The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 27, 2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Risasi

Mossberg 835 - Alternative Stocks

Hi all,

I know this will probably not get a lot of response...I've got a Mossberg 835 that I've had for oh, I don't know...when I bought it I think W was president but Cheney still hadn't shot anybody.

Anyway, it's a dual purpose shotgun with the overbored Ulti-Mag barrel. I use it for waterfowl and upland game birds, and clays. One of these days I want to get some gobblers too.
I bought another 24" barrel with Williams rifle sights and a cylinder bore, so I can use it for rifled slugs for deer, coyotes, and bumps in the night.

This past year I had to rebuild it after a buddy borrowed it and messed up the action arm and shell stopper, so I bought a new forearm from Mossberg, but the action arms are pinned to this plastic forearm. Not cool. I finally found a new action arm assembly like the original, that is 6 1/2 - 6 5/8" from Brownells last night and ordered it in, I figure I'll use the old forearm for now.

But I'm looking to reduce the length of pull. It still has the original synthetic stock on it and the LOP is 14+". I was looking at the Hogue overmolded stock, and also the Magpul SGA. The problem is it looks like some "modifications" might need to be made? Has anyone who owns a Mossberg 835 put on an aftermarket stock? Any other aftermarket stocks you have to suggest? I'm not crazy about the pistol grips like ATI has, BTW.
Old March 27, 2018, 12:06 PM   #2
FITASC

How tall are you that 14" is too long? The average guy @5-10 typically uses closer to a 14-1/2" stock
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Since he mentions Turkey hunting I have a feeling he wants something shorter that he can shoot sitting/crouching on the ground.
Old March 27, 2018, 02:23 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Reducing the LOP isn't difficult. You do need to know how long you need it though. Put a yard stick into your elbow and grasp it with your hand. Where your trigger finger is on the stick is your LOP. Shouldering the yard stick like you would a rifle and looking where your trigger finger comes does the same thing.
Any Mossberg M500 590/590A1 or Maverick stock will fit an 835 with no fuss.
Mossberg sells a walnut butt stock only with an adjustable comb for $80 that you can remove the recoil pad from, cut it to the LOP you need(use a mitre box or mitre saw and allow for the thickness of the recoil pad) and put the pad back on. Easier to do than type.
Mossberg stocks are waaaay cheaper at Gunparts though. A new butt stock with a butt plate that's in desperate need of refinishing, runs $15.70. Recoil pads aren't hard to install, but you can have a wood stock with one on it for $20.95.
A new wood double bar type, ribbed, oil finish fore stock is $21.95. Needs some TLC too though. That's easy too. Oil finishes get a bit of sanding, the dent steamed out and more oil.
"...How tall are you..." LOP is about one's arms.
Old March 27, 2018, 06:29 PM   #5
FITASC

There is a LOT more to a good fit than LOP - cast, DAH, DAC, pitch, toe in or out, thickness of the comb, etc.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Risasi

Blindstitch is on target, a shorter stock just fits me a little better. Especially for follow up shots. And that is what I’m more concerned about, faster follow up shots, shooting w/ heavy clothing, and from weird angles. The 835 also has a longer pump stroke too since it takes 3.5” shells.

And FWIW I’m shorter at 5’ 6” (on a good day). But I have monkey arms with a reach of someone about 5’ 10”.
Old April 2, 2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Risasi

Well, I’ve thrown caution to the wind and just cut the current synthetic stock. Now with the pad on it’s a 13” LOP. The pad is oversized but I knew that would happen.

I will test fire it first and if it points well I will order one of those pads which can be shaped. If it don’t like it I’m going to look into fitting a Magpul SGA. Three guys in the review section on MidwayUSA claim to have done so with the Mossy 835
Old April 4, 2018, 02:45 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...The pad is oversized..." Got or have access to a bench sander? Masking tape on the stock and carefully sand the pad to size. Eye protection is mandatory. Same method is used with a wood stock.
"...cut the current synthetic stock..." Works just fine if the stock is solid. Not all synthetics are.