The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2019, 10:57 PM   #1
jspappap

Kirst Conversion

I am thinking about getting a 45 Kirst Conversion for my 1858 44 New Army Target . Any advice as to where / when to get it and any pros n cons you want to share would be appreciated
Old March 18, 2019, 10:16 AM   #2
noelf2

Why Kirst? Are you wanting a loading gate type?
Old March 18, 2019, 10:32 PM   #3
jspappap

Yes I thought they looked like an interesting way to go.
Old March 18, 2019, 11:49 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have one 1858 with a Howell's conversion and one with the Kirst. Both are excellent in fit, finish, and function. That said, it's a slight nuisance to have to remove the Howell's cylinder every time I want to reload. The Kirst, with the loading gate, is more convenient and allows you to do more shooting and less fiddling.
Old March 19, 2019, 05:11 AM   #5
drobs

You might contact this gentlemen:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com

He advertises that he has the best prices on Kirst conversion cylinders on his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/cartridgeconversion/?ref=br_rs

However, I haven't seen any prices from him. If I was in the market I'd see what he has to offer. Figure you can buy direct from Kirst so any discount would be a cost savings.

He also offers fitting and tuning of the cylinders plus cutting the loading port. Prices for those services seem pretty fair on his website.
Old March 19, 2019, 04:14 PM   #6
arcticap

I remember him.
That's hoofhearted who is a TFL member.
He was more active on THR.
He had some kind of a connection with Kirst and was able to obtain discounts on their conversions.
He was one of the 1st to announce that Kirst was going to come out with a .22lr conversion.
Old March 20, 2019, 08:40 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

I have a Howell in 45 Colt for my Remington evolving carbine. Simple in and out.

If you go with a first - isn't the First recoil shield permanently installed (screwed) to the recoil shield of the revolver? If alll you are going to do is shoot cartridge out of the revolver - then the conventence of a loading gate is a plus - if you want to be able to switch back and forth between cartridge and percussion though - I'd gp wot a Howell. They work very well and are fairly quick to reload. I bought my Howell from Taylor's - slipped right in and works perfectly. Good luck whichever wa you go!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 20, 2019, 08:50 PM   #8
Bishop Creek

Some here are under the impression that Kirst only makes a gated conversion cylinder. Not true, he also makes a drop in version, called the "Pale Rider" with no gate that simply drops in and out like the Taylors version. I've had one of these for nearly 20 years now and it still works like the day it was new.

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/kirs...nassembly.aspx
Old March 20, 2019, 10:32 PM   #9
drobs

I too have a Kirst Pale Rider Conversion for my 1858 Remington. That was Kirst's First design. You can cut a the plate and recoil shield to make an open loading gate.

Howell makes a conversion for open top colts that is screwed to the recoil shield.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...t-6-round-blue
Old March 21, 2019, 09:26 PM   #10
ClemBert

I have a R&D Howell .45 Colt cylinder for my ROA. I went with it over the Kirst because I felt the Kirst with the flat bottom ring would be more complicated to install than the R&D which just rolls into place. whereas the Kirst you have to make sure the flat side goes in facing the bottom.

For my Walker I have a Kirst .45 Colt cylinder with a loading gate. It required grinding out the recoil shield so you can breech load but it made sense to go with Kirst on this one because you install it and don't remove it to reload.