The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 22, 2020, 12:07 AM   #1
mendozer

Brand preference for safe locks, electronic

I'm thinking of switching a dial lock to electronic. Any opinions on brands like Amsec, S&G, Lagard, etc. Most of these group 1 locks are 100-150 bucks with the keypad and lock so it's not breaking the bank. Looking to see if you have inside information as why one brand may be better.
Old November 27, 2020, 12:58 PM   #2
ballisticxlr

The whole idea of electronic safe locks is just asking for trouble IMHO. Search Google for "electronic safe battery died" and see how many times the next sentence is something like "The manufacturer said to call a locksmith."

Mechanical locks don't have batteries burst, they don't go bing just do mess up your day, they don't ask for trouble.
Old November 27, 2020, 08:29 PM   #3
mendozer

I was under the impression that the newer locks don't fail the same way. Once the battery dies, you can take off the cover and pop in a new one and open it right up.
Old November 27, 2020, 08:38 PM   #4
kenny53

I have both key pad and a dial. Both key pad safes have a key option just in case. You just have to remember where you put the key if you ever need it. You could change the safe battery the same time you change the battery for the smoke detector.
Old November 27, 2020, 08:48 PM   #5
mendozer

what brand do you have with the key as well? I saw Omega makes one
Old November 27, 2020, 09:39 PM   #6
FITASC

My electronic S&G lock quit. Liberty is sending the locksmith a new mechanical dial in lieu of another electronic at my request. Electronics are faster, but they also fail a lot more often.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 27, 2020, 11:53 PM   #7
mendozer

Did something other than the circuit board fail then? All I read about is replacing the front if circuitry fails. Also I was thinking about direct drive so there's no motor to fail.
Old November 28, 2020, 09:23 AM   #8
PolarFBear

My first safe was a high end Cannon. It had an old fashioned manual "safe" dial. It also had a key for "day" use. Never understood the "key" mode. It was a little slow to open but it DID open. Current safe is a low end Cannon with the S&G electronic touch pad. NOT NEARLY AS GOOD. It could be that I just have a cheap safe. But, I have to try several times to get the touch pad open. I have changed the batteries wthout issue. Next safe WILL have the old fashioned tumbler lock.
Old November 28, 2020, 11:06 AM   #9
kenny53

All my safes are Stack On. Not their sheet metal cabinets but a fairly heavy steel plate.
Old November 28, 2020, 03:10 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
Did something other than the circuit board fail then? All I read about is replacing the front if circuitry fails. Also I was thinking about direct drive so there's no motor to fail.
They couldn't determine it; changed the battery, the locking ring on the direct drive wouldn't keep the dial locked; the bolts would close but turning the ring without needing the combination means the safe is basically unlocked
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 28, 2020, 10:38 PM   #11
ocharry

No electric locks for me...to many horror stories about being locked out....my girl friends sister just went through it.....3 weeks waiting on a new lock...not sure if they got it

If a lock smith has to drill the safe to get it open...well its just a steel box from there

I have 3 safes ..they all have mechanical locks

For you guys that have electric locks...good luck...my guess is its just a matter of time

On the bright side...you can change the electric lock to mechanical pretty easy

My .02
Ocharry
Old November 29, 2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Ricklin

No issues

I have an S+G electronic lock on my safe for around 15 years now, no issues.

I change the battery every 2-3 years just because.