The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2021, 01:19 PM   #76
stinkeypete

Glock 19 is the Toyota Camry of midsize 9mm semi autos.

Competent, reliable, completely adequate in every way? Aftermarket parts? Wildly resealable on the used market? Yep.

Can you really go wrong with a g19? Not really.

Can you get something more specialized for your tastes for less money? Maybe. Probably.
Read post No. 68 for an excellent summary of midsize 9mm semi autos.

If doing all that research and shopping seems like a chore instead of a fun aspect of our hobby and you just want a gun, get the Glock 19 and be done with it.

I was looking at a G19 and went with a Bersa Thunder in .380 but that’s just me and my preferences. I’m glad I did as my only attraction to 9mm was the low cost of ammo and that’s temporarily a moot point.

Last edited by stinkeypete; January 22, 2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 22, 2021, 04:44 PM   #77
Alan0354

My experience is every single semi auto I bought before needed work to make it reliable. I never have one that was reliable out of the box. The Gold Cup, S&W659, Walter PPKS, all had to be fixed by modifying the extractor, polish feedramp and chamber and open the ejector port slightly and smooth the surface out. Maybe guns have improved since my time.

Thanks for all the replies, I am checking with the dealer whether the Glock 19 is gen 3. My understanding is they only sell gen 3 in Kalifornia.

I did see stuffs saying gen 3 is better than gen 4 and they replace the ejector and extractor of gen 4 with those in gen 3.

If I have to get a gen 4, what after market ejector and extractor should I get?

One thing good about Glock, there are a lot of info how to make it reliable and improve it.

Thanks

Last edited by Alan0354; January 22, 2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old January 22, 2021, 04:57 PM   #78
AK103K

Just get the gun and shoot it. I seriously doubt youll have any problems. The problems usually come in when people start trying to "improve" the guns.

I wouldnt change anything but the RSA, if youre even shooting it enough to do that each year (5-7K or so).

Combined, Ive had right around 40 SIG's and Glocks, new and used, and I have yet to have one not work out of the box, or when I got it, nor have they really given me any troubles, at least, not in the range "most" people will likely ever shoot them.

When you get up into the ranges where things will start to go, youve already spent enough in ammo to have bought a dozen more new guns anyway, so theres really no point in complaining.
Old January 22, 2021, 06:24 PM   #79
Ignition Override

buddyd157:
My CZ PCR (75D) was manufactured in the Czech Republic, and out of several hundreds of rounds, all have had a perfect operation.

About 1/3 or more of the ammo is Russian, which was probably the basic type of ammo for the gun's design years ago.

Some peoples' issue with "steel-cased" ammo is not because of the ammo itself--but due to their lack of awareness that residue must be cleaned from chambers, before it accumulates very much. Can't be good for extraction.
They don't Seem to know that residue goes Around the rigid steel case, unlike what happens with brass, which expands, blocking some of the build-up.

You probably are quite familiar, but other readers might Not know this.
Old January 22, 2021, 06:46 PM   #80
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Meanwhile Glock has been floundering and churning out new "generations" to try and stay relevant, often failing (laughably) in the process.
I can give you a list of problems with Glock and Glocks--I'm not under any illusions that the company or the pistols can't be improved, but I think that this is an obvious overstatement.

The Gen 3 pistols are still selling ok even though you can get Gen 4 pistols and even Gen5 pistols in some calibers/models. And although they've obviously given up some market share, it's a real stretch to say that there is (or has been) any real danger of them losing "relevance" in the market.
Old January 23, 2021, 02:39 AM   #81
Alan0354

Hi guys, The store I talked to has the glock 19 gen 3 for $660. I am seriously thinking about getting it. I did watched video saying that gen 3 is better than gen 4 and they have to change the ejector of the gen 4 to gen 3.

Tell me if this is a good choice. I have to make appointment because of the covid 19. They said they have an opening at 2pm tomorrow.

I asked them whether they carry Glock 26 also. Hope they have it so I can compare.

