The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2011, 11:42 PM   #1
finz50

Beginner....help me choose my equipmnet!

New potential reloader here asking for some advice. Seriously looking to get into reloading, so figured I'd see what advice you all might have for me. Right now I am an NRA instructor and newbie to IDPA shooting. As a result I shoot around 200-500 rounds per month, depending on how much available time I have. I'm looking at reloading .380, 9mm, .45, possibly .38sp/.357 mag for handguns and more than likely rifle ammo in .223/5.56 and 30-06 calibers. I don't shoot enough shotgun at this time to justify reloading it anytime soon.

I'm presently reading the ABC's of Reloading (9th edition) and plan on taking the NRA Metallic Reloading Course (online, unfortunately) so I can get "smart" on the subject before I get in over my head. I want to take it slow and make sure I understand every step of the way and am 100% confident that I want to start with a single-stage setup (and potentially move to a turret or progressive a few years down the road).

I'm torn right now between two setups: The Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Kitand the Lee Breech Lock Anniversary Kit. I can get the Hornady for around $320 shipped or the Lee for $110 locally. The Hornady appears, for whatever reason to me, to be better made than the Lee. I am not sure that I can justify the difference though in the price...that's what's killing me! I know Lee's reputation is somewhat questionable by some folks. But the Hornady LnL costs 3x as much...either way I'm not one that likes to look back and regret things so that's why my gut tells me to get the LnL, but I also don't like spending money I don't need to so my brain keeps pulling me towards the Lee..aarrgghhh....

Also debating between the Lyman Twin Turbo an Lyman 1200 Pro tumblers...thoughts?

Someone please give me your inputs, pro's/con's, whatever else you got!

Last edited by finz50; January 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2
SShooterZ

Check out the RCBS kit also. The Rock Chucker single stage metallic press is hard to beat.

For handgun, especially with the amount of shooting you're doing, maybe a Dillion progressive model might be your friend.

Don't forget a good scale too. Always want to check those loads!
Old January 12, 2011, 12:25 AM   #3
jcvibby

I would also say the RCBS rock chucker kit is good to go. Check it out.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:03 AM   #4
jmortimer

If you shoot a lot you will like a progressive more than a single stage. A compromise is a turret press. I always recommend reading the reviews on Midway USA and Cabelas for any piece of equipment you are considering. If you go the single stage route check out the Lee Precision Classic Cast/Breech Lock or the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press. They are the highest rated single stage and turret press regardless of price. I would pay more for the Lee Precision Classic models as they will last a lifetime. You will be happy with the Hornady Lock N Load as well. The kit is a good way to start and it is nice to have a single stage around to do dedicated tasks and small batches.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Shoney

finz50
It sounds like you are headed down that long dark path, that when your standing there blasting away with your home crafted custom ammo, you will be grinning from ear to ear!

I started loading in 1960 with a Pacific single stage (forerunner of Hornady), and I still use it occasionally. Along the way, I've picked up another single stage, a 550, and a Hornady LNL AP. Although I do the lions share of my reloading on the LNL, I occasionally have use for the other 3 presses.

If I were to start new today, I would get the Lee Classic Turret Kit. I've listened to many comments on presses and the people who sell them. Kempf's Gun Shop is located a short distance from the Lee Factory and by every report, are great people to work with. Check this out:

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=41

The beauty of the Lee Clasic is that you can use it as a single stage (set so ther turret doesn't turn) or in the turret auto advance mode.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 12, 2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

I couldn't help answering twice

I recently repopulated my entire loading bench. A summary of the story is here:

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

It is entitled "Budget Beginning Bench You Will Never Outgrow".

I went with the Lee Classic Turret because it fits my style and is sufficient for my needs. It can operate like a single stage, but since the Lee Classic Turret and Lee Deluxe Turret are the only turrets with auto-indexing, the choice was a no-brainer. They are intrinsically faster than a manual-indexing turret of any stripe. (Lee Classic Turret is the much better choice between the two.)

