The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 6, 2000, 12:23 PM   #1
Hard Ball

I notice that CAS shooters normally carry two revolvers. Are their any CAS stades of fire which allow the use of two guns simultaneously eg a gun in each hand? If not, why not since this technique was used by some shooters in the real old west?
Old March 6, 2000, 01:21 PM   #2
TOMBERGSTR

You can do it if you can do it safely . Most people are " strong side shooters " . That is they can shoot well with inly one hand . The one they use most . Since the total score is hits and time you may lose hits to get just a teeny weeny bit of time . Not worth it unless you are REALLY good with your " weak side " . You better try it alone first just in case you can't compete firing 2 at one time . This way no one except yourself will know .
Now if you just wanna " make smoke " go for it . You will be the center of attention for that brief time .

------------------
TOM SASS MEMBER AMERICAN LEGION MEMBER NRA MEMBER
Old March 6, 2000, 01:24 PM   #3
Joe West

The "border shift" shifting an empty gun from the strong to the weak hand and therefore the loaded gun to the strong hand or uninjured hand, is a documented old west gunfight technique. The blazing gun in each hand is most commonly recorded as a Hollywood method. Regardless, there are stages in SASS matches where folks who are shooting in the Gunfighter Class shoot with a blazing sixgun in each hand. Due to safety considerations, not everyone wants to do this, so it is a seperate class.
We have stages in our matches to accommodate this class. Come on out and do it!
Joe West

[This message has been edited by Joe West (edited March 06, 2000).]
Old March 7, 2000, 02:57 PM   #4
Hard Ball

Thanks for the information. I just might do that.
Old March 8, 2000, 09:50 AM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Gunfighter Class also alternates the firing of pistols. Right hand, then left hand and back to right hand. Those that shoot it are pretty fast anyway. But they will be the first to admit they don't really gain that much time. They have told me they do it just to look good and have fun. Reason enough for me. I'll have to remain two handed strong side until I get some better times.