Thanks
Old January 23, 2021, 06:23 AM   #82
rc

My CZ 85 had a couple of hickups on weak white box ammo but has otherwise been flawless. My CZ P01 has yet to jam since new. Not once on reloads or factory! The decocker was stiff but has broken in nicely and works very well. I've come to prefer it to a manual safety. If you want a Glock 19 to try by all means get one. If you are just looking for the best compact 9mm in that class there are better guns. CZs have conventional barrels that can shoot lead fine. They have ramped barrels with good chamber support. They have the slide inside the frame rails instead of outside that contribute to some of the best accuracy of any pistol. The only down side of a CZ is less grasping area but I use the slide stop during reloads so it's no big deal to me. The stop is big and where it needs to be. The grip and slide stop on a CZ beats a Glock all day every day for ergonomics. A Glock is German but it ain't no Luger in the hand. CZ took the proven and loved Browning Hi Power grip and extended it a bit to hold 15 rounds keeping the same general shape in the hand.
Old January 23, 2021, 07:21 AM   #83
AK103K

The only real way to know whats best for you, is for "you" to actually try as many different guns as you can, and spend a good bit of quality time with each one so you can actually learn it. There is no other way that I know of, short of somehow morphing into the Matrix and getting a download on your phone, and even then you'd likely be lacking.

If all you know is one gun or type, then thats all you know, and you really dont know much.

CZ makes good guns, for the most part. Some of their models have become somewhat dated, and apparently, Glock has made enough of an impression on them that they came out with their own, very close copy of the Glocks with their P10 series, so I think that says something.

Just an FYI on a couple of things here too....

You can shoot lead in Glock factory barrels, a lot of people do, and with no problems.

Oh, and Österreich has not been a part of Germany since the end of WWII. Glocks are not made in Germany.

And no matter what the gun is, or who makes it, if you have yet to have a stoppage or failure with it, youre not shooting it enough.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:01 AM   #84
TunnelRat

Thinking about a Glock19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post

And no matter what the gun is, or who makes it, if you have yet to have a stoppage or failure with it, youre not shooting it enough.
I have pistols that have gone close to 9000 rds without a stoppage. Now I know you have pistols with many more rounds than that and if you’d like me to shoot it more I can pm you my address so you can send me some more cases of 9mm, especially these days . In seriousness though if you’re shooting quality ammunition in a well maintained firearm it’s very possible to not have a stoppage even with a decent round count, at least in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 23, 2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:41 AM   #85
AK103K

From personal experience over a few decades and literally tons of rounds of all sorts and calibers, I really have a hard time believing people when they say they've NEVER had a stoppage or problem, and thats with ANY gun. And that just becomes more of a problem as the round counts increase. Im thinking that they are probably just misremembering.

If you shoot enough, regardless of what the gun is, or the ammo is, sooner or later, you WILL have a stoppage or failure of some type.

Stoppages arent always ammo related either. We can cause them to happen, the gun can cause them to happen, all manner of silly and stupid things can cause them to happen.

Yes, maintaining your guns is a mandatory thing to do, at least to me it is. And Im always amazed at the number of people who claim they never clean and maintain their guns and still NEVER have any problems. Yea, OK.

Yes, good factory ammo is a good idea, if you can afford it. I dont know many who shoot a lot, that only use factory ammo, unless they are being sponsored by someone or just have a lot of money. From what Ive seen, "most" people really dont shoot all that much and "a lot" here is perception. 500 rounds a month vs 500 rounds a week is a bit of a difference. How many actually shoot 500 rounds a month every month?

Most people I know who shoot a lot, are shooting reloads or commercially remanufactured ammo.

Most of that ammo is usually pretty decent too, but with reloads, the more the brass is reloaded, the more likely you will have some sort of failure, as the brass starts to wear. Personally, I look at that as a plus, as it lets you practice more realistic stoppage drills, as they happen randomly, and without warning.

Dead primers are a fairly common cause of failure too, and probably the most common Ive seen with new factory ammo.

Improperly seated bullets is another fairly common problem Ive seen with factory and reloaded ammo that can also tie up a gun, and sometimes to the point that youre DRT because of it. They can lock the gun up tight and you cant even do a TRB.

Stoppages are just part of shooting too, and something that should be practiced regularly, even if you have to set them up. When one happens, you should just clear it without thinking about it and move on.

The last thing you want to do when it does happen is what you often see when someone who has one, they stand there with a stupid look on their face, looking at their dead gun wondering why its not working.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:55 AM   #86
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
From personal experience over a few decades and literally tons of rounds of all sorts and calibers, I really have a hard time believing people when they say they've NEVER had a stoppage or problem, and thats with ANY gun. And that just becomes more of a problem as the round counts increase. Im thinking that they are probably just misremembering.
Or never really paid attention in the first place.

I had a malfunction once and cleared it without even thinking about it. Another person was watching me shoot and stopped me and asked about the malfunction--it was weird because my initial response was "What malfunction?"

