The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 12, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1
smokepole14

Deer season muzzleloading questions

Last year I bought me a used cva wolf break action muzzleloader. Unfortunately I didn't get to go much and never shot at anything. Season here opens up Monday. I have a few questions from the long time hunters.
1. What is the best bullets to use? I have some powerbelts and they are very accurate. The only thing I've heard is they are not as good as sabots and don't leave a good blood trail.
2. Has anybody tried the hornady lever revolution .452 bullets in a sabot? I heard of one guy who swears by them and says he'd rather throw rocks at deer than use powerbelts.
3. Any good tips for the new muzzleloading hunter? Thanks guys for any help!
Old November 12, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2

As I understand it, CVA and Powerbelts are made to go together like peanut butter and jelly. That said, PB's get beat up by guys for breaking up upon impact. I have heard their premium bullets are a bit more durable but, man do they have a price tag.

To answer your second question, yes I have. Check this out:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507378

Third, make that first shot count.......the follow up shot is hard to get off when the deer you just missed is staring at you while you're trying to reload.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 13, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
cdmckane

I use the .452 Hornady XTP bullets in a black MMP sabot over 100gr T7 loose powder.

Only take shots you're very comfortable with. Chances are you won't be able to reload fast enough to get a second shot off if you only wound it.

Know your load and it's ballistics. Also know the ranges you'll be shooting from. These two go together.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
BirchOrr

Since you don't have lots of time to try different bullets (season opens Monday), stick with the Powerbelts.

There are pro's and con's to everything. Just because someone doesn't like a particular bullet, does not mean it's no good. No blood trail? Either the guy didn't get a well placed shot or missed it completely.

Good luck and go get em!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 13, 2013, 10:22 AM   #5
smokepole14

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!
Old November 13, 2013, 11:36 AM   #6
shortwave

Agree completely with BirchOrr's post.

At present, I own two inlines(had three) that will shoot Powerbelts very accurately. Have killed deer with no issue using both of them using the 245grn. copper series Aerotip PB with a 90 gr. charge.
Have never had issue with accuracy nor fragmentation on deer out to about 120yds.

I will say that with the PB's, I have experienced more 'flyers' using charges getting into the magnum range starting at about 110-115grns. and on up. But as long as I stay around 90-100grns., they are hard to beat out of these two rifles for deer.

I know time is of the essence but you really do need to get out at least a day prior to season and do your best to see where you're hitting at the distance you'll likely be shooting. But like BirchOrr eluded to, PB's will do the job just fine with a well placed shot. Deer are not that hard to kill.

Good luck...and when ya kill that deer with the PB you can go back and tell 'that guy' you threw a rock at it and killed it.

Last edited by shortwave; November 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old November 13, 2013, 03:05 PM   #7
TB9

ive been using pb's in my CVA inline since i got it new in 2001. it's a stag horn 209 magnum i use 2 50 gr. pellets and a 295 gr. copper hollow point pb. and i get excellent accuracy and havent had any break up. though i have had one that did not expand at all .
Old November 13, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
smokepole14

Shortwave I will definitely do that! I can't see why they would perform bad anyways.