The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2017, 05:14 AM   #1
Old Stony

S&W Core sight problem

I got a wild hair and decided to set up a new night time pistol to haul around while I was hunting hogs. I have a Glock 22 that I have used for a long time with night sights and a light hung underneath it, and it's worked okay....just wanting to try something new.
Anyway, I bought a S&W Core model in .40 caliber, thinking the optic sight might just be the ticket for what I do....but found I really didn't like the red dot sight. I have an M&P Pro in 9mm and figured maybe I'd just replace the sights on the Core with similar night sights and use it like that....but the rear sight is positioned further back and Novak or similar styles just won't work. I need a rear sight that basically sits vertically in the dovetail as the others will just hang off the back of the pistol.
I've looked around and can't seem to find a compatible sight setup. I even checked out Dawson Sights products, and they don't make a regular low night sight..only fiber optics.
Does anyone know of a product that might give me a sight picture similar to the Pro model sights that aren't really high to co witness through an optic sight...that might solve my problem?
Old November 20, 2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Old Stony

Finally gave up and instead of just perusing Dawson's web sight, I called them and told them my problem. Turned out it wasn't a big problem for them, they are sending a set of their sights off to have them converted to night sights and said they will have them to me in 2-3 weeks. Total cost 129.00....which could have been worse.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Old Stony

Surprised the heck out of me....the new sights showed up here in the mail in 4 days! I haven't gotten a chance to get them mounted and tried out, but they look good.
Old November 26, 2017, 05:48 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I installed some sort of night sights on a 1911 once. The diagram provided by the mfg was useless. It was a lot of milling machinework and a couple of broken mill bits.

How about a picture?
Old November 26, 2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Old Stony

Just dealing with dovetails already cut here. I've installed a lot of sights like this before, but no machining needed. My problem was just finding the proper heights and configuration to match the slide.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:44 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

That's nice. The customer didn't have that in consideration when he bought the sights.