Even perfect guns can have malfunctions. I've seen one malfunction where one shooter's empty shell flew right into the open chamber of the shooter's gun next to him while the gun was in the process of cycling.

With enough rounds downrange, the odds are likely to catch up and there will be a malfunction. A little bit of fouling in just the right spot in the extractor, a round that's just a little out of spec, hand positioning that bumps a control, not getting a magazine fully seated (done that once or twice), etc., etc.

Another aspect of this issue is that people often tend to mentally dismiss malfunctions. That was the ammo not the gun, my grip was bad it wasn't the gun, it's still during break-in period, it's really dirty, it has too much oil on it, it has not enough oil on it, that wasn't a malfunction it was just a normal wear item that failed and needed to be replaced, etc., etc. I have shot at a couple of 1000 round reliability matches and it's interesting to see people try to explain away malfunctions that occurred even while everyone was watching.

Just to be clear, I'm not calling anyone a liar, nor saying that it's impossible for a gun to get to a high round count without any malfunctions--I'm just saying it's not nearly as common as it might appear.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:02 AM   #87
TunnelRat

Thinking about a Glock19

You’re welcome to not believe it. I keep a spreadsheet with round counts for each pistol to the round. I also record at what round count and date I cleaned the pistol. In that spreadsheet I record any malfunctions.

All I shoot is factory ammunition. Before the pandemic I shot this at a rate of 800-1000 rd a month (when it comes to 9mm). I have more money than time.

Not having malfunctions doesn’t mean a person doesn’t practice malfunction clearances. That’s why I mix snap caps into my magazines. I don’t consider clearing a deliberately induced malfunction a stoppage.

None of this is me saying stoppage don’t or won’t happen. I have had stoppages (more with some firearms than others). My point is simply it is possible to reach higher round counts without a malfunction. My experience has been a pistol that has repeated malfunctions with factory ammunition likely needs maintenance. It’s also why when I read people encounter repeated malfunctions but never contact the manufacturer I always advise they do so. Malfunctions can happen, but I’ve seen people accept them rather than make a manufacturer stand behind their products (especially newer firearms). Sometimes this happens to newer shooters that just assume it’s their fault. It may be their fault, but not always.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 23, 2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:07 AM   #88
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I don’t consider clearing a deliberately induced malfunction a stoppage.
Agreed.

And again, I'm not saying that anyone is lying nor even that your specific report is in error. Just that it's been my experience that guns malfunction a lot more in person than on the internet.

Not even because people intentionally misrepresent things, just because it's really easy to forget things or not to really even take note of them in the first place. People get focused on shooting and can easily let things pass without really making a mental note to remember them.

There's a loosely related anecdote I tell from time to time about how shooters can forget things--even things that are very memorable. I once saw a hog hunting video shot with a gun mounted camera. There were a number of hogs and more than one shooter, so after the first shot was fired, things got a little wild. After the dust (and the hogs) had cleared, the shooter with the video camera mentioned that he had only shot once. Which was kind of a surprise. Not only had he shot twice, he had killed a hog with each shot.
Old January 23, 2021, 09:15 AM   #89
TunnelRat

Thinking about a Glock19

And again, I’m not saying that firearms don’t malfunction. I’m simply saying that in my experience a person can go quite a few rounds without a stoppage. I’m not saying that’s the norm either, just that the adage of, “You’re not shooting enough if you don’t have a malfunction,” doesn’t always hold true in my experience.

Old January 23, 2021, 10:10 AM   #90
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
it's a real stretch to say that there is (or has been) any real danger of them losing "relevance" in the market.
Except thats isn't what I stated
I said they have been doing things to try and stay relevant, there is a difference
The fact remains that Glock has seen declining sales and market share for years
They have had a number of recent down years but 2017 was their worst with sales down 36%

They have also been slowly losing their foothold of the LE market as well
Price had been their biggest advantage by undercutting competition
But the QC issues of recent years and competitors now offering a better product at similar/less price has been hurting them

Twenty years ago Glock took up major portions of the cases in gun stores
Today they are seeing less and less shelf space and often hard to notice among the crowd
The bottom line is that they are trying to stay relevant in an ever growing market
Old January 23, 2021, 10:53 AM   #91
TunnelRat

Thinking about a Glock19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
Except thats isn't what I stated
I said they have been doing things to try and stay relevant, there is a difference
The fact remains that Glock has seen declining sales and market share for years
They have had a number of recent down years but 2017 was their worst with sales down 36%