Lee makes some cheap stuff, sure, but most of their stuff is not cheap at all. It is just less expensive.

I prefer cast iron. It wears better than aluminum, though it is heavier and moderately more expensive. I believe you will be equally happy with the Lee or the Hornady and will never regret having a decent one-piece single stage (I will never get rid of my RockChucker - great leverage). Do get the Breech-lock. It saves time changing and readjusting dies.

With the kind of quantities you are going to be reloading, you will want something that produces a lot of rounds per hour. I think you are very close to the crossover point between a Turret and a progressive. Look at the Dillons, Lee Loadmaster or Hornady.

Good luck. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old January 12, 2011, 04:03 AM   #7
finz50

Just went to the Hornady website and apparently they're extending their free 500 rounds of ammo promotion through 2011.....that's got me leaning towards getting the LnL Classic and some 30-06 bullets....that should bring the value down to about $170 for the Hornady LnL Classic for me.....Am I over thinking this decision??
Old January 12, 2011, 04:45 AM   #8
PIGMAN

The only thing I can add here is to get an RCBS decapping die for your 30/06The decapping pins in the re-sizing die tend to break unless they are perfectly alligned with the flash hole.If you are full length re-sizing it is hard to tell if its alligned and when its not the pin breaks causing unnecessary aggrivation. For smaller cases such as hand gun cartriges and the .223 the decapping pin in the re-sizing die seems to work fine.Even though it requires an extra trip thru the press I like decapping first and then re-sizing in two steps. If you have one 30/06 you may want to neck size only because it is easier than full length re-sizing and it makes your brass last alot longer.You can get a neck sizing die made to only size the neck or you can use a full length sizing die and just size the neck by not forcing the case in to the die beond the point where the plug passes thru the neck. If you are loading 30/06 for two or more rifles you can either full length re-size or keep the brass seperated for each rifle and neck size for both.Also get a universal RCBS kinetic bullet puller when somthing goes wrong with the seating of the bullet.If your .223 is semi auto you may want to get what is called a small base die re-sizing die.These dies are made by RCBS and are designed to full length re-size for semi auto rifles. Cases should always be full length re-sized for use in all semi auto rifles.

One other piece of advice is do not over load. Loading to SAMMI maximum pressures is hard on the gun and hard on your cases. an extra 200 fps really does not matter.What works for me is to take the max powder charge and add it to the minimum powder charge and divide by two which gives me the average.

Last edited by PIGMAN; January 12, 2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:21 AM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I would reccomend a Lee Aniversary Kit. Use the money you save to upgrade to a better scale. Also I would reccomend the Lee Dies also. Spend all of the money you saved on supplies, and shoot up all of the ammo you made.
Old January 12, 2011, 06:27 AM   #10
bumnote

Quote:
Also debating between the Lyman Twin Turbo an Lyman 1200 Pro tumblers...thoughts?
I have one and have been happy with it...even though 9 times out of 10 I'm using the larger bowl. I started reloading a year ago and I bought the Lyman turret press kit...I think it ran me $350 or so. I could start slowly, using it like a single stage when I started and then as I got comfortable I began using the turret they way it was designed to be used. Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Redding...IMO any of the name brand stuff will do the trick just fine. My reason for picking the Lyman was the kit came with things I needed that weren't in the others I looked at...not that I couldn't add them but it made things simple to start with. I've added to that set up since and replaced a couple of things, but that kit was more than good enough to start me off.
This board was (and still is) a great help, they are a lot of great people here with good advice and it's been a huge help to me.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:26 AM   #11
gregjc9

Like the OP, I also shoot a lot, and shoot IDPA when I can. I've been reloading for a little over a year, and started out with the Lee Classic Turret. I got the kit from Cabela's and it included everything needed to get started except for the dies/turrets, and components.

I have reclently "graduated" to a Hornady LNL, and just love it. BUT, I dont see how I would have kept my sanity if I started out on a progressive press. The conventional wisdom for new reloaders is to start out on a non-progressive press. There's a good reason for this - there's a lot going on at the same time, and it is very easy to loose track of where you are.

