The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Will Lee

View From My Stand

Frame capture from video taken Friday 12/9/11 @ 08:39.
Big boy under the feeder is a wide 8 but G2&3 not long enough this year, maybe next.

Foard County Texas, range from Stand to feeder 220 yards.

Full video can be viewed at:

http://youtu.be/aO8GbIqdrBU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deer.jpg (43.2 KB, 359 views)
Old December 12, 2011, 01:15 PM   #2
upstate81

Feeder huh? Must be nice.
Old December 12, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Sure is...
Brent
Old December 12, 2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Logs

Corn prices were too high for me this year to use a feeder. Tons of acorns on the ground. Nice picture.
Old December 12, 2011, 02:33 PM   #5
upstate81

Living on a farm I have a few differents baits I could use but the state of new york says other wise. Lemme ask this would any sane person go fishing with no worm on their hook?....heck no.
Old December 12, 2011, 02:53 PM   #6
shortwave

Love the looks of that Will Lee.

Gotta a couple questions for ya!

What did you make the legs for your feeder out of ? Too, as far as refilling the barrel, how have you found it easiest to do and how much corn do you put in barrel when filling?

I've got a feeder mounted on the bottom of a 55gal. steel drum with removable top. Want to get it high enough in the air so deer can't knock feeder off and still be able to lower barrel via the cable/winch on ATV to refill.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:06 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
Nice for getting deer to bunch up, nose to nose ...... then when 1 gets sick, all the rest do, too .......

Nice.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Will Lee

Quote:
Corn prices were too high for me this year to use a feeder. Tons of acorns on the ground. Nice picture.
No acorns in this country, only Mesquite. Corn prices at the local feed store, 50lbs - $9.00.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Will Lee

Quote:
Love the looks of that Will Lee.

Gotta a couple questions for ya!

What did you make the legs for your feeder out of ? Too, as far as refilling the barrel, how have you found it easiest to do and how much corn do you put in barrel when filling?

I've got a feeder mounted on the bottom of a 55gal. steel drum with removable top. Want to get it high enough in the air so deer can't knock feeder off and still be able to lower barrel via the cable/winch on ATV to refill.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Hey Shortwave, legs are 2" water pipe about 6.5 feet long. I'm 5' 8" tall and the timer is at eye level. Use an 8' ladder to fill the feeder. Stakes are driven into the ground next to each leg and securely fastened to prevent cows from knocking it over. This feeder holds 200 lbs. Hope this helps.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:58 PM   #10
shortwave

Thanks Will Lee, helped alot.

Quote:
Nice for getting deer to bunch up, nose to nose...then when 1 gets sick, all the rest do too...Nice
Jimbo,

Deer live in bunchs in the wild. Those bunchs communicate, eat out of the same fields and acorn patchs. They run the same grounds and sometimes a bunch will even join another bunch.
Ever witness a group of does join another group and the two dominate does spar for who was going to lead the pack?
Then we have buck bachelor groups that run together throughout the summer with bucks dropping out and joining the group all season.

Could a feeder help to spread an already existing disease,yep, but if a disease is in a deer herd, more than likely the disease will spred rampantly on its own without feeders.
Old December 12, 2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Saltydog235

Quote:
No acorns in this country, only Mesquite. Corn prices at the local feed store, 50lbs - $9.00.
We bought cob for $7/bag at the beginning of the year. Right now a 50lb bag of shell is running $12-$15 depending on where you go.

I doubt I could let those horns walk. Been a while since I saw a decent rack in daylight around here. Plenty of sookies to shoot though. Got a double last night.
Old December 12, 2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Will Lee

Quote:
Quote:
Nice for getting deer to bunch up, nose to nose...then when 1 gets sick, all the rest do too...Nice

Jimbo,

Deer live in bunchs in the wild. Those bunchs communicate, eat out of the same fields and acorn patchs. They run the same grounds and sometimes a bunch will even join another bunch.
Ever witness a group of does join another group and the two dominate does spar for who was going to lead the pack?
Then we have buck bachelor groups that run together throughout the summer with bucks dropping out and joining the group all season.

Could a feeder help to spread an already existing disease,yep, but if a disease is in a deer herd, more than likely the disease will spred rampantly on its own without feeders.
We do not have to worry about sickly deer. We have a thriving population of Coyotes.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Hog Buster

Yeah, feeders are great. Mine is set to go off at 5 PM. The problem here is getting them to show up about 30 minutes earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Late Again.jpg (88.1 KB, 51 views)
Old December 12, 2011, 10:43 PM   #14
Will Lee

Quote:
Yeah, feeders are great. Mine is set to go off at 5 PM. The problem here is getting them to show up about 30 minutes earlier.
Attached Images Late Again.jpg (88.1 KB, 0 views)
Nice deer, feel your pain.

I have my feeder going off four time a day during hunting season.
07:30, 08:00, 16:30 & 17:00

We call it ringing the dinner bell.
Old December 24, 2011, 09:30 AM   #15
warbirdlover

No feeders allowed in Wisconsin. In rare areas where you can bait only a gallon(?) of corn is allowed. SIL got busted big time one year for having too much corn out. I hunt in a white oak woods so the whole forest floor is covered with acorns.

The reason Wisconsin doesn't allow feeders is to control the spread of CWD. It hasn't spread very much since they passed tight laws on baiting so grouping up by feeders will spread CWD. BIL retired from the DNR a couple years ago. Of course he knows everything there is to know so I try to avoid asking him any question which would allow him to talk down to me...

Quote:
We do not have to worry about sickly deer. We have a thriving population of Coyotes.

Will Lee
We did too but the wolves ate them! Now we had a cougar on our land all week of gun deer season so maybe he'll eat the wolves. We had one wolf howling not 50 yards from one of the guys blind. This is CENTRAL Wisconsin, not northern Wisconsin. These pics are of a small wolf the first year we started seeing them (taken by one of the guys bowhunting near the road). The alpha male is a huge black sucker that's already chased deer right by some of the guys blinds. They get bolder every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolf5.jpg (96.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg wolf6.jpg (94.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg wolf2.jpg (95.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by warbirdlover; December 24, 2011 at 09:41 AM.