The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 15, 2002, 08:18 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Colt Agent/Year Made?

Hello. I posted this in the "revolver" section before remembering that this might be the more appropriate place.

Today, I finally got hold of an old Colt Agent. It's ser #: 245XXX.
Can anyone give the year in which it was made? Or direct me to where I might find such?

Any help appreciated greatly.

Best and thanks in advance.

PS: I also noted a Colt revolver that looked just like this Police Positive.

Does anyone know what, if any difference there is in this Police Positive and the other gun, which was marked "Viper?"

Thanks again.
Old June 16, 2002, 12:29 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Stephen, I believe your Colt Agent was manufactured in 1968. The Colt Viper was similar to the Police Positive Special - Fourth Issue except the Viper used an alloy frame and the Police Positive used a steel frame. The Viper Model was only made in 1977. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old June 16, 2002, 07:54 AM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, Mr. Mace. Thanks, I really, really appreciate the information.

Best.
Old June 18, 2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Good for You, Steve - - -

Glad you found one, and it looks like a really nice example.

Not to contest Mr. Mace, but the table in the Southerland & Wilson Book of Colt Firearms shows the 245,000 series beginning in 1967, and the first one booked in 1968 as 245,700-LW.

Couple of notes from same source--
In 1966, beginning with S/N 200101-LW, they used a shorter frame, with a small overlap of the wood stocks at the bottom. I have the older model, which, I believe, was made in 1965, first year of production. There's an illustration of an early ad showing the price as $71.50. I think it was up to $84 or $86 by 1968.

Same book notes that the Agent was probably the Colt with fewest options of any modern model: ONLY two-inch barrel, blue finish, caliber .38 Special.

Some years later, there was an offering of two-inch Colts with shrouded ejector rods, with what appeared to be a Parkerized finish and unchecked stocks. The fitting of the side plate was rather poor, and the action felt gritty. The alloy frame version was called the Agent, but it was not even in the same class as your nifty little revolver. There was also a steel frame version, which they called the Commando--NOT to be confused with the WW-II version of the Official Police by the same name. I believe Colt made a serious merchandising error by calling these de-tuned revos by those names.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 18, 2002, 09:58 AM   #5
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, my good friend. Thanks for the information. It's a keeper and it'll be treated the way you do yours; standard to lighter loads for shooting and while I originally considered 125 gr Nyclads in this one, when I do carry it, it'll likely be with Remington 158 gr +P LSWC.

Not getting rid of any J-frames, but I do like this little thing.

Best.