The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 1999, 12:26 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

I was considering the purchase of an 870 Marine Magnum... I was wondering:

Is this weapon as good as the comparable offeringss from Mossberg and Winchester?

Is the best barrel length 18" and what's the best choke configuration?

Is the finish really durable and corrosion resistant?

Can the barrel be switched out to one for hunting if desired?

What is a good price new? Any things to look out for?

Thanks much as I am new to scatterguns!

Ben
Old September 16, 1999, 05:37 PM   #2
jimmy

I may be able to respond to a couple of the questions.

The 870 Marine Magnum is as good as either its Mossberg or Winchester competitors. I personally find it better than the Mossberg in fit and finish. (No flames from Mossberg fans, please--I like Mossies, too! ).

I don't believe that Remington offers a choice of either barrel length or choke in the Marine Magnum. So an 18-inch barrel with cylinder bore is what there is. For a defensive weapon, this type of barrel would probably be my first choice anyway.

My 870 Marine Magnum cost me $419, which is over $150 more than an 870 Express HD. I don't know if this is a good or a bad price--my local dealer has had exactly one Marine Magnum in his shop so I went for it while I could. I guess the premium finish and magazine extension add to the price.

Hopefully another poster can respond to the other questions, or improve upon my responses.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited September 17, 1999).]
Old September 18, 1999, 07:08 AM   #3
Woody

The Marine Magnum is only offered in 18" cylinder bore barrel, though if you bought a spare barrel for an 870 it would fit. But it wouldn't be legal for hunting unless you made a plug to block the magazine capacity to 2 rounds. A standard plug would be too short because on the extended magazine cap on the gun and the gun will actually take 3 rounds in the mag. Remington does not offer any other barrels in the marine finish. If you wanted another barrel in a longer length for hunting, there are many companies offering a hard chrome refinishing, and you could buy a 870 barrel and have it refinished.

The finish is very durable and is naturally slick so you don't have to use alot of lube. A customer that bought one from me keeps his in boat and he's had it there for 2 years with no rusting, or surface discoloration.

I don't think you could go wrong by purchasing one of these.
Old September 20, 1999, 10:27 AM   #4
Futo Inu

Where would one buy said mag extensions for the 870 (as well as extra barrels for same)?
Old September 21, 1999, 03:59 AM   #5
Woody

Fotu Ino the Marine Magnum comes stock with an extension built into the barrel retaining nut. It allows the Marine to hold 5 or 6 rounds in the mag. tube instead of the standard 4 rounds. You can buy magazine extensions from just about any good gun store, and spare barrels also. Mossberg is now making a couple of barrels designed to fit the Remington 870 and I have had good luck with them. They cost about 1/3 what Remington wants for a spare barrel. There are several different companies making magazine extension and other accesories.
Choate, Tac-Star, and Scatterguns.
I've used Tac-Star and scattergun mag. extensions and both are very good in quality.
I don't have any experiance with choate goods in actual use but they seem to be good in quality.
Old September 21, 1999, 02:34 PM   #6
Futo Inu

thanks Woody!
Old September 25, 1999, 09:37 PM   #7
B Shipley

Does anyone make an extension that is flush or slightly shorter than the barrel (18")? I just bought an 870 HD today and am interested in more firepower, but hate that extra 1/2-3/4" overhang on the 870 Marine.

I like the Win 1300 (right model?) pumps and the extended mag tubes that come on their defenders, but bought Remington for its good rep.

Does Rem make shorter extension tubes, or anyone else, for that matter?
Old September 30, 1999, 02:44 AM   #8
Woody

B Shipley
In regards to a shorter magazine extension yes they do. Scattergun Tech. makes a 1 or 2 round extension that is perfect with an 18" barrel. It only protrudes about 1/4" past the end of the muzzle.