They have also been slowly losing their foothold of the LE market as well
Price had been their biggest advantage by undercutting competition
But the QC issues of recent years and competitors now offering a better product at similar/less price has been hurting them

Twenty years ago Glock took up major portions of the cases in gun stores
Today they are seeing less and less shelf space and often hard to notice among the crowd
The bottom line is that they are trying to stay relevant in an ever growing market

While I agree with you to an extent, of 4 stores near me all of them are currently sold out of Glocks or have maybe one model that comes in stock every so often. You can still get M&Ps, VP9s, FN 509s, etc. You’re absolutely right that there is a LOT of competition these days and that does have an impact. Glock is still very recognizable and they still do very well sale wise. The Glock 19X was very successful despite being a pistol from a competition that Glock lost and that fills sort of an odd niche. Now you might say that’s just because all the Glock fanboys went and bought one, and that’s probably true. The thing is there are a lot of those fanboys. Will that keep Glock alive forever? It might not, but there are a number of companies that would kill to have Glock’s market share. Glock could stay afloat for a long time even just off of those current fans.

Old January 23, 2021, 10:59 AM   #92
cslinger

Assuming it fits you and YOU like it, then yes it’s a very good choice. Price is a little high but given where we are at not astronomically so.

The Gen 3 Glock 19 is a phenomenal gun pound for pound. I’m not saying it’s the ONLY choice just saying it’s certainly a good choice.
Old January 23, 2021, 11:44 AM   #93
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Hi guys, The store I talked to has the glock 19 gen 3 for $660. I am seriously thinking about getting it. I did watched video saying that gen 3 is better than gen 4 and they have to change the ejector of the gen 4 to gen 3.

Tell me if this is a good choice. I have to make appointment because of the covid 19. They said they have an opening at 2pm tomorrow.

I asked them whether they carry Glock 26 also. Hope they have it so I can compare.

Thanks
Go to the appointment and compare the two, if possible. For that matter, if you can handle a few of the guns that others in this thread have mentioned, that would be worth your while. My take on the reliability issue is that Glock was really in a league of its own 30+ years ago (crud, am I really that old?!?), but other manufacturers have caught up to them. There are tons of durable, reliable, 9mm pistols on the market. All you have to do is decide which one's for you.

Given the state of gun sales right now (huge demand), and the fact that you live in CA, I'd say the price is high, but not unreasonably, price-gouging kind of high. (Not that I have ever shopped for a gun in CA, I'm just guessing that prices generally are higher than they are here.)

Is Gen 3 better than 4? Or 5? I don't know. I had a Gen 4 and liked it just fine. Lots of guns on these boards swear by Gen 3. If it fits your hand, I wouldn't worry too much about which internet Glock Guru likes which generation more. If you decide you want a Gen 4 (and can get one in CA), then you can get one later. And you'll have the Gen 3 to tide you over while you shop around.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:25 PM   #94
Sigkid79

I purchased a G19 Gen 5 last year due to what I’ve read online and all of the great reviews. Is it a great shooting gun? Yes. Ultimately it was not the gun for me. Reason? It’s not an ideal conceal carry. Why? Living in FL where 9-10 months out of the year you’re primarily in a t-shirt and shorts, its quite large to conceal. I sold it and purchased a much more concealable gun that’s holds 11 rounds. A Sig P365 which replaced my Ruger LC9s that I gave to my wife.

Now there a many here to feel that unless it holds 100000 rounds and must be a full size with a 10” barrel otherwise its not a worthy gun.

Can you conceal carry a G19? Sure, depending on your daily attire. Personally I think it serves better as a home defense weapon.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:28 PM   #95
Radny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95 View Post
Glocks are good pistols, but some folks think there are better alternatives in the plastic fantastic world.

Take a look at the S&W M&P pistols. They are more ergonomic (fit the hand better) and have some other advantages. The S&W can be had with or without a thumb safety. That's not an option with the Glock.

The Glock 19 equivalent would be the 4.0" M&P9 2.0 Compact. The S&Ws are equally as reliable as the Glocks. You should not need to polish the feed ramps on either of these guns. They both run reliably right out of the box.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-compact

A good criteria for picking your next gun is to get your hands on them and see which feels the best to you.

BTW, I have both a G19 and a S&W M&P9 (several, in fact). I love the S&W. I don't like the Glock. But that's my personal preference.

