The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2011, 12:42 PM   #1
jason75979

6.5 Remington Magnum

Hey guys, I joined bout 2 yrs ago and decided to get in to reading. After reading an excellent post by David Georgia I took his advice and purchased literature on reloading and spent about a year studying before equipping myself and of course beginning. Well, now I have a small problem.

I'm wanting to reload 120 grain Barnes tipped Tsx bullets for my remmy 6.5mag, but Barnes offers no data for this particular cartridge. Does anyone out there happen to have any data available. If not any good ideas on how to start working up my own?

After some research, I've compared 270 win loads, case capacity, and velocities with different powders and find that they are really similar. Would you recommend using a starting load, or maybe figuring an average difference between the two and possibly beginning there? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
PawPaw

Call Barnes and ask them?

From the Hodgdon reloading pages, it looks like the cartridge does well with H4831 and powders of that burning rate. I'd bet that Reloder 22 would work well in that cartridge.

As in all thing reloading, be diligent, start slow and work up.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 18, 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
jason75979

lucky me

Thanks papa. Just got email from Barnes and it seems they had data in their 3rd volume bot ommitted it from their 4th. Wealthy were nice enough to provide that info free of charge. Good company IMO. Any other info is appreciated.