The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 10, 1999, 07:13 PM   #1
ThomasH

Hi gang!

I have finally set up a dinky web site, and on it I have some targets that can be downloaded.

I make lots (too many) targets myself on my computer, and print them. Then I tape them, nine at a time, to a large cardboard sheet. Then I take that sheet (actually several of them) to either the indoor or outdoor range and shoot them up! I'm trying to encourage you to do the same!

There are "bullseye" style, "silhouette" style, and even some previews of my "Real Picture" targets (the real target files are too large to fit on my small -but free!- Compuserve web page). And I have way too many other styles too!

The page is at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/TPHaller

Let me know what you think! There are also some knife, gun, ammo can and sandbag pictures there too! Enjoy!

Thomas
Old February 12, 1999, 01:29 PM   #2
ThomasH

Okay, okay, don't get too excited everybody!

I have made a couple of "improvements". Since it seems too many people don't know what to do with the Illustrator files (which is really the way to go BTW), I have also made some pretty good JPEG versions available for the Bullseye and Silhouette targets. The link is right under the preview pictures. The target page is here: <A HREF="http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/TPHaller/page3.html">Target Page </A>if you want to jump there directly.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

Thomas

Old February 12, 1999, 01:45 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Thanks Thomas, Great Resource! I downloaded one of the bullseye type targets.
Old February 12, 1999, 01:57 PM   #4
ThomasH

You're more than welcome Rob! Are you able to take advantage of the Illustrtor files, or did you grab a JPEG? Just keeping track!

Thomas

P.S. It's amazing what you can do by just looking at the "source", the HTML, at other pages. I don't know anyting about HTML, but was able to put my pages together by looking at other people's pages that I liked, and then looking at the HTML. Cool!
Old February 12, 1999, 03:31 PM   #5
RadarMan

Might I suggest investing in a can of matting spray and paste the targets on the card board. The spray is very fast drying but you must spray both the target back and the cardboard backer to have it be effective. 3m and elmers makes the stuff. Look at home depot or lowes.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RadarMan (edited 02-12-99).]
Old February 12, 1999, 03:34 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

I grabbed the JPEG. I might be able to use the illustrator file in my funky image application, but I try to avoid learning how to use things to their full potential, lest my ingenuity suffer.
Old February 12, 1999, 03:44 PM   #7
RadarMan

I love the internet!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>ELMER'S SPRAY ADHESIVE
Specially formulated for mounting items to a variety of surfaces, including plastics. Dries fast and clear, sprays wide to cover large areas. Try the Extra-Strength for fast-grab mounting to styrofoam and foam board, dries fast for a strong permanent bond!

Sizes:
4 oz Can
11 oz Can

[/quote]

------------------

Old February 12, 1999, 04:56 PM   #8
Morgan

Joe Dioso has a neat <a href="http://www.dioso.com/targets.html">target site</a>, too. My buddies and I like playing darts, and Dioso's dartboard target makes for a good game of range cricket!
Old February 12, 1999, 06:37 PM   #9
ThomasH

Thanks RadarMan,

I use spray adhesives but wasn't aware of an "Elmer's". But I use the cardboard over and over again, cutting off the old targets (by cutting the tape holding them) and then tape a new set to the same piece of cardboard. I also turn the cardboard over to better distribute the bullet holes. Eventually they got "shot out", and I have to find some more big pieces of cardboard (like outside of an appliance store!).

Thanks for the info!

Morgan, I had tried a couple of Joe Dioso's targets, but the ones I got were fairly small JPEGs that ended up pretty blurry by the time I printed them on an 8.5 x 11 paper. I'll go back and take a look at his "dartboard" that sounds like fun! (hmmm....a dartboard eh?.....remember the back side of the dartboards, that have a "baseball" game on them?.....hmmmmmm)

Thanks for the info, too!

Thomas
Old February 12, 1999, 06:42 PM   #10
ThomasH

Rob,

I _do_ know what you mean. I refuse to get a scanner, because not having one has kept me from doing lots and lots of work! I've had a great time turning down work I don't want to do, by saying, "Oh, sorry, I don't have a scanner." and trying to look sad, when I'm very happy!

My mom told me when I was quite young, "It's okay to know how to type, but just don't let anybody know!" (Of course, I never did learn how type.)

Thomas
Old February 12, 1999, 06:50 PM   #11
ThomasH

Wow, Joe Dioso's <A HREF="http://www.dioso.com/targets.html">page </A>is much improved since I visited it last. I see he's starting to use an object oriented drawing program, good move! I just wish it was Illustrator!

I'm going to put a link to his page on mine, His page is great! And his ideas are too!

Thomas

[This message has been edited by ThomasH (edited 02-12-99).]