While heartedly agree.
Also i would look into the CZ P-01

Old January 23, 2021, 12:36 PM   #96
AK103K

I think a lot of the mentality on carrying and what you carry is in people's heads, and somewhat on what they may be willing, or not willing to do.

Ive always carried full sized handguns (1911's, SIG P220's, 226's, Glock 17's, etc) year-round, and it gets hot and steamy here in the summers, and often not all that different than down south. I dont wear shorts, but I often do just wear a tee shirt and jeans in the summers, and a Glock 17, with a reload and a fix blade knife just disappears under it. And I wear my normal sized clothes too, and dont size up.

Im also pretty active, and just dont sit or drive around, Im usually out and about doing something, and when I was working, it was physically, outside year-round.

Im not saying you have to carry something that you dont want to, but I do think a lot of people unnecessarily handicap/limit themselves with what they do carry, and a lot of times, for the wrong reasons.
Old January 23, 2021, 02:09 PM   #97
Alan0354

I cannot imagine semi auto pistol has no jam out of the box. Unless you tell me guns have improved DRASTICALLY over the last 30 years that it's a different world. I still have to see it to believe it. ALL my semi auto had problem right out of the box within the first 50 rounds. I worked on them to improved them. I even sent my S&W 659 for warranty repair and they changed the extractor ( at least they reshaped it) before they sent it back. Still there was jam. I had to buy another extractor and reshape it until it stop jamming.

I don't shoot as much like you guys. For a few years, I wound say I shot like 500 rounds a week, but mostly on .22s. I shot the Gold Cup more as I did join some competitions with it. I was never a marksman. I shot decent. At speed of one shot every 5 or 6 seconds, I put 80% of my rounds into the center black in 25 yards consistently over the long run with 50 to 60 round each session, with my Rugger Mark II, Gold Cup or my longer barrel wheel guns. So I am not exactly a green horn in shooting...........Nothing compare with you guys though.

My experience is all my semi auto pistol become very reliable ONLY after I do a lot of work myself on the feedramp, chamber, ejector, extractor and ejection port. So when I buy another one, I expect that already. Even guy smith might not be able to fix everything as they don't live with the gun. You really have to look at how the empty shell pops out to know what to do. Meaning you have to actually shoot and observe. I managed to make my Gold cup and Walther PPKS pop the shell far, over 6 or 7 ft before hitting the ground, that I can see is reliable ejection. If the shell only pop out one or two feet away and tumbling, the gun is going to stovepipe sooner or later because the shell hits something on the way out.

When I buy the Glock, I would immediately buy the ejector and extractor and the extractor spring, save the original parts and work on the new parts and see what happens. Sounds like Glock is well supported and can buy parts easily.

Last edited by Alan0354; January 23, 2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old January 23, 2021, 02:18 PM   #98
cslinger

Quote:
My experience is all my semi auto pistol become very reliable ONLY after I do a lot of work myself on the feedramp, chamber, ejector, extractor and ejection port. So when I buy another one, I expect that already.
ALL guns will have the occasional bobble or part failure but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at any modern tactical Tupperware and I would caution you to leave the new gun alone as folks usually are the ones who end up making a reliable gun much less so by fixing what ain’t broke so to speak.

Clean it, lube it, run some hotter or heavier ammo for a box or three. That is the extent of what, IMO, a new out of the box gun should get.
Old January 23, 2021, 02:26 PM   #99
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
ALL guns will have the occasional bobble or part failure but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at any modern tactical Tupperware and I would caution you to leave the new gun alone as folks usually are the ones who end up making a reliable gun much less so by fixing what ain’t broke so to speak.

Clean it, lube it, run some hotter or heavier ammo for a box or three. That is the extent of what, IMO, a new out of the box gun should get.
I just edited my post, I will not modify the original parts of the gun, I would buy after market ejector and extractor and work on it to put it in. I can always put back the original parts if all else fails. I saw video and pictures of the barrel feedramp, looks to be well polished, nothing like the old guns I have that I actually have to polish them. So that's good, I can skip that.

Glock seems to have the best after market support, easy to buy parts.
Old January 23, 2021, 02:35 PM   #100
AK103K

Youre best bet with the Glock is to leave it as close to stock as possible. They are usually trouble-free, until you start swapping out the factory parts for aftermarket. There is no need to mess with the extractor or ejector.

The only changes I do to mine is, change out the factory sights with a set of three dot night sights (if it didnt come with them), an extended slide stop, and maybe stipple the grip, depending on the Gen and finish.