The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 21, 2015, 08:54 PM   #1
crust cruiser

Moisture and guns

First post, hi all. I bought my first hand gun last spring. We have been having some cougar sightings and I felt like I wanted some security. I hike, bike, ski, etc. and expect to do all of these activities carrying a handgun at times. I do have concealed permit. Last night I rode my bike with my Ruger LCP 380 in the back pocket of my cycling coat, where it would be easiest to get to. When I got home and pulled the gun out it had moisture on it that was probably sweat or at least humidity that came from my body. I am wondering if I should be concerned about corrosion. Parts of the gun are polymer and I am not worried about that but many parts are alloy steel, and the barrel is blued. If it is a problem how would you avoid it? Putting it in a plastic bag would help but would hinder quick access. I imagine having this problem back country skiing as well. Maybe even hiking. How do you all carry in these conditions where there is moisture potential?
Thank you for your thoughts...
Old October 21, 2015, 10:15 PM   #2
rickyrick

I've never had issue with a carry gun corroding because it gets handled at least twice a day. I had them damp from rain, sweat, condensation ect and is always fine.

The finish on my beretta gets glossier as the years pass. I've had blued handguns with the same results

If you store it for any length of time, you should clean and oil it before hand.

If you carry everyday, you should be fine.
Old October 21, 2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Moonglum

Can you at least tell us what state you're in? Humidity makes difference.
Old October 21, 2015, 11:25 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

The bottom line is that if the gun is getting wet on a daily basis you'll need to maintain it on a daily basis.

Not advocating this approach, but you can carry a gun in Ziploc bag and shoot it through the bag if necessary. I did it once just to see how it would work. It worked fine with the gun I tested although it wasn't ideal at all for getting a good grip and making good hits.

For the external parts of the gun that are metal, you might consider a protectant like Boeshield or a wax of some kind.

A more expensive option would be to have the metal parts of your gun plated with a corrosion resistant finish like NP3, electroless nickel or perhaps chrome.

However, not all the metal parts can be plated and that gets us back to the beginning statement. If your gun is getting wet on a daily basis it will need daily attention.
Old October 21, 2015, 11:56 PM   #5
crust cruiser

Thank you for the thoughts guys. I never Really thought about leaving it in the bag. I think I might try that, test it on the range. I am in Oregon Moonglum, on the dry side, so basically desert. So it would dry out thoroughly probably within an hour inside the house. And I'll be looking/cleaning the gun frequently to be sure no problems are developing. Forums are a godsend. So much great information shared, thanks guys.
Old October 22, 2015, 01:13 AM   #6
ChileVerde1

Eezox CLP

I have some colleagues that are on our maritime patrol units that told me they swear by Eezox. They were using previously using agency issued HK P2000 and HK USP 40 with standard finishes and kept having lots of issues with rust in the moist salt air This was particularly bad with all the little internal springs, etc… on the LEM models. After trying every available product with little to marginal success they told me they settled on Eezox. BTW, eventually they transitioned to Glock 23, but I'm not sure if they have an aftermarket finish or not. A lot less problems though…. with regard to rusted internal parts… There's something to be said for due diligence and maintenance too. Any cleaner or carry method won't be the end all. I've surprised myself at how quickly rust can pop up from fairly innocuous tasks!
Old October 22, 2015, 06:38 AM   #7
jmr40

As long as you stay on top of things you won't have any issues with the gun functioning. You'll get surface rust and the blue will eventually be worn thin, but it'll still shoot as long as it is maintained. That isn't a showpiece and I personally like the looks of a well used gun.

Switching to a stainless gun or something with a more resistant finish would make keeping it new looking easier. But wouldn't make it completely immune from the effects of moisture.
Old October 22, 2015, 07:20 AM   #8
drobs

Spray a little gun oil, of your choice on a rag, and wipe it down every night.
Do a more thorough cleaning once of a month or if the gun is sopping wet.

That or carry a Glock.
Old October 22, 2015, 08:19 AM   #9
rickyrick

I live in the wettest place in the country.

I live in washington state west side of the cascades. Sometimes my inner walls sweat.
Guns in the safe need attention. The gun I carry daily rarely needs much...
Old October 22, 2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Nathan

Find a lube which does well in corrosion tests and a good finish....you'll be good then.

I use Weaponshield and my CCW's all have a good finish like duty coat or DLC. Hornady One Shot TAP Xtreme would be good too.
Old October 22, 2015, 10:08 AM   #11
cc-hangfire

Welcome to the forum ccruiser.

