The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 9, 2010, 02:52 PM   #1
kable2010

shooting mats

Hello all, I'm a new user to this forum, glad I found it. I need some help on my wife's behalf. She is a member of Appleseed and is getting into the long range shooting discipline and she needs a good quality shooting mat as well as other equipment (jacket, gloves etc.) I've been surfing the web but could use some counsel on good quality brands and retailers. Any and all comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:42 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

www.championshooters.com/
www.champchoice.com
Creedmore sports.
You probably won't find any of this stuff in stores.
A lot of the equipment is personal preference. I like a mat with a water resistant bottom. Rubber nonslip surface for the elbows. There are also some with a foam pad for extra comfort. Same for gloves. I use an Anschutz full finger type.
If there is a Highpower rifle match near you that would be a place to see these things up close.
It's great that you're supporting your mate.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 30, 2010, 01:54 PM   #3
ammoeater

Currently backordered, but you can get in on the sale price if you don't mind the wait. Great deal for this mat:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=169107
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old March 30, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Nowhere Man

I have a Midway mat. It's quite small.

The Dillon mat is much nicer. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...7/Shooting_Mat

I've drooled over the mats from Champion with the grippy rubber. http://www.championshooters.com/index-ssl.html That would be my first choice if price was no object.

Dave
Old March 30, 2010, 02:48 PM   #5
ammoeater

Actually, the Midway mat is 69"x27" and the Dillon is 66"x27.75". I'm 6'1" and the Midway works fine for me, I'm sure his wife isn't as big as me.

It's the only mat I've used, and I'm sure there are better ones available, but I don't think you can beat it for $25!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, - go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!
Samuel Adams
Philadelphia Statehouse
1 August 1776
Old March 31, 2010, 03:24 PM   #6
4EVERM-14

When you get around to finding a jacket consider a simple cloth coat. It is an excellent starter. See the O.D. Green cloth Coat
http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Coats-337.aspx
Even if the wife has HighMaster shooting skills a coat like this will work well.
The heavier leather and cordora coats are also good but pricey options. Let your checkbook be your guide.
Note: ISSF/ISU coats have buttons as required by international rules. NRA coats have straps to help snug up the coat.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 3, 2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Tim R

I would recommend a mat from Champions Choice or Creedmore Sports. More expensive but head and shoulders above the mat from Midway.

Coat, again my choice would be from Creedmore Sports. They are the standard for High Power shooters. I would go after their nylon hard back coat as they are a less $ than leather but still a quaility coat. I've used the same nylon coat for 20+ years but it is starting to get smaller for some reason.

You will also need a spotting scope and scope stand in order to read the wind. I would suggest nothing less than 80 mm 27 x Kowa for the scope. Nothing less than a 1 inch rod on the scope stand which can be had from Creedmore Sports or Ray Vin.

Buy smart, buy once.