The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2021, 04:29 PM   #51
JohnKSa
Staff

Since there's significant discussion comparing the 92FS and the 75, here's my take.

The triggers on both are pretty light and should not be a hindrance to accurate shooting. The Beretta DA is probably a bit nicer than the CZ75 DA. The CZ75 SA is lighter, but has more creep than the Beretta SA.

The CZ grip is smaller (or at least feels smaller to me) and fits my hand better than the Beretta grip. That said, I shoot both well and have no problems with either.

The CZ is a good bit heavier, though slimmer.

Accessories, holsters, parts & magazines are much more available for the Beretta and tend to be cheaper.

The CZ might have an edge in durability, although both should hold up to far more shooting than most gun-owners will ever do with a single firearm.

My Beretta 92FS pistols have been more reliable than my CZ75 pistols. Not by a lot, but the Berettas seem to eat anything I feed them while one of my CZ75 pistols seems to be a little pickier about ammunition it likes.

I don't think there's much difference in accuracy--both are very accurate with ammo they like.
Old March 14, 2021, 12:44 PM   #52
lee40215

The only con is you buy one you will buy another
Old March 15, 2021, 05:03 AM   #53
jetinteriorguy

I’ve owned five CZ’s, and have kept one. I’ve had a P09, 2-p07’s, 75BD, and a 75B SA. I’ve kept the Single Action and it’s the best semi auto 9mm I’ve ever had.
Old March 15, 2021, 11:57 AM   #54
wild cat mccane

Smaller following that just likes CZ. That's fine.

Never heard an X5 being less accurate with external rails. "so go buy an X5 that is now out of production" good point.

Stock trigger leaves a lot to be desired. Cult following always points to Cajun Works as if these solutions aren't expensive.

For the price, yeah it isn't garbage (but there isn't much out there that is just garbage to begin with?). Lack of higher end pistols makes it more attractive. Features alone? Meh to this non follower

Is a P226 with an SRT less accurate? No.

Just feature searching for people who like CZ, but I don't think they stand out more than others if you don't care about CZ.
Old March 15, 2021, 12:42 PM   #55
T. O'Heir

"...on your hand size..." Yep. When the 75 first came into the shop I worked in, nearly 40 years ago, I tried one on for size. Too big. Been crying ever since.
Every one of 'em came with a factory test target in the box. Made me cry even more. sniff.
"...compare to a Beretta 92..." It's even bigger.
Mind you, none of those so called 'Wonder Nines' fit normal sized hands. The original Wonder Nine, the BHP fits nicely though.
Factory triggers don't matter. All of 'em require a trigger job out of the box.
Old March 15, 2021, 01:38 PM   #56
wild cat mccane

A D spring in the 92, an SRT in the P226, or a billion dollar Cajun work on the 75, it's amazing how the Walther P99 SA/DA, PPQ SA, and HK VP9 triggers are just better in all measures of "better" than the metal wonder 9mms that so often get the pedestal for "better"
Old March 15, 2021, 02:58 PM   #57
shurshot

Those CZ's are pretty slick, as is the Beretta / Taurus 92, but they don't fit my hand nearly as well as my Gramps old S&W 39-2 he bought new in 1974! I'll take the smaller mag capacity S&W 39 series 9mm's for a FAR more ergonomic grip over the wondernines.
Old March 15, 2021, 07:39 PM   #58
ciwsguy

Well they don’t make that anymore, do they? The question was about the CZ 75, please
Old March 16, 2021, 08:29 AM   #59
Skans

CZ 75B cons:

1. They are relatively heavy and not as easy to carry, being all steel.
2. I don't care for the standard black coating finish. The stainless steel guns are nice. Also, CZ made a few in high-polish glossy blue. I have one of those and would never part with it.
3. In stock configuration, they experience a bit of hammer-camming. This is by design and can be eliminated with aftermarket parts.

That's about all I can think of. Like others have said, the CZ 75B is an excellent gun.
Old March 17, 2021, 04:18 PM   #60
Metric

I found myself wishing for a compact, carryable version of the Sig P210, with a steel frame and set up with a high-cap magazine.

Then I realized this was basically a CZ 75 compact, carried cocked-and-locked. So I got one.

It is in the top tier of practical accuracy of handguns I have. Somehow just more easy to hit the target.

Downside for carry simply the weight.
Old March 17, 2021, 08:56 PM   #61
sevt_chevelle

A PCR solves that issue, but it only comes in the decocker model. Tri-star makes a CZ clone, they have an alloy framed compact with safety.