Even your projected round volume is high, I still suggest you start out with the Lee Classic Turret kit, it will server you well. Once you have your feet wet, and things are starting to make more sense, then upgrade to a progressive. Just my dos centavos.

Greg
Old January 12, 2011, 09:17 AM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

Nothing wrong with Lee stuff. I would recommend the Lee Turret press as a good beginners press that has the ability to put out the number of rounds you need in a decent amount of time. The Lee Turret press can be ran single stage or it has an auto-indexing feature that rotates the turret every pull of the handle. Four pulls of the handle and you have a complete round (decap/prime, flare/powder, seat bullet, crimp). You can easily put out over 100 rounds an hour with this press and when I'm really moving I've hit 200.

Its not quite as well made as some other presses but it has some very nice features, like the auto-indexing and increased production over a single-stage press, and for the price it is a hard press to beat for a beginner. I've found it to be an accurate and reliable press.
Old January 12, 2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Xfire68

You can't go wrong with the Hornady LNL kit! It is of high quality and will last you a lifetime!

That said you also can't go wrong getting a Lee Classic Turret Press either!

I have the Lee Classic Turret and just got a new Hornady LNL AP press and although I am enjoying my new baby I will not be getting rid of my Lee Turret press anytime soon!
Old January 12, 2011, 09:24 AM   #14
rdmallory

I would get the Lee Precision Classic Turret Press and use it as a single stage until you got used to it. It is not much more than a single stage. One good thing about the turret is with the number of different calibers you are reloading each one can be set up in it's own disc. You can change calibers in seconds.

Doug
Old January 12, 2011, 09:25 AM   #15
overkill0084

^^^
Get the Turret kit. I have the challenger kit and it's ok. But get the Turret because you won't stay a novice for long.
I hated the Lee Scale, YMMV. It didn't last past my first session.
The Lee Perfect Powder measure works well, but it can be a bit fiddly & it has a cheap feel to it. I ended up replacing it. I would love to see Lee take the design and build it with high quality materials, it would be quite nice.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 12, 2011, 09:32 AM   #16
jaguarxk120

Start with quality equipement that you can afford. Tooling from Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and Redding will will serve you better than the cheap stuff.

As one guy signs off with "The Bitterness of Poor Quality is Remembered Long After the Sweetness of Low Price has Faded from Memory." Aldo Gucci

You want equipment that will work for you first time, not having to tweek, polish, hone, or adjust in some way out of the norm.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Sevens

Quote:
Just went to the Hornady website and apparently they're extending their free 500 rounds of ammo promotion through 2011.....that's got me leaning towards getting the LnL Classic and some 30-06 bullets....that should bring the value down to about $170 for the Hornady LnL Classic for me.....Am I over thinking this decision?
I wouldn't say that you are over thinking anything, but you are over-valuing the free bullets.

The free bullets are a great bonus but you are still outlaying the cash. Would you be buying those bullets with cash if not for the free offer? And how much would you be paying for them?

Buy what you want or need and consider the free bullets to be a bonus.

If I were picking between a LnL Classic and a Lee Breech Lock Challenger, I'd skip them both and buy the Lee Classic Cast, or better yet, the Classic Turret. These two presses are the most press for the least money.

I'd buy items rather than a kit, but I'd have to take a closer look at the kit to see what's in it.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:23 AM   #18
FtrPilot

I have been loading for just over 2 years. Like gregjc9, I started out with the Lee Classic Turret. After 6 months I graduated to the Hornady LNL progressive and love it.

I would recommend that you start on a single stage or turret press to learn the basics and gain some experience. I believe that starting on a progressive would be a disaster in the making.

Also, don't forget reading material and reference books.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:44 AM   #19
bozhoz

I started with the Hornady LNL kit and recently switched over the Lee Classic Turret. Yes, it does not appear to be as high of quality as the Hornady, but my rounds come out just as precise if not more so, and faster, and I'm not going to use the plastic powder hopper as a hammer, so I think it should last just fine.

