and tumbles causing damage.
Old May 7, 2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Model12Win

To the others in this thread, do yourselves a favor and watch the video I linked to in my first post.

OP, you could choose nothing better than the CCI 36 grain hollow point mini mags.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:52 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

Nobody loads anything according to the barrel length. A .22 bullet doesn't really need to be terribly fast to, um disrupt a bad guy's day. The little fellows are usually cast and will break up upon impact sending wee fragments everywhere. Mind you, out of a novelty big kid's toy like a NAA Mini you'd have to be real close just to hit.
"...Remington Yellow Jacket..." SOB's discontinued it. sniff. My old Cooey M64 loves 'em. A Yellow Jacket will go right through an M1 Helmet. Forget how far. Some of the hanger's on at the gun shop got playing when the hypervelocity stuff first came out, 35 plus years ago. Other brands at the time were Stingers and Expeditors. Those penetrated one side of an Army hard hat.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:34 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Come on- .22 bullets are not cast. They are swaged out of lead stock.
What a hypervelocity .22 will do out of a rifle, and what it will do out of a 1.5" barrel are two ENTIRELY different things.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:34 AM   #15
rep1954

Can't really say how many Velocitors I've shot but not one memory of one not firing in a properly running gun. Now there was a time when I could say that about MiniMags and it stretched many years but in the last five years I've seen more than I care for.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:25 PM   #16
bassJAM1

I'll have to watch the video at home. But I did an experiment with a phonebook and my NAA .22 with a 1-1/8" barrel. I shot several types of ammo into the phonebook, recorded the page the bullet stopped at, recorded the page past the stopping point where pages were still ripped, and measured the diameter of the extracted bullet. Based on my slightly scientific experiment, you either want a very fast light bullet, or a very heavy slow bullet. Aguila SSS subsoni 60gr and Aguila Hyper Velocity 30gr performed the best for penetration while still doing OK with expansion.

Old May 10, 2017, 01:09 PM   #17
ShootistPRS

Penetration in paper has no correlation to any real world use. Bodies are made of elastic fibers and salt water. Paper is a brittle fibrous product that has clay added to it. (that's why it dulls knives so fast)
Running the same test in a Fackler box will give entirely different results showing the high velocity bullets penetrate less than the heavy moderate velocity bullets.
Old May 10, 2017, 02:43 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

The ShootingTheBull video is quite interesting. I guess from his results the extra four grains of mass with the Minimag solid is negated by the increased velocity of the 36gr. hollowpoint.Never really thought it would penetrate that deep, and consistently that deep as well.
His tests are very inclusive of everything others here have posted, and without doubt the CCI MiniMag HP comes out on top out of that tiny revolver.
Considering it also works flawlessly in my Taurus 22Poly if I ever have need to use it for CCW I know it will be loaded with the MiniMag hollow points.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 10, 2017, 03:01 PM   #19
Model12Win

Quote:
Penetration in paper has no correlation to any real world use.
+1.

Just like shooting into a bucket of water, phone books tell us nothing about how a bullet is going to act in tissue. By far the best and most realistic test medium is ballistics gelatin that is properly spec'd and that really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Is ballistics gel perfect? Far from it, but it's the best thing we have at the moment to provide a consistent test medium for wound ballistics.

Shooting the Bull does an excellent job and I urge all to watch his video in my OP.
Old May 10, 2017, 07:21 PM   #20
benEzra

With a barrel that short, the 60gr Aguila might be better than some of the lighter loads, if the rifling is fast enough to stabilize it.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:18 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
With a barrel that short, the 60gr Aguila might be better than some of the lighter loads, if the rifling is fast enough to stabilize it.
If you watch the excellent video from ShootingTheBull posted earlier (post #7) you would see it makes the "unsuitable" list when fired in the NAA Mini. A big disappointment to the guy that did the video.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:21 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Shooting the Bull does an excellent job
ShootingTheBull, and scubaoz both do great videos accessing the performance of self defense ammo. Scubaoz has done some 22 rimfire tests, but I don't think he has done any with a short barreled handgun.