And no one doesn't need a billion dollar Cajun, their 17 dollar spring kit and some polishing on the trigger bar does wonders.
Old March 17, 2021, 09:15 PM   #62
cslinger

Am I the only guy on the net who learns and shoots stock triggers? CZ triggers out of the box aren’t that bad.

Ok so I have built a couple 10/22s but beyond that my triggers are stock.
Old March 18, 2021, 12:34 AM   #63
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Am I the only guy on the net who learns and shoots stock triggers?
Most of my guns have stock triggers. And yes, I agree that the CZ75 trigger, as it comes, is pretty good.
Old March 18, 2021, 01:16 AM   #64
hemiram

I have CZ's and clones with everything from stock to custom shop triggers and while I like the smoothness of the ones that have been worked on, to me, it's not all that big a deal and having them done did little but lighten my wallet up a lot. I have a CZ Custom Shop P07 and the similar Sphinx SDP Compact, and the Sphinx is nearly a nice a trigger out of the box as the CZ does, and it cost over $100 less. The sight upgrade on the CZ is nice though.
Old March 18, 2021, 05:46 AM   #65
zeke

The stock cz's owned have decent triggers, but both have the hammer moving back right before it releases. Not that big of a deal if you get used to it, but seems hand/finger position is more important to straight back follow through. There were parts/gunsmiths that can make a "clean" trigger break. Am not sure if the newer target/sa models have this or not.
Old March 18, 2021, 09:24 AM   #66
CZRex

I, too, have no issue with stock triggers on CZ's. I've had 5...still have the PCR and Rami BD.
Old March 18, 2021, 04:18 PM   #67
lll Otto lll

Had it not been for 75’s crappy trigger....Cajun Gun Works wouldn’t even exist.
And to quote Angus Hobdell of CZ Custom “trigger jobs are our bread and butter”.
Old March 18, 2021, 04:50 PM   #68
sevt_chevelle

Nope, once I got my trans model done going backwards wasn't gonna happen.
Old March 19, 2021, 05:00 PM   #69
ciwsguy

Picked up a new CZ75 Compact PCR today. A bit difficult to rack the slide since the slide rides inside the frame and there’s not much slide serrations to grab onto. That will take some “getting used to”. The rear sight looks a bit pushed to the right off centerline.
Haven’t fired this yet, but we’re anyones rear sight appear to be off center when purchased?
Wondering.
Old March 19, 2021, 08:03 PM   #70
dgludwig

Quote:
Haven’t fired this yet, but we’re anyones rear sight appear to be off center when purchased?
Not too unusual (depending how far off "center" it is). I advise shooting the pistol first to determine poi vis-a-vis poa before moving the sight in any direction.
Old March 19, 2021, 10:56 PM   #71
JohnKSa
Staff

Maybe they didn't get it centered up at the factory, maybe they adjusted it to shoot to point of aim.

You won't know which until you shoot it and see if it shoots to point of aim.
Old March 26, 2021, 11:27 AM   #72
bill460

The only "downside" is that you keep buying more. I'm at 8 now, and I'm sure there are still a few more in my future.

Old March 27, 2021, 10:07 PM   #73
rodfac

I too have rarely resorted to getting trigger jobs for my guns. My 1911's...meant for Bullseye competition have been touched up by a pro however.

I've found that each manuf. has a different feel to their triggers, that needs to be learned before declaring oneself proficient. To whit: The Browning HP vs most any 1911, vs Sig's DA/SA mode of fire, vs. the Glock 'breaking rubber band' trigger and none remotely resemble a good DA revolver....With 50 years + of shooting them all, it's been fun learning new tricks...a delightful part of the game.

A good SA trigger (the standard in my world would be most any S&W) is a joy to work with...but I've also found that the two stage military type allows me a better feel for the gun...I just shoot better with them.

All in all, my favorite would be a 1911 with a 4.5# trigger for most any work...and about the same on my Single Action Colts and Rugers. My least favorite is the Glock's striker trigger, but I'll readily admit that I shoot the Glocks as well as any of the others at speed and only really object to their feel in deliberate, precision slow fire.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 28, 2021, 05:27 AM   #74
hemiram

The only trigger that really bothers me is the S&W hinged one they put on the M&P guns. There is something about it that just annoys me. It's not a gun I would ever buy, so it's not really a big deal.