One addition to good advice already mentioned. I've used paste wax on the slide of my pocket carry gun - I live in the hot & humid southeast - and have had no rust issues. I also do regular weekly maintenance. I've used a canuba wax but Johnsons paste wax also works. Heat the slide to about 100 degrees, apply wax while avoiding getting in the firing pin channel openings. Let cool and buff off excess. I've cleaned and lubricated as normal after the waxing several years ago. It's another option that may help.
Old October 22, 2015, 11:16 AM   #12
kilimanjaro

Keep your pistol oiled and lubed, for a start. Also, get some thin plastic bubblewrap and a piece of fairly stiff plastic or cardboard, cut board to a bit smaller than size of your pocket, turn and securely tape the bubblewrap around the board, and slip into your coat pocket as a moisture barrier. Carry the pistol with the barrier between your body and the pistol.
Old October 22, 2015, 06:05 PM   #13
AK103K

Your LCP will rust, and it wont take long, especially if your sweat is toxic. I was carrying mine in a Smart Carry meant for my Seecamp, and the LCP being bigger, was exposed at the top. Before the week was out, I had rust on the slide, and I wiped the gun down every day.

I ride road and mountain bikes too, and I carry my Glock 17 in my CamelBak.

If youre worried about rust, the Glocks are one of the better choices. Hard chrome would be my next choice.

I carry a Glock 26 in a Smart Carry daily, and while I do find the top part of the slide wet with sweat at the end of most days in the summer, and I have yet to have any rust. I just wipe it off with my tee shirt too. No biggie.

Ive had good luck with Eezox on things around the house, and especially in a somewhat damp basement. If youre active and using it on a carry gun, I would still wipe the gun down every night.
Old October 22, 2015, 06:50 PM   #14
rickyrick

I must add that I'm originally from the south. I would suggest cotton garments. Cotton undershirt tucked between the gun and your skin and cotton over garment such as an all cotton button up shirt.
This should wick much of the sweat away from your gun.

I wear cotton constantly, it's the safest in case your involved in a wreck or a fire. Those are higher probability events than needing a gun and greatly enhance the survivability. It also breathes.

When I hunted coyotes and pigs and worked on a Texas farm, I had a rifle always ready, and never had a rust issue because it was handled regularly. But put them away for a few days... Look out here comes the rust.

I have the same phenomenon with pistols, when I carry they don't rust. That's probably because I handle them and check them over each time I put it on and take them off. My cotton clothing keeps them unofficially wiped. I oil the moving parts when needed.

Each time I put on the gun, I take it out of the holster and check it's status, I do the same when I take it off.
It's in the bathroom with me when I shower, (awesome steamy hot showers)

I'm not sure why others have rusty carry pistols, never happens to me, only wears the finish thin in spots, that's all.
Old October 22, 2015, 07:38 PM   #15
colbad

I don't want to sound like a Frog Lube commercial, but i consider it the best. It completely seals the metal from sweat and water making the gun completely rust proof.

Break down the LCP, give it a good coating and don't worry about the gun. However, be careful not to melt your plastic when heating the metal! I have used it in Afghanistan and daily in sweaty AZ heat. Not only protects metal but dry lube as well.

I would be more concerned about rotating the ammo and keeping it fresh from contamination.
Old October 22, 2015, 07:44 PM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
I'm not sure why others have rusty carry pistols, never happens to me, only wears the finish thin in spots, that's all.
Id say your very lucky. A lot depends on what your lifestyle is too.

If you work outdoors and wear cotton you know how wet it gets in pretty much any weather, especially if your active, and it doesnt dry out very quickly. Anything against it, is wet as well. Summer is usually the worst, but even in winter, if your active, it gets wet. Its why you dont want to be wearing it in colder weather.

If you live in a controlled environment, youre likely to have a different experience.

Most of the steel guns I carried, rusted at some point, and to varying levels, That includes stainless steel as well. The only thing Ive found that keeps the rust at bay, is hard chrome and Tennifer. My latter SIG's did well too.

Kydex holsters are a very big help too. Leather sucks in that respect.
Old October 22, 2015, 07:58 PM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a Frog Lube commercial
I used FL for a couple of years. I actually got a good bit of light rust on a gun I simply cleaned with it, and put in the safe, and it was only in there about a week when I noticed it. Which really surprised me. I wasnt even carrying it.

One thing I noticed towards the end of using it was, the formula seemed to have changed, and was a good bit more watery than the earlier bottles. Dont know if that had something to do with it or what.