I spent about 1 year with the Hornady and it just took me too long to load rounds for 9mm pistol. If you are making rounds in batches of 50 or so, it would be just fine, but I wanted a little faster without the cost and headache of a progressive. The Turret did this just fine at about the same price as the Hornady.

I compare it to buying my first motorcycle. I wanted a 750cc and my friend told me to go bigger, you will grow out of the 750 quickly... he was right. To me, it is the same with the presses. The Hornady is the 500cc, the Lee Turret is the 1100cc, and the Progressive is the 1800cc.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:17 PM   #20
BombthePeasants

I cannot brag enough about the Lee Classic Turret press. I recommend the kit sold through Cabelas, has everything you need, for $189.99. Yeah, the Lee scale might not be the best, but once you get your loads settled on, everything else is awesome in that kit.

CORRECTION: it's no longer listed at the sale price, it's now $199.99
Old January 12, 2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I will fourth, fifth?, sixth?, the Lee Classic Turret.

It's pretty hard to even make a logical argument for starting with anything less.

It will do anything a single stage will do, but a lot more too.... most of what a progressive can do.... but with better control of the process at a more reasonable pace for a newbie.

I use my Classic Turret to produce rifle ammo that shoots 1/2 MOA, or better, and pistol ammo at a rate of 200 rounds an hour.... and I can switch from one to the other in 10 seconds flat.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:12 PM   #22
zippy13

May I suggest, what ever press you select, start off with the .45ACP. It's a nice big case and is easy to work with. Don't consider bottle necked rifle cartridges until you are totally comfortable working with the straight walled cases.

As for your loader selection, there's always the option of buying a progressive press and loading it singly until you are totally familiar with its operation and are confident to step-up to utilizing its full capacity. Eventually, you may find that you prefer a progressive for pistol ammo and a single stage, or turret, for bottle necks.

Last edited by zippy13; January 12, 2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: errant apostrophe
Old January 12, 2011, 01:50 PM   #23
BigJimP

Lots of good input ...but given your methodical approach ....it seems to me you'll be a lot happier with the LNL. Plus you have the option on the LNL of installing their powder cop die .....and that's a big additional safety factor - that I think is really worth considering.

I've been reloaing for 50+ yrs ....and a single stage will be fine for rifle rounds ...but it gets really frustrating, because it takes so much time, when it comes to handgun ammo vs a Progressive machine.

I 2nd the idea - of starting with a forgiving round like the .45acp .....big, sturdy case - low pressure ...easy to reload and get your procedures dialed in and your confidence up.

The amount of money you'll be saving per box - makes a progressive an easy decision in my view - especially if you expect to keep doing this for 20+ yrs ...although, with the money we save - we just actually shoot more ( but thats not all bad either ). I had a day off yesterday ...but too cold and wet to go out and shoot Skeet ....so I hung around the house ....and loaded up about 60 boxes of 9mm ammo yesterday morning ...in about 4 hours - and went over to my local indoor range yesterday afternoon - with 8 boxes and had some fun ....( with 3 different guns ....) for a total expense of about $40 ....
Old January 12, 2011, 05:03 PM   #24
jb683

I started with the Lee stuff, and still using it. I have upgraded to the Hornady auto charge for powder but the Lee dies and press work great. Lee's customer service is not bad either...
Old January 12, 2011, 09:34 PM   #25
stu925

For the amount of ammo you're shooting on a regular basis, buy a turret press. The hornady Lock N Load AP qualifies for the 500 bullets if you're going that route. Single stage presses are great for learning, but you can do the same thing with a turret press and you will appreciate that turret later on down the line after you get comfortable with the reloading process. I wish I'd bought a turret press 15 years ago when I started reloading, that being said, I would never part with either of my 2 rockchucker presses. I still use the rockchuckers for rifle cartridges.

Stu