The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2017, 12:04 PM   #1
condor bravo

Hi-Tek coating

The .38 Special lubricated cast DEWCs I have been using with the Smith mdl 52-2 produce considerable smoking from the lubricant. Paging through the net came across SNScasting that has the same DEWC with Hi-Tek coating so immediately ordered 500 on the assumption that Hi-Tek does not result in smoking. Many have commented favorably on that coating. Am I correct on my non-smoking assumption?

SNS says they are changing the coating color from Old Gold to Brick Red, same formula, just using a different dye.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:08 PM   #2
74A95

The polymer coated bullets have significantly less smoke than traditionally lubed bullets.

You might find this article of interest: https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...r-handloaders/
Old May 24, 2017, 12:19 PM   #3
KEYBEAR

Been using them for two or three years now love them . I buy from SNS also good people to buy from . I do not miss the bullet lube at all .
Old May 24, 2017, 12:22 PM   #4
condor bravo

The article provides a good explanation of Hi-Tek. Some smoking may remain but reduced considerably.
Old May 24, 2017, 01:46 PM   #5
mikld

I have used Hi-Tek coated bullets in my 9mms and 45 ACPs. Only about 1,200 and they preform like jacketed bullets for me, and no smoke. I purchased mine from Precision Bullets https://www.google.com/search?q=coat...hrome&ie=UTF-8 I got a bit of fouling in my 45 ACP, but it came out with an application of Wipe Out...

But if you wanna do it yourself, check out this forum; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...d-Alternatives
Old May 24, 2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Coated bullets will surely smoke less than wax lubed. Some smell strongly.
The question is, will a coated wadcutter shoot as accurately as waxed?
Only one was to find out. Shoot them.
Old May 24, 2017, 03:56 PM   #7
robhic

I use the Hi-Tek bullets from Bayou Bullets (they're just down the hi-way from me). I've not loaded full-power hot loads, more middle ground. I get no smoke (at least that I've noticed) and just a bit of burning plastic smell. Indoor range but not a big deal. I like 'em! http://www.bayoubullets.net/
Old May 24, 2017, 05:19 PM   #8
condor bravo

From the posts and links, the Hi-Teks will be the way to go. Other vendors I have checked do not carry the DEWCs as does SNS; understandable since there wouldn't be that much call for them. Possibly will need other handgun calibers. Only coated bullets I have used are rifle black moly coats from Bear Creek that do not emit any smoke whatsoever.
Old May 27, 2017, 04:40 PM   #9
condor bravo

The SNS Hi-Tek .38 DEWCs, brick red in color, have arrived and were given a tryout. Like most everyone has said, there was very mild smoking but hardly noticeable. So I guess it's back to SNS for some .45s and maybe some .40s, although I'm not much of a fan for the .40 S&W.
Old May 28, 2017, 08:02 AM   #10
std7mag

I had recently gotten a box of Missouri bullets for the 9mm with the coating. Accuracy was all over the place...

Then realized that I was reloading them wayyyy too hot...

Took the speed down to the 900-950fps range, and got the accuracy back.
Old May 28, 2017, 09:51 AM   #11
condor bravo

Accuracy was certainly good with the DEWCs using HP-38 powder. I'm fortunate to have two .38 Special semi-autos, a Smith mdl 52-2 and a Colt Gold Cup, the latter is almost non-existent any more. I seat the bullets flush for both although the Colt can use the button type WC. Were your bullets from Missouri the new brick red color? Hi-Tek is certainly a winner.
Old May 28, 2017, 01:23 PM   #12
std7mag

I guess I should have mentioned that I was used to using plated bullets, before trying the coated ones.
Old May 29, 2017, 09:13 AM   #13
black mamba

All the coated bullets I've used have been in either 44 or 45 caliber, but best accuracy has always come between 925 and 1,000 fps, regardless of the powder used.