The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2011, 11:52 AM   #1
4T4MAG

Unstamped shells

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy shells that either do not have a head stamp or just stamped with the cal.?
Old February 19, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2
PawPaw

Sure! Almost anything is possible. The question is: is it economical? I'd bet that you could have a headstamp with your initials if you were willing to buy a lot of 10,000.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 19, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
wncchester

"...if it is possible to buy shells that either do not have a head stamp .."

Do you mean "shells", as in shotshells, or cases, as in metallic? Anyway, as mentioned above, only if you're willing to pay for a production run, no one makes unmarked cases for common retail purchasers.
Old February 19, 2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Woody3

Why would you want to do this? Am I missing something?
Old February 19, 2011, 08:03 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Sure! Almost anything is possible. The question is: is it economical? I'd bet that you could have a headstamp with your initials if you were willing to buy a lot of 10,000.
precisely

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 19, 2011, 08:15 PM   #6
PawPaw

This thread struck an interest and I found some custom brass makers that will put a custom headstamp on a cartridge.

Like this guy LINKY

Or these guys LINKY

I understand that Starline will do a custom headstamp if you order 100K cases. They do headstamps for MidwayUSA.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 19, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
chiefr

The only source I could halfway suggest would be for you to contact Quality Cartridge Co and see what they can do for you.
Old February 20, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Wondering?

I wonder if one were to propose by handing the perspective spouse a case of rounds labeled “Marry me?” would the proposal be successful or go up in smoke?
Old February 20, 2011, 03:20 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

My experience is only with Quality Cartridge, but...
The more complex the engineering / tooling for a cartridge, the more expensive it will be, and the larger the minimum order will be.
Allowing QC to have the 'rights' to continue producing brass for your wildcat brings the cost down. (If you want it to be a 'proprietary' case, you're going to pay for it.)
Keeping the Quality Cartridge name on the case head means for a huge money savings.
If you can't wait for them to 'slip you in' between larger production runs, you will have to pay for it.

Some people find the above to be offensive, and don't understand it. But, I see it as standard business practice (you could apply all of the same ideas to a custom car interior fabricator, or specialty cake decorating shop).

If it is a really simple change, such as only a head stamp on a common cartridge - plan to pay a minimum of $1200, and more than $1/case for a minimum order. If that head stamp change includes removing the manufacturer's name - plan to triple or quadruple the price.
However, going bigger than a minimum order is where you get into pricing that seems more reasonable. (There's a reason they call it a "minimum" order.)
Old February 21, 2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

if you are not interested in any head stamp, you could obliterate te existing head stamps ( my local machinist chucks cases in his lathe & uses a knurling tool or ??? to "X" out the existing 444 Marlin head stamps for my shot shells )

hard to get a good pic of shiney brass with my camera butt...

Old February 21, 2011, 10:20 AM   #11
4T4MAG

Mag Wheel, when using a lathe, does that thin out the head too much in any way that would weaken the brass?

I have never used Quality Cart before. Do they make good brass?
Old February 21, 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

no... the knurling is only as deep as the original headstamp... it should not weaken the brass at all... he's done this for several reformed cases...
Old February 21, 2011, 10:24 AM   #13
4T4MAG

Would it bee too deep for re-stamping?
Old February 21, 2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

I would doubt it... but might be hard to read unless they flatten out after shooting a couple times ( these are the 1st I've gotten from him ) he said they normally flatten out some after firing, but at the lower pressures that shot shells use ( I'm duplicating .410 loads in them ), I'm not seeing any flattening of the knurling after one firing anyway
Old February 21, 2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Uncle Buck

I recently received my custom head-stamped brass from Rocky mountain Cartridge (Email [email protected]).

The brass has a head-stamp that reads "BUCK 45 LONG COLT" and cost me $80.00 for 40 rounds (Included shipping and a plastic cartridge box). There was a few months wait for them, but they are well worth it!

Other companies that I contacted either did not responds or wanted a minimum of 100K order.

I am happy with the product that Rocky Mountain sent me.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:50 PM   #16
bamacisa

I have a few 38 Special cases that have the caliber only stamped on the case. I found them among my range pick up brass.. don't know where they came from. I have heard that the government made some unmarked cases for covert ops.
Old February 26, 2011, 01:47 AM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...for covert ops..." Only Mack Bolan can get those.
Old February 26, 2011, 03:37 AM   #18
BigBob3006

4T4MAG,

I understand that some special runs of American manufactured ammo came without any markings. It is possible that some of this ammo made it back home. I've been told that the debriefing of the involved personal was very stringent. Of course strange things have happened. I have government issued box of national match ammo that not only doesn't have head stamping, it
doesn't even have a primer pocket. Talk about weird. This came my way when I was shooting for Camp Lejeune.