The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 7, 2021, 04:07 PM   #1
ciwsguy

Pros/Cons to the CZ 75

Interested in purchasing one. Are there any CZ 75 owners out there that have likes & dislikes? Please chime-in.
ciwsguy
Old March 7, 2021, 04:23 PM   #2
mk70ss

For me, only pros. They feel great in the hand, shoot great, are durable as hell, fairly priced for the quality you get, parts are easy to find (you’ll probably never need any), and they look good.
Old March 7, 2021, 04:48 PM   #3
sevt_chevelle

Con
You buy a CZ...add parts from Cajun gun works....buy another CZ....add more CGW parts...repeat again.

I have a few CZs all have been tricked out by cgw, nothing else interests me anymore.

I use CGW parts for the action, CZ custom for the sights.
Old March 7, 2021, 05:07 PM   #4
ciwsguy

Compact or full size preference? Are all of them aluminum framed or steel? Just wondering
Old March 7, 2021, 05:13 PM   #5
jdc1244

(…trying hard to think of something to dislike…)

It’s an old school, all metal, full size, hammer-fired handgun – not the best option for carry, concealed or otherwise.

Hence the variations on theme, such as my P-01.

I dislike that I like my P-01 a bit more then my 75, the former is a little more fun to shoot.
Old March 7, 2021, 05:23 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy
Compact or full size preference? Are all of them aluminum framed or steel? Just wondering
As a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy, about the only handgun I currently lust for is a CZ-75 compact (the safety version, not the decocker version). I reviewed one a few years ago and I fell in love with it instantly. For me, it not only fits my hand perfectly, it also balances perfectly -- between the balance and the better concealability of the compact barrel, I much prefer the compact over the full-size.
Jeepaholic
Old March 7, 2021, 05:50 PM   #7
zeke

Depends on your hand size, as the older standard trigger can have a long trigger reach. The trigger pull includes moving the hammer back a tad before hitting final release. If memory holds, these are the only 2 new pistols purchased that were already sighted in for 25 yards with off hand index finger on front of trigger guard.

Have 2 steel framed versions of 75b. As others stated, very accurate and durable. Put thin grips on both, and a reduced reach trigger on the compact.

There are multiple newer versions/variations.
Old March 7, 2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Hammerhead

I had a CZ75B, very nice gun for the money.
Very reliable, neat design.
Had a Kadet II 22lr conversion as well.
The single action trigger pull was heavy and rough, not the best for fine target work.
I sold it after deciding not to invest money in a trigger job, now I wish I had kept it and gotten the trigger worked on.
Just a very likeable, shootable, handy pistol.
Old March 7, 2021, 05:56 PM   #9
cslinger

I generally very much like CZ75 variants. I really dig the SP01 and P01/PCR variants. I am a decocker guy at heart.

Here are some of my thoughts on the SP01.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=585851

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=598488
Old March 7, 2021, 05:59 PM   #10
LeverGunFan

I have a CZ-75 Compact; it runs like a top on everything I've fed it, fits my hand well, and is very comfortable to shoot because of the all steel construction. Plus you can carry it (safety version) cocked and locked like a 1911, or DA/SA if preferred. IMO it is one of the classic handgun designs, on par with the 1911 and the Hi Power.
Old March 7, 2021, 06:12 PM   #11
dyl

The first pistol I fired was my friend's CZ 75b in glossy blue. Man. I wish they still made them in glossy blue. The bluing was so smooth that any little bit of CLP would reflect off like oil on a puddle.

Years later I have an SP-01 Tactical, which might be like a modernized version in full steel, full dust cover / picatinny rail under the barrel. The barrel is a little thicker than the CZ75b, and mine has a decocker rather than safety.

The Phantom is like the SP-01 but polymer framed and cheaper by about $100. It's big.

The P-01 is a compact version with aluminum frame. People will mention that it has a Nato NSN stock number which I suppose it means it had to go through some testing and considered decent. Lighter, which is good for carry. And you still won't wear out the frame by shooting it.

Polymer compact hammer fired: CZ P-07.
Polymer full size (extra big mag capacity) hammer fired: CZ P-09. Something like 18-20 rounds? It's ridiculous.
Polymer Striker fired compact: CZ P-10c

Competition models are the Shadow, Shadow 2, Tactical Sport. Maybe more models I'm forgetting...

There's a 22 LR conversion slide for several models that you file nubs of the slide down to just fit your frame for a snug fit. It's expensive but they usually have a good reputation for accuracy.

You'll find people posting pictures about awesome accuracy from all of them. My "problem" with my SP-01 is the weight, but at the same time that's why I bought it. Big, steel, awesome accuracy with little recoil impulse, last several lifetimes (will eventually need a backup slide stop pin, recoil spring, mag spring, trigger return spring like all pistols will). Oh, if you repeatedly dry fire without a snap cap a LOT you could break one of the hollow roll pins, so a preventive measure is to install a spiral roll pin.

