The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2011, 01:57 PM   #26
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lee Lapin and I must be blood kin.

Much as I like 870s, put another quality pump in my hands and effectiveness will be much the same.

Mindset, skillset, toolset, in that order.

Pick the one that feels best, add wear marks......
Old June 22, 2011, 12:07 AM   #27
Lee Lapin

I may have been mistaken when it comes to the Winchester pump being out of production currently. I see it listed at http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52704 and at http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...21c&mid=512252 .

IMHO that shotgun is well worth serious consideration also.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 22, 2011, 06:20 PM   #28
rgillis

My 930 SPX has thus far been a great addition to the family. I originally chose the traditional stock, but switched to Choate stock with grip. I found the grip helps me to pull the stock into my shoulder tighter and helps me position the gun better for loading.

Good luck in your search!
Old June 22, 2011, 06:32 PM   #29
Mrgunsngear

I have an 870 Marine Magnum and it has been 100%. I have used Mossberg 590's at work and they're fine (I would trust my life to them for what that's worth) but they just feel a little flimsy to me. My 870 feels like it will last hundreds of years without a hiccup.
Old June 23, 2011, 02:32 AM   #30
TheKlawMan

Lee Lapin, Whether that Winchester is a Winchester depends on definition, but I believe you will find it is manufactured in Turkey even if it bears the Winchester name.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:08 AM   #31
Lee Lapin

Didn't know they were making them in Turkey. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to learn that though. My only concern with the fact that it's made in Turkey would be factory parts and repair support for the next 30 years or so on the off chance something broke (and if I were younger, I'd be worried about more decades than just three). It gets really tiresome not being able to get parts you need to fix something. I hate to see any product appear, disappear, then reappear from a different manufacturer (in the case of the 1300, as an FN product), disappear again, then reappear again back under its original name but from a different source. All those gyrations don't give me a great deal of confidence for parts or factory repair support.

Sorry, but that's one of the reasons I prefer 870s. With over ten million of them out there, and with the line still in production, finding another 870, whatever parts/accessories I need and someone to do repairs/alterations I can't manage on my own is not likely to ever be a problem in my lifetime.

lpl
====

The 1300 was made in the New Haven, Conn., Winchester plant until it closed in January 2006. At the time, Winchester management agreed with the union not to make the 1300 for three years. Winchester re-engineered the gun, renamed it, and found a Turkish vendor to produce it. Those guns are coming into the country now in 3-inch, 12-gauge, both as an 18-inch, cylinder-bored Defender model and a field gun with a 26- or 28-inch barrel. My test gun was a field model with a 28-inch barrel.

The SXP is not a Turkish-designed gun with an American brand. It’s a gun made to Winchester’s specifications in Turkey. The new gun combines the lines of the popular Super X3 semi-auto, the old fast-pumping action, and several significant improvements over the old model. Says Glenn Hatt, Winchester product manager: “This gun will function better than any 1300 ever made.”
-- http://www.americanhunter.org/articl...-super-x-pump/

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:23 AM   #32
Skadoosh

I prefer the Mossberg over the Remington. The Mossberg tang safety is truly ambidextrous and I like the Mossberg system because there's no elevator to push through when loading and unloading tactically.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:24 PM   #33
Gehrhard

What are you worried about? A WINCHESTER would, could, never go out of business!

As Lee's post touches upon, Winchester was broken by, and broke, its union. They will continue to come back in bits and pieces now that they can afford to make a better product, more efficiently, and ship it a third of the way around the earth for less money by some guys who want to work carefully. Unfortunately overseas.

Only in the U.S. could we even refer to a poor line of guns such as "union Colt's."

Last edited by Gehrhard; June 23, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:03 PM   #34
debbert

I use a TriStar Cobra Force pump shotgun with tactical grip and red dot scope. In the event that my Red Dot fails, I can still see the ghost ring sights through the Red Dot lens.

It hangs on a bolted wall mount and I run a steel cable through the trigger guard when I leave the house, or when I have company. Here are some pics:

Old June 25, 2011, 09:06 PM   #35
jackblack73

Quote:
hogdogs makes some great points about position of controls. I prefer the 870 because I am left handed and it feels like it was made for left handed shooters to me. Mossberg makes a fine product that many prefer to the 870 (heard many arguements over which is best) Bottom line handle both and if you can shoot both and you will know which you prefer. Be sure to post a photo of your new 870 when you get it lol
Just curious, but why would the 870 feel like it was made for left handers? I would think the safety on the 870 would be awkward for left handers. Usually a left hander would feel more comfortable with the Mossberg's safety.
Old June 27, 2011, 01:14 PM   #36
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not necessarily,Jack. While I usually shoot my 870s RH, I can operate them very well from the port side.

I've big hands. A slight twist of the wrist means I can take the safety off with my thumb. I can reach the slide release with my trigger finger without breaking my grip. Can't do that RH.

Less endowed shotgunners may have probs, but I don't and I'm sure many others are the same way.
Old October 4, 2012, 03:15 PM   #37
epwrangler

It may be old but my Mossy 500 broke at the barrel nut. I am not the first one to have had this happen to a barrel. It is why I trust my 870 more.

Tags
long gun , shotgun