The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 5, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
rebs

AR 15 trigger ?

Who has changed the stock trigger in their AR ? What did you change it to and how do you like it ?
Old December 5, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Sweet Shooter

SIG M400 Original changed for Rock River National Match two stage ($120). The RR way out performs the Milspec trigger, but is actually not light with the standard spring. The RR is very crisp and predictable... which I value more than a light touchy trigger... especially in a walking gun. The stock SIG trigger was creepier than finding a weeping nun in your basement.
-SS-
Old December 5, 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
MarkCO

I don't have an AR with a stock trigger.

I have a few GS install JPs, a POF drop-in, a CMC, a few Jards and a RR NM.

I like them all. The Jard is probably my favorite. They make about 30 different configurations in single and 2 stage with heavy and light hammers.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
RampantAndroid

Giselle Super V is an awesome trigger - should be on the VTAC website.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Mobuck

I've changed most of the triggers in my AR rifles. Various type/brands including Rock River Match, JP, and ?? can"t remember. Just installed one of the AGLmilspec that is an improvement over stock on my full time carry winter carbine. Liked it and ordered another.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
wnycollector

Six RRA NM two stage triggers here. They are on all of my AR's except for the one set up for HD. That has a stock mil spec trigger that is very very smooth from LOTS of shooting.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
rebs

Is there a way to lighten the 2nd stage pull on the RR NM 2 stage ? Can you put lighter springs in it ?
Old December 5, 2012, 09:07 PM   #8
HJ857

If you're using the rifle in a competition then the RRA NM is pretty good, though folks have reported that they do degrade pretty fast. I had one lose it's first stage after about three years.

I just swapped a different RRA NM trigger for an ALG ACT trigger with the JP spring kit. For a cheap-ish trigger, it is really nice. I understand that the ALG QMS trigger is even better. You simply can't beat the price and you get mil spec durability.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
hodaka

I've used JP and Jewell. Jewell is the best trigger I have ever used in any rifle.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Jeff H

Nothing that I have tried compares to a Geissele. http://geissele.com/ Of course, I don't think anything costs as much either. For competition, you can use any advantage you can get, so buy the best. For blasting, who cares, just pick something that feels good.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Eghad

http://www.algdefense.com/

paired with a set of JP Enterprises Yellow or Red( If you get light strikes with the yellow springs) Springs are pretty nice and a safe way to get a decent trigger on an AR-15

NRA Life Member
Old December 5, 2012, 11:29 PM   #12
MarkCO

You will have people tell you the the Geissele is the best (it is not) or the Jewell is the best (it is not either) or the JP is best (still not). You have to try them to find what is best for you and your purposes. Triggers, like stocks and comps, have a large measure of perception and preference. Anyone who insists that what is really their "favorite" is the absolute best will lie to you about other tihngs too.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Ridge_Runner_5

Another vote for the RRA 2-stage match trigger
Old December 6, 2012, 12:34 AM   #14
10-96

I've got a number of the RRA NM 2-Stages, and one of the CMMG 2-Stage triggers. I like them both wholeheartedly. The CMMG has two adjustment screws, and two brass bushings that make it look complicated- I like the feel of it, and it hasn't failed or anything- I just get a weird gut feeling that the RRA's would stand up to harsher use and time. I may be full of poop, but that's the feeling I get. To be honest, I would recommend either one.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:27 AM   #15
tahunua001

I changed mine to a rock river arms 2 stage. broke that MOA barrier. 'nough said.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:58 AM   #16
scsov509

Quote:
Is there a way to lighten the 2nd stage pull on the RR NM 2 stage ? Can you put lighter springs in it ?
There are some ways to lighten it, but if you don't know what you're doing you can pretty quickly turn it into a single stage trigger. As far as lighter springs, you can try the JP reduced power springs, but there's also a risk of getting light primer strikes with the lighter springs. So if you go with lighter springs I recommend the JP disconnector and trigger springs with the standard hammer springso that you don't risk light strikes. That seems to be a pretty good combination that'll maintain reliability and also improve the trigger.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:13 AM   #17
chadio

CMC. It's like breaking a small pretzel stick.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:54 AM   #18
ronl

I have two, RR and CMMG. Both are pretty decent. You can lower the trigger pull rather easily in any AR simply by installing an anti-walk pin in the trigger and sliding the spring under the pin. You just have to check for light primer strikes. I did that to my RR trigger and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Lowered the pull near a pound and made a good trigger even better.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:28 AM   #19
scsov509

Quote:
You can lower the trigger pull rather easily in any AR simply by installing an anti-walk pin in the trigger and sliding the spring under the pin.
I did this on one or my rifles with a mil spec trigger and KNS pins installed, and it really did make the trigger feel a ton better. It is important to have anti-walk pins installed or you pins will walk out under recoil without the spring leg to hold them in place. Works well though for a cheap trigger job as long as you can still get reliable primer ignition.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:31 AM   #20
magmax

I have a Timney Trigger in my Sig M400 and it just couldn't get any better for me.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:12 AM   #21
rebs

How well would it work to lighten the trigger if I just changed the trigger spring and left the original hammer spring ?
Old December 6, 2012, 08:10 AM   #22
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
With the RRA two stage you are limited to using different spring rates on the hammer and trigger springs. Changing spring rate may cause light strikes. If you have the hands on experience you can work with sear angles. Most all two stage AR triggers are based on the A-bolt/Garand/M14 trigger design.

My preference is the ArmaLite two stage. The ArmaLite has additional spring interfaced with the disconnecter and is adjustable with three positions, each position changes weight about .5lbs. The ArmaLite web site has articles on tuning the two stage trigger.

Old December 6, 2012, 09:09 AM   #23
rebs

Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Achilles11B

Another vote for Giessele. I haven't tried every one out there, but it works beautifully in my SPR-ish build.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:00 PM   #25
rebs

where can I but anti walk pins ?