If I had a threaded barrel, and didn't have other firearms designated for home defense, it would be a great choice.
Old March 7, 2021, 06:25 PM   #12
dgludwig

I have a CZ 85B (basically a 75 with an ambi-safety) and a 75D Compact. Both are nice pistols (don't expect a target trigger) but I really like the compact model; the perfect edc pistol in my estimation.
Old March 7, 2021, 06:26 PM   #13
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
As a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy, about the only handgun I currently lust for is a CZ-75 compact (the safety version, not the decocker version). I reviewed one a few years ago and I fell in love with it instantly. For me, it not only fits my hand perfectly, it also balances perfectly -- between the balance and the better concealability of the compact barrel, I much prefer the compact over the full-size.
I'm kinda the opposite. 1911 guy and the basic 75 compact grip just doesn't fit right, I always keep trying to get higher on the beavertail and it leads to a painful shooting experience. Don't have that issue with the full size, it's a delight in my hands.

OP

Only Con to the 75 series, for me, is the safety location does not fit my hand/grip well, it's too far back and doesn't disengage as smoothly and reliably as I prefer.

But that's a my hand size and preference thing, can't say you'll have the same experience.

Apart from that, good trigger (which can be made so much better), reliable, well made, accurate, good ergos.

Heavy, I guess is the other thing if you want to carry it.
Old March 7, 2021, 07:28 PM   #14
jonnyc

I have a Pre-B that I love...lusted after one since high school. Put on some slightly thinner grips and I love it even more. Can't think of a single con, except for maybe the weight. But for a range, duty, or combat weapon it would be one of my first choices.
Old March 7, 2021, 08:52 PM   #15
fastlane

I have the all steel P01 that has the CGW pro-kit installed by CGW. My wife has a P01 aluminum decocker version. It also has the CGW pro-kit installed by CGW. Both pistols are fantastic with regards to reliability and accuracy. My P01 compares very favorably to my S&W model 15 with a 6” barrel. My wife’s P01 is in another class it preforms better and is more accurate then my P01 with Dawson adj sites and my model 15. I spoke with David from CGW and he said that thangs come together that make one pistol more accurate then others. Very happy with both P01.
Old March 7, 2021, 09:10 PM   #16
ciwsguy

Thanks fellas. I’m sold on the compact 75. I have enough polymer handguns so I’m going to metal framed CZ 75 compact.
Old March 7, 2021, 09:13 PM   #17
ciwsguy

Just out of curiosity, how does the 75 compare to a Beretta 92? I’ve fired a 92F and it had a very sweet trigger out of the box.
Old March 7, 2021, 09:14 PM   #18
Victor252

My plain-Jane CZ 75B gives my more expensive 1911 a run for its money. I've let friends who own customized Glocks/XDMs and they thought it was a tricked-out race gun. They shot it slightly better than their own guns right off the bat. You know that's a great sign.

I haven't had the heart to send it to Cajun Gun Works because I love it the way it is. I might buy another and trick it out, or just buy a Shadow 2. I guess addiction is a downside of CZ 75s.
Old March 7, 2021, 09:18 PM   #19
Victor252

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does the 75 compare to a Beretta 92? I’ve fired a 92F and it had a very sweet trigger out of the box.
The 92's are known for a good trigger but I think the CZ 75 has better grip ergonomics and controls. I haven't used a Beretta with a vertec grip so who knows? I just shoot my 75B in single action (it's not the decocker model) so the double action trigger pull isn't a big concern for me.
Old March 7, 2021, 10:42 PM   #20
JDBerg

I have a CZ 75B with the CZ Custom F.O. front & blind battlesight rear sight set. With the overhang of that rear sight, I needed the CZC race hammer installed on it to let me thumb-cock the hammer. I’ve had trigger work done to it, although the stock trigger really isn’t all that bad.

IMHO I would say that the only real “con” is the stock sights. The gun really fulfills its intended purpose beautifully as a great 9mm range gun.

Last edited by JDBerg; March 10, 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old March 7, 2021, 11:21 PM   #21
sevt_chevelle

Lets see.
Have decocker compacts both in alloy and steel. The PCR alloy is my edc. The steel framed compact decocker is a recent buy, plans unknown yet.

Full size...One of them being a tricked out trans Pre B model, the trigger will make most 1911 jealous.

P09..Equipped with a streamlight tlr1 resides by my bed, highly accurate and smooth shooting.

97. 45 ACP goodness I'll take this over 1911s any day.

Shadow 2 optic ready model
Old March 7, 2021, 11:57 PM   #22
rc

The only drawback for some is the thin slide profile. But quality, handling and reliability are top shelf. I prefer CZs to Sig, HK, S&W, Glock etc. CZ's always shoot great.
Old March 8, 2021, 12:00 AM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

1. The design that puts the slide inside the rails means a bit less gripping surface on the slide for racking it.

2. Along the same lines, because the slide rails are exposed on the outside of the slide when racking the gun, lubrication can get on your fingers during the racking process, or when clearing malfunctions.

3. They tend to be a bit on the heavy side.

4. Some of them come with magazine brakes which I'm not a big fan of.

5. Some of them come with philips head grip screws which, for some reason, really bothered me--I replaced the screws on mine as soon as I got a chance.

None of those are very serious complaints. I have a couple of them so clearly having that list wasn't enough to keep me from buying my second one.
Old March 8, 2021, 12:08 AM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy
I prefer the CZ, but I don't have a lot of trigger time on Berettas (because I don't like them and would never own one).
Jeepaholic
Old March 8, 2021, 12:39 AM   #25
TunnelRat

Pros/Cons to the CZ 75

The Beretta 92A1 I have had a much better stock trigger than the CZ 75s I've owned,

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 8, 2021 at 08:56 AM.