The other issue I was getting was, things that sat even a short while, were starting to gum up. I recently came across this with a P1 I had cleaned (one of the last guns Id cleaned with it) and hadnt shot in awhile. The first couple of mags, the gun would not cycle, and had to be cleared each round. After it had warmed up a little, things started to move, and eventually the gun was running as it should.

The first I really noticed this was a problem, was with my revolvers, and the cylinders being very sluggish, even the ones I shot regularly. The ones I didnt, were very stiff.

The guns I shot and cleaned once or twice a week, werent to much of an issue as far as function goes. But they were constantly being used and cleaned, and didnt sit.
Old October 22, 2015, 08:50 PM   #18
rickyrick

I've worked outside for the last 25years. Very physical every environment imaginable

I must wear all cotton garments. In many instances FR rated in extreme temps
Old October 22, 2015, 09:49 PM   #19
AK103K

Quote:
I've worked outside for the last 25years. Very physical every environment imaginable
Then you know what Im referring to. Once the cotton gets wet, it stays wet.

Quote:
I must wear all cotton garments.
Ive worked on the gas pads and luckily, prior to the wells being in place, so we didnt have to wear the FR stuff.

Cotton sucks in the winter, and Im glad I dont have to wear it then. Once you heat up and start sweating, and then slow down/cool down, your damp/wet, and you get cold, and the cottons stays damp, just sucking the heat off you. Polyester layers with a windproof outer layer is so much better, and much warmer. Remove the windproof, and you cool right down and dry right out.

The summers were always the worst for my (non HC/Tennifer)guns/leather holsters. Once my clothes were soaked in sweat (usually early in the morning), the holsters were soon wet, and everything went downhill fast. The leather never got to dry out, even when rotating through a couple of holsters. Guns were always in a wet holster, day in, day out. Kydex is the better choice if you sweat.
Old October 22, 2015, 09:59 PM   #20
rickyrick

Polyester is a no no for me, not allowed. When a gun gets wet, I dry it. Sometimes without much thought.. That's really gonna be the key. I don't go a day without it, so it does get frequent, although maybe brief, attention. Sometimes I have to take it of for a couple of hours but it goes back on without a day missed.

On the other hand, if a gun isn't handled much, or put away for several days. it can go south quickly.
Granted if one gets soaked, it should be dried off.

If a person has a damp day, comes home and showers up, puts on fresh clothes, puts the gun back on, body heat would help dry it.
Mine stays on till bedtime.
When I have a bad morning and my jeans didn't dry and I put them on, they dry in a bit anyway due to body heat. Same kinda happens to a gun.
Old October 22, 2015, 10:04 PM   #21
rickyrick

Oh I rotate holsters, and they are all good leather, maybe that helps too.

All I know it none that I've carried have rusted....

But put one in the gun cabinet un-oiled in Washington state.... Oh boy, that's a whole other story
Old October 22, 2015, 10:23 PM   #22
AK103K

Quote:
When a gun gets wet, I dry it.
I do to, if I can. But thats usually at the end of a 12-14 hour day, and the gun is holstered and being worn the whole time. After I get home showered and eat, its right back on until bed.

Quote:
Oh I rotate holsters, and they are all good leather, maybe that helps too.
The last leather I was using regularly in the summer were a couple of Galco Royal Guards. I usually ended up buying a new one each year, scraping the worst of the two I was wearing every day. The one kydex I bought to replace them, lasted 10+ years of daily use, and I still have it, and its still as serviceable as the day I bought it.

I was using a Milt Sparks VMII in the winters for awhile the past 10-15 years or so, but not much anymore, as I made the switch to AIWB.

Quote:
But put one in the gun cabinet un-oiled in Washington state....
Not any different here, especially in the summers. This is where the right finishes make the biggest difference. Glocks Tennefer, hard chrome, etc, are pretty much impervious to things blued or parked guns rust at just thinking about it. Things likely to rust, do benefit from products like Eezox, which Ive had real good luck with, with guns not carried, but still exposed for long periods, like n vehicles and damp places.
Old October 23, 2015, 08:59 PM   #23
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by crust cruiser
I am in Oregon Moonglum, on the dry side, so basically desert.
I live in the high plains desert of Colorado so we're in the same neighborhood in different towns.

I rode a bike to and from work with an M&P Shield in my pocket for a couple of years and I got by with wiping it down every night and cleaning it every so often.

Tags
bike , corrosion